Need advice on breathing during kata and sparring

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I have Chronic sinus problems... So I can't really breath through my nose much, any advice on how to breath better during kata and sparring?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Try getting something for sinuses.
I think salt water might be good for sinus problem?

Just curious, is this allergies? Because if so prescribed medicine may help.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends in large part on the specific nature of your sinus problems, but in general, if you can't breath through your nose, I recommend breathing through your mouth.
Other than that... exhale as you execute techniques. Inhale as needed.

OP
K

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Try getting something for sinuses.
I think salt water might be good for sinus problem?

Just curious, is this allergies? Because if so prescribed medicine may help.
It is allergy and also hereditary, the only thing that helps is the beach, like the salt air and stuff, but I am allergic to grass and trees and I love the outdoors, I'm pretty much allergic to louisiana the state I live in lol

OP
K

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Depends in large part on the specific nature of your sinus problems, but in general, if you can't breath through your nose, I recommend breathing through your mouth.
Other than that... exhale as you execute techniques. Inhale as needed.
Breathing through your mouth makes it hard to breath but exhaling when executing techniques helps a little.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have allergies and use a Vick's nasal inhaler - helps a bit! That being said - when
I spar, I've made it a practice to breathe in through my nose when I'm circling and
exhaling when I attack - if I just breathe through my mouth, I get tired too quick..

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is allergy and also hereditary, the only thing that helps is the beach, like the salt air and stuff, but I am allergic to grass and trees and I love the outdoors, I'm pretty much allergic to louisiana the state I live in lol

My allergies wouldnt be so bad if I actually took the medicine like im supposed to... nose stopped up and having to practice forms like sanchin or seiuchin (breathing kata) can be rather difficult) get your self some perscribed allergy medicines!
best of luck

OP
K

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have allergies and use a Vick's nasal inhaler - helps a bit! That being said - when
I spar, I've made it a practice to breathe in through my nose when I'm circling and
exhaling when I attack - if I just breathe through my mouth, I get tired too quick..
I'll try the Vicks inhaler but the reason I get tired is because I can't inhale through my nose.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Most people run out of breath not because they're over exerting themselves through the sparring/forms but rather because of the tenseness they're using. Are you training for a sprint or a marathon run? If you're going balls out then you're going to breathe hard but otherwise you should really be relaxed which will have a profound effect on your breathing. I'll find myself tensing sometimes while grappling and you just take a deep breath and let it all out.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Power breath, as they call it in isometrics and power lifting.

You may need a nasal inhaler for your nose, but the good news is that a lot of coaches and trainers recommend that you inhale sharply through your nose, then exhale out through your mouth with your lips pursed and/or that hissing noise.

It's a bracing technique, really. When you exhale, don't empty your tank. Leave about a quarter to a third in there; just enough to "zip up" your body as if you were bracing for a punch to your midsection. I think you'll be very pleased to know that this also works when lifting heavy weights, or performing high-intensity exercises. Pressurize and engage your core!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't have sinus problems, but in the Hapkido I studied, breathing exercises were a part of our start-up exercises. I found that improved my breathing to the point I would just naturally move to a relaxed, unconsciously controlled breathing state under stress. It also improved my ki. I don't know how much you might get it to work for you.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Would a double mouthguard help? At least you wont get cracked in the jaw with your mouth open.

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have fairly bad allergies myself, though perhaps not to the degree you're describing.

If you want to keep your mucus thin so that you can actually breath, I recommend staying well hydrated and staying away from dairy and sugar. If you really want to address the problem at its root though, you might want to visit an allergist. If you go that route, I'd recommend an actual allergist, and not an ENT, though.

Latest Discussions