Name that Booze? How big of a drunk are you?

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll take all y'alls word on it...

The reason I thought that wine would come first is that wine (not particularly good wine, mind you) comes about by accident if you leave fruit juice alone too long.

Where does mead fit? Or is it just a form of beer?

Mead's an interesting one. It has yeast in it so in could be classified as a beer, but it is also known as honey wine (though Pliny the Elder made a point of differentiating between honey-sweetened wine, honey wine, and mead).

The earliest mention of mead (not by that name, but the same product) is in the Vedas from India (1700 - 1100 BC). It was referred to by Aristotle, but is most associated with the Celtic and Anglo-Saxon cultures where the name comes from (Old English - medu meaning "honey").

Its nice but a little sweet for my taste.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Score: 42%
Your level: LIGHTWEIGHT
considering I don't drink alcohol...not bad...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
92 percent. I rarely drink, but I did go to college. ;)

Clapping_tiger

White Belt
Reaction score
Mead is it's own entity. Beer is a fermented beverage where the primary sugar source comes from grains, mainly barley but that is not always true. Hops do not difine beer because prior to hops things like spruce, or other herbs were used to offset the sweetness. Hops was the best choice because it also acted as a mild antimicrobial agent and keeps some of the unwanted wild yeast and bacteria in check. Mead comes from Honey as you probably know, but there is Melomel and other vairents of mead that use some addes fruit, herbs, sugars, or grains and that changes what type of mead it is. Wine is made from primarily fruit, most of the time grapes, but that is not always the case either. Between all three Beer as being made from grains is the oldest, nothing like the beer we know today.

Oh yeah, I scored a 98% Alcoholic. No surprise seeing as how alcohol is one of my other passions. Not in a destructive way, but I am a homebrewer and BJCP judge, a home wine and cider maker, and very interested in different spirits.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
94%.

In my defense I was a bartender for a while.

Yeah, that's why I scored so high.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
100% Alcoholic and very proud to say that I NEVER went beyond the first clue to get the answer! Oh yeah.

Latest Discussions