Name all of the strikes thrown from the Hip to the toes, commonly done in MMA

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Same as before . I'll start it off.
Knee strike, Striking with ball of foot.(not sure what it's referred to in MMA environments). I don't remember seeing any hip bumps done. Outside the ground game. not sure if that would be considered a strike.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Side kick, Front heel kick

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Straight knee (upwards, forwards, downwards, or jumping)
Curved knee, either with the inner side of the knee (i.e. the shin is hanging straight down) or the top of the knee (shin is angled outwards)
Front kick (can be performed like a Muay Thai teep, a karate style snap kick, or a front stomp kick)
Side kick (snapping or thrusting)
Roundhouse (Muay Thai or Karate/TKD style)
Cartwheel kick (Martelo do Chão from Capoeira)
Half-shin/half-knee - this is sort of a hybrid between a Muay Thai round kick and a knee strike which can happen at an intermediate range
Oblique kick
Question-mark kick
Hook kick
Spinning hook kick
Meia Lua de Compasso (the capoeira style spinning hook kick with hands on the ground)
Spinning back kick
Spinning crescent kick
Pisão (from BJJ, this can be something like a front kick or a side kick depending on the practitioner. It's kind of like a big step forward onto your opponent's knee. If you miss, rather than retracting you just make it into a penetration step to close the distance. See Royce Gracie's early fights for examples.)
Crescent kick, inwards or outwards (unusual, but you see it occasionally)
Axe kick (also rare)
"Hatchet kick" (That's my name. I don't know if anybody has a more official name. Basically from a tie-up you extend your foot past your opponent's leg, then arc your foot back inwards for a little hammer strike with your heel into the side or back of their leg. It's the same sort of action that you used to see BJJ practitioners use from closed guard to their opponent's kidneys before that technique was banned in most MMA rulesets.)
Foot stomp
Soccer kick (generally to a downed opponent)
Various jumping kick combinations, such as the crane kick and the "showtime" kick

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pisão (from BJJ, this can be something like a front kick or a side kick depending on the practitioner. It's kind of like a big step forward onto your opponent's knee. If you miss, rather than retracting you just make it into a penetration step to close the distance. See Royce Gracie's early fights for examples.)
Huh, I didn't know this had a name. Or that it's from BJJ-I learned it in a Japanese kenpo school. I also recall seeing a supposedly brazilian style roundhouse kick that doesn't have the power of a traditional kick, comes in at head height at a semi-downward angle, so the target doesn't know if it's coming for the head, or the ribs. Never tried it myself, but it feels like something that might be from capoeria. Any idea if that's got a name?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I also recall seeing a supposedly brazilian style roundhouse kick that doesn't have the power of a traditional kick, comes in at head height at a semi-downward angle, so the target doesn't know if it's coming for the head, or the ribs. Never tried it myself, but it feels like something that might be from capoeria. Any idea if that's got a name?
I'm not sure, but Savate practitioners will sometimes use a round kick which indicates high then goes low. Muay Thai practitioners will sometimes throw a high round kick which arcs downwards to come over the guard and hit the neck. Capoeira might have a kick like you describe, but I haven't encountered it yet. Capoeira tends to be a head-hunting style so it would be less common to fake high and then hit low.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Huh, I didn't know this had a name. Or that it's from BJJ-I learned it in a Japanese kenpo school
I don't know how you learned it, but most of the time when I see Kenpo practitioners do that, it's starting from close range. The BJJ version is used from further out to get close.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know how you learned it, but most of the time when I see Kenpo practitioners do that, it's starting from close range. The BJJ version is used from further out to get close.
That's the same concept-start from out of distance, use it as a way to get in close. The main tactic I used it with is throw the kick, land and shufflestep in for the remaining distance, with a punch. The instructor who taught it to me was also my sambo instructor so he may have learned it from there.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
forward sweep, foot stomp (to feet)

Latest Discussions