Need a little help

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I need a simple history of TKD i can put on the website for my school. If anyone knows of a decent one that can be re-produced legally, I would be very gratefull.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmmm ... that could be a tough one, TF, especially given the somewhat tumultuous state of play on what 'story' is the accurate one.

My guess is that maybe Exile would be your best bet for a lead on this as he's looked deeper than most people into the subject.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Exiles version is pretty close to my own.

And very similar to mine (as far as I recall).

I do, however, prefer to offer unsubstantiated claims — making clear those claims ARE unsubstantiated by documentation — about some of the elements that I believe DID go into the mix of what has become known as taekwondo.

That is to say, the basic recipe is without a doubt Shotokan, but the longer this stew was cooked in Korea, the more Korean spices were added. It surely isn't Shotokan anymore.

It is up to those who receive this information to decide what they believe or not. I would include in ANY version you go with encouragement to do some research on their own, to hear all the different versions, even though many or even most of them are clearly mostly fictional.

Dakin Burdick's version is definately worth reading, as it goes after facts and uses quotes for questionable claims:

http://ryanshroyer.tripod.com/dakin_burdick.html

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is a piece of Gen. Choi's recording of history and development of TKD. The information on the webpage is copyrighted from [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, Sans Serif]"Taekwon-Do" (The Korean Art of Self Defense), so be careful how you copy it. Also, be aware that it is Gen. Choi's personal interpretation of events in his life - so don't be surprised if other accounts are different.
[/FONT]

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stanford is probaly the best for a complete historical account of everything. Thye allow you the freedom of using it.

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
My best recommendation, would to have a contest that could help you and your students.
Have a short essay contest for people who are intrested.
Just make it clear not to copy information, keep it simple(since you wanted a simple one), and put a notice on the bottom of the essay when you post the winner on your site that if the info is copied please contact you etc etc to protect yourself in any event.
This will promote students to know the history better if they are intrested.
Prize has tons of options (In fact telling that you will post it on the website in advance with the name of the student at the bottom with "written by xxxx xxyear" will make them happy I am sure). Motivation and enrichment is limitless.

Latest Discussions