Need advice on how to be more aggressive when sparring

M

Mormegil

I find tend to not be aggressive enough (in my opinion) while sparring. Specifically with my punching.

I think my fear of getting hit keeps my guard up (especially my rear hand), which makes my combos very infrequent. Since I'm not putting my opponent on the defensive, I find myself on the defensive.

I know the answer is to attack, but I have a hard time being aggressive. Any suggestions?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mormegil said:
I find tend to not be aggressive enough (in my opinion) while sparring. Specifically with my punching.

I think my fear of getting hit keeps my guard up (especially my rear hand), which makes my combos very infrequent. Since I'm not putting my opponent on the defensive, I find myself on the defensive.

I know the answer is to attack, but I have a hard time being aggressive. Any suggestions?

Maybe you could try some shadow boxing and bag and pad work! Imagine some scenarios where you are being attacked and actually fight as if it were for real. My instructor will say to us while we are performing our forms sometimes to do them as if we were being attacked!
But don't get too aggressive, because that could let you down if you are sparring or even fighting against a skilled person.
When I have been hit I usually step it up a notch because the thought of being hit annoys me so much that it can get me fired up sometimes.
So instead of thinking "oh no I'm getting hit!" Instead " how dare you hit me!"
Maybe you could also think of things and people who you don't like, who have upset you or causes you are passionate about, injustices, a bully at school, an unfair boss, having to wait in traffic, someone cutting you up on the road, your phone or garage bill, and while thinking of this you will practice your strikes as if you are fighting back at all this!
But don't underestimate fear because fear keeps you alert, it warns you of danger, but merely use that little aggression to balance it out!

OP
M

moving target

I would practice two and three punch combos a bunch. Than in sparring limit your self to at least a 1,2. You will probably get clocked some times but if you force yourself to use combinations you will get more used to it.

OP
T

TonyM.

Stole my thunder. All of the above is good stuff.

OP
C

clapping_tiger

eat tons of red meat and raw eggs ;)

OP
M

Mormegil

clapping_tiger said:
eat tons of red meat and raw eggs ;)

Maybe I should add steroids to that recipe!

But seriously. Thanks for the advice guys.

I already work combinations on the bag (75% of my bag work combo work). It's fine when there isn't a possibility of being hit back. It's just when I'm sparring.

I guess I just have to willpower myself to throwing more combos.

As far as imagining someone I hate, maybe that's something to try.

OP
R

RHD

Mormegil said:
Maybe I should add steroids to that recipe!

But seriously. Thanks for the advice guys.

I already work combinations on the bag (75% of my bag work combo work). It's fine when there isn't a possibility of being hit back. It's just when I'm sparring.

I guess I just have to willpower myself to throwing more combos.

As far as imagining someone I hate, maybe that's something to try.

Try some slow motion, half contact level sparring and or semi cooperative free flow drills to ease into a comfort zone. It's very natural to be hesitant when sparring, but by taking small steps great gains can be made.
Mike

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's sounds to me that we're talking not so much about agressiveness as we are about confidence. There are two ways to build your confidence: 1) Have a plan. and 2) Mix it up, ramping up the intensity as you progress. That's where having a good training partner comes in. One of the exercises I do with my students is to have them spar me and I will strictly defend, only reaching out and touching them when I see an opening. Starts out as a "no threat" environment and works its way up to developing confidence in using what they know. Then we kick it up a notch... and it's back to building their confidence at a higher level.

A basic exercise yes, but it teaches them to trust their training. (Also use a variation of the exercise to teach contact.)

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

OP

Mormegil said:

Use fakes such as a jab and almost simultainiously just do a simple kick or vice versa. when you start connecting with some movements like these you will start to build more aggression. Aside from that just maybe let someone just hit you several times (not hard but controlled) before you start sparing, just to get used to the idea of being hit. Pain is temporary anyways. Broken bones just take a little longer to heal.

OP
I

InvisibleFist

Try looking at them through the roots of your eyeballs...and keep your eyes open WIDE...sounds simple, but it works.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I was sparring last night and I was doing some techniques that would never be allowed in a competition! But because I didn't like the fact this guy I was sparring with was making contact a bit too easy I stepped it up a bit and used a little bit more aggression. But you have to use caution, because it doesn't always work for you! I think I gave as good as I got but you have to remember you're not trying to kill each other. I respect other people's skill and so should other people. But as they say practice makes perfect!
You have to watch what your oppoent does, what seems to work for them!
Look out for any weaknesses and openings!

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would advise not thinking as much. Fear is often an emotion which crosses over to dramatically affect our reasoning and ability. Once you lose your fear of impact (conditioning I would advertise to help with this) you will find your agression levels to improve. Also attempt to practice forms of sparring and self-defense in series of movements, with a constant flow. Work on controlling the area of combat, and situation, and always stress efficiency.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's sounds to me that we're talking not so much about agressiveness as we are about confidence.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute

That's what is sounds like to me too. You may be afraid you won't look good, or agressive, or both. Not uncommon.

May I suggest you should't concentrate on being aggressive so much as on being competent? If you can be competent at blocking and counter-striking, that is much better than simply being aggressive. After you accomplish that, for those few who have a technique that gets past you, become competent at countering their technique as well.

I also suggest you talk to your teacher about it. Your teacher knows you better than any of us, and hopefully is good enough to make good suggestions.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine the OP has either got their black belt by now or gave up a long time ago. Some good advice for others though.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some great advice in this thread.

To restate some of the above, practice your combos, your counters, until they are fluid and natural feeling — so you don't have to THINK about the individual movements.

Then mentally COMMIT to using them no matter what happens.

I mean to say, for example, if you have decided to try a "jab and cross" combo, bridge the gap (i.e., get close enough to land it) and execute the combo – whether you get hit or not. Don't worry about blocking (for the moment) just about completing your intended technique on target with full conviction and control.

You may find that even if you are getting hit, you are at least "trading" hits with your opponent rather than having your techniques rendered ineffective by their attack.

That is a good first step toward more aggressive fighting: Simply decide your attack and DO it, come hell or high water. Rinse, repeat.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Cougar

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Many good ideas and observations. We have several different things at work here. Confidence is an issue. Skill set may be an issue. Experience with fighting and various scenarios. In our clubs, basics are drilled continuously. Routine is broken up with empty hand, pad and bag work, light/controlled contact/full contact sparring. Matchups change from same skill level to more advanced, same weight class to bigger opponent and standup only, ground only or transitional. All students practice on a crawl, walk, run schedule. With each new drill or technique it is crawl, walk, run. As proficiency improves, get it to real deal speed and increase resistance. If you are not doing that, invest in a comfortable headgear and go about your training. As you get hit more and find that you survive, you can up the tempo and contact. Bottom line is you have to get in there.

One parting shot. Not everyone is a fighter. Some practice the arts for different reasons. You may develope a great deal of skill at technique, but find you do not enjoy the contact. Do not let that bother you. Be true to yourself. Good luck!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be most honest with you, I would think the most vile thoughts of my opponent, which in turn made me a bit aggressive, and the rest worked itself out.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I imagine the OP has either got their black belt by now or gave up a long time ago. Some good advice for others though.

Funny, I was at work and didn't pay any attention to the date of the OP. But yeah, maybe it will help someone else.

Chuck Johnson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Seems like you`ve already gotten some great advice! I totally agree that working your combos until they become autonomic and then committing to them are big steps. But also keep in mind that you don't have to be super aggressive to be a great fighter. You just have to be smart ;) A lot of the best KOs happen as a result of counter moves, and as long as you really master your game, you can be successful as a counter fighter too. As you progress and your confidence increases, your mind will relax too, and you will respond (both offensively and defensively) to opportunities when you see them with a better and better success rate. Just keep training! And as someone else already said in this thread, talk to you teacher. He or she certainly knows you better than all of us. ;)

Benevolentbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well keeping your guard up isn't a bad thing, it's a good habit to develop. Honestly, keep your hands up and your chin down and never back up. It's cool to circle around or step side to side but never back up. You'll learn to take shots which should help with your confidence and you'll be forced to learn how to be more aggressive. If you refuse to back up you have to either go on the offensive or just sit there and take it. That's really the best advice I can give.

EDIT: I decided to add some advice aimed specifically at aggressiveness. Develop your distance tools such as your jab, front snap kick with the lead leg, or a side kick with the lead leg. Practice with a partner on your entering. Set up the attack, move in and execute, strafe and then switch/repeat. Learn what kind of shots are worth defending and which aren't. A lot of the time you'll realize it's more effective to ignore certain shots because they don't harm you much if you have decent conditioning and it gives you a good opening to your opponent. Last piece of advice for now: spar, spar, and spar some more.

Latest Discussions