My TSA approved improvised weapon choice.......

Darren

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I began traveling internationally, I struggled to find a weapon that I could carry anywhere. I came up with many nasty options.

Including a trick I learned about when I was an undercover, investigating motorcycle gangs. The weapon of choice with many motorcycle gangs being a handkerchief slid through a padlock. Carried in the back pocket with the tails of the handkerchief hanging out of the pocket. Obviously you could quickly grab the tails and pull out a pretty nasty weapon!

However ultimately that is not what I went with. Instead I carry a very simple device. What I carry everywhere is a common metal water bottle. Of course I found one that fits my hand perfectly. When filed with water it's like carrying a hammer.

Nobody ever gives it a second look. I have had so many other gadgets that went through one international airport fine, but was seized in another country. My tactical pin was seized in South Korea for instance. However the water bottle goes everywhere.

As an added bonus, I stay more hydrated. But also I can always boild water when traveling. Although I carry multiple options for clean water and the water bottle is more of a last resort.

I haven't hit anyone with it yet, and hopefully never will. But oh my would it do the trick!

What is your favorite TSA approved weapon?
Have this straw my sister got me(during Covid) it’s housed in a metal screw on top thing with built in can opener there’s 2 things it’s good for, thought up to more things it can be used for, 1.it is attached to my keys can use it as strikes to the eyes(which should not be done!! Unless!! 2.Can be held in the hand for strikes to the joints and soft targets, then again UNLESS!!!

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It’s always possible, though I’m not anti-gun, any more than I'm anti-alcohol because I think we need to have limits on who can drink it or buy it. Or anti-car because I think we need to have limits on who can operate them. But you seem to want to chat about this. So, let's chat.

I see guns as a tool, as a knife is a tool. And when guys start naming their swords, using language that references harm to other people (e.g., assassin), and pretending to be real life ninja with live blades, that’s concerning to me. You said it can be healthy. I don't see any way that is healthy.

In the same way, guys engage in fantasy like the above with guns, it's similarly concerning to me.

So, all that to say, you and some others around here have a clear pro-gun bias. The answer to any question about guns is yes. I think it's more likely that your pro-gun bias is leading you astray. It clouds discussions that intersect with guns because on a spectrum, you and others are so far to one side, anything short of complete agreement is characterized as anti-gun. That, my friend, is also not healthy. The default site position on guns is that we can only talk about them positively. Anything else is political. That's not too good.

And when someone, in response to a question about a case, posts pictures of the case, the gun, his suppressor, and in that same post refers to it as his assassin's kit, we're in some pretty dangerous territory. I think if you weren't so biased, you could see it.
Yep, I have a lot of guns, but I am not blindly progun either. people have to follow logic, not just follow. As much I am for handgun, I am not for "assault" riffles. To me, it's the safety. Those bullets can go through houses and kill someone totally unvolved. For self defense and home defense, I am for shotgun and handgun with JHP rounds only to minimize penetrations. It's for innocent people.

As many guns I own, I don't own any assault riffle. Very tempted to buy one just for show, but not yet.

I kept hearing people joke about "blowing people away". I don't think it's funny at all. I bet if they really blow a person away, their conscience might be haunted for the rest of their lives and there is no taking back even they might be cleared from all wrong doing by the law.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s always possible, though I’m not anti-gun, any more than I'm anti-alcohol because I think we need to have limits on who can drink it or buy it. Or anti-car because I think we need to have limits on who can operate them. But you seem to want to chat about this. So, let's chat.

I see guns as a tool, as a knife is a tool. And when guys start naming their swords, using language that references harm to other people (e.g., assassin), and pretending to be real life ninja with live blades, that’s concerning to me. You said it can be healthy. I don't see any way that is healthy.

In the same way, guys engage in fantasy like the above with guns, it's similarly concerning to me.

So, all that to say, you and some others around here have a clear pro-gun bias. The answer to any question about guns is yes. I think it's more likely that your pro-gun bias is leading you astray. It clouds discussions that intersect with guns because on a spectrum, you and others are so far to one side, anything short of complete agreement is characterized as anti-gun. That, my friend, is also not healthy. The default site position on guns is that we can only talk about them positively. Anything else is political. That's not too good.

And when someone, in response to a question about a case, posts pictures of the case, the gun, his suppressor, and in that same post refers to it as his assassin's kit, we're in some pretty dangerous territory. I think if you weren't so biased, you could see it.
Fair points. However, you misquoted me. I did not say it was healthy. I said it wasn’t necessarily unhealthy. I am not so far to one side, though I agree I do have a pro gun bias. I also recognize a need for some regulation. I do feel you have valid feelings that inform your opinion on the subject. I hope you can see that I’m willing to discuss in a logical way that can help bridge the gap in opinions here. We cannot have meaningful discussion that leads to improvement if we can’t find common ground to start the conversation. That is compromise, that is what’s missing in these types of discussion most often. I hear you, I believe you believe your reasons for your opinion. I can respect that.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yep, I have a lot of guns, but I am not blindly progun either. people have to follow logic, not just follow. As much I am for handgun, I am not for "assault" riffles. To me, it's the safety. Those bullets can go through houses and kill someone totally unvolved. For self defense and home defense, I am for shotgun and handgun with JHP rounds only to minimize penetrations. It's for innocent people.

As many guns I own, I don't own any assault riffle. Very tempted to buy one just for show, but not yet.

I kept hearing people joke about "blowing people away". I don't think it's funny at all. I bet if they really blow a person away, their conscience might be haunted for the rest of their lives and there is no taking back even they might be cleared from all wrong doing by the law.
12 gauge Buckshot goes through 2 interior house walls just fine.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Remember when JHP was forbidden in San Fran?

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah it was banned in SF for a while. Im sure. Look it up.
That's why I said what I said about not liking assault weapon, BUT when come to voting, I WILL vote against any gun ban. I just don't buy them. SF deserve all the chaos right now. I am so glad I moved out of SF since 86. I don't go to SF if I can help it.

Not to change the subject, if you ever drive in SF, it will get you mad. In Sunset area, they block out so many streets in the name of making it saver for people to walk and jock. You try to drive it that area, it's a nightmare. This really hurt the small business.

If you want to drive from Sunset Area to Richman Area across Golden Gate Park, good luck, they block off most of the roads during the day to make you go around and around to discourage you to drive.

On Great Highway close to the beach on 48th Ave, they block of Great Highway. Do you know how they make the parking spot to discourage people driving and part next to the beach? They make the parking at 45deg..................NOT the kind that you just drive in. It's 45 deg THE OTHER WAY. That you have to drive pass it, then BACK THE CAR into the space. How many people is comfortable backing up like this? Also you block the traffic when you try to park.

Of cause, the homeless and crime problem..........................

Don't get me started!!!! If not for family, I would move to Rock Rock close to Austin in Tx. Ha ha, I would be close to Kung Fu Wang.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lol! No gadgets? Ninja suits etc?
Nope. That would be silly.
Stop nitpicking words just to argue, you know what I mean.
No, I don't. I know what you write. If what you write isn't what you mean, I can hardly be expected to read your mind.

Dude. He said it.
I repeated it. That's not the same. Not that that matters to you.
Do his kids have an account here?
A couple do, yes. Between us, we have 10 kids and 17 grandkids. All of whom have been given at least basic training, and those interested more.
We can take this offline. But dude. He posted pictures of his gun with his suppressor in response to me asking him about the case being an effective improvised weapon. In a thread about TSA and airports. Seriously. Give me a break. What the hell are you doing?
The size and content of the case affect it's effectiveness as an improvised weapon. I don't think I've ever met anyone so likely to get upset about your question being answered.
Yep, I have a lot of guns, but I am not blindly progun either. people have to follow logic, not just follow. As much I am for handgun, I am not for "assault" riffles. To me, it's the safety. Those bullets can go through houses and kill someone totally unvolved.
So can a shotgun. So can handgun ammo, especially hardball. But ANY firearm/ammo combination that can be considered effective for personal or home defense is capable of penetrating drywall easily.
For self defense and home defense, I am for shotgun and handgun with JHP rounds only to minimize penetrations.
The ammo with the least worry about shoot-through is things like the MagSafe or Glazer Safety Slug. If that's a concern, you should look into those rounds. I have some concern about their effectiveness, especially during cold seasons, but they do have less shoot through potential.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

No argument from me on this post, but as for naming things, I've named just about every car I've ever owned, all in fun - at least fun for me.

What do you think of all the gun battle shooting games so many people play? I've watched guys I worked with go to those game places (years ago) and all engage in team gun battles against each other and against enemies provided by the game.

They were all having fun, but were absolutely manic in their enthusiasm. I found it very odd.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The ammo with the least worry about shoot-through is things like the MagSafe or Glazer Safety Slug. If that's a concern, you should look into those rounds. I have some concern about their effectiveness, especially during cold seasons, but they do have less shoot through potential.
I have a few Glazer in 38sp, are they still around? Problem is for revolver, it's ok, I don't have to test it. But for semi auto, It's really EXPENSIVE to proof it is reliable for the gun!!! Look 200 rounds!!!

I just look at MagSafe, the profile of the nose is not too bad, it should not have problem like the CCI Blazer JHP 45. That one is like an ashtray.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
No argument from me on this post, but as for naming things, I've named just about every car I've ever owned, all in fun - at least fun for me.

What do you think of all the gun battle shooting games so many people play? I've watched guys I worked with go to those game places (years ago) and all engage in team gun battles against each other and against enemies provided by the game.

They were all having fun, but were absolutely manic in their enthusiasm. I found it very odd.
If someone starts a thread on it, I’ll tell you. 😀

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I played Paintball in the early 90's in a an old manufacturing building in Downtown Detroit.

The first warning / announcement was "Do not point the guns outside the building / windows / break glass or anything like that, as those around the buildings are just as likely to fire back with real ammo. "

That being said, we were a few games into the day.
I was out of ammo and went back to get more.
I ran into a guy baby sitting the area and he caught me point blank.
One of the rules was point blank give them a chance to surrender.
I had hands up and said he got me. He literally whined "I haven't shot anyone all day. It is not fair."
He then shot me point blank. I moved and it hit me in the collar bone. No padding.
I did a parry and gun disarm and came back with his gun and shot him point blank in the face.

The Judge was on the ground laughing.
His first comment. Sweet Disarm and way to bring it back on line.
I'll allow the point blank as an education.
Go get your ammo.

The other guy started belly aching about being shot and how unfair it was.
The Judge said , either he was out for the rest of the day for shooting me point blank or to be out for five minutes to give me time to get ammo and move along.

In the afternoon we had a "professional" join us. He was almost always shot by friendly fire.
His gear was just so much "MORE" than the rented gear .
He was as you stated - over the top - and wanting to play war.

To me it was a game and a little fun, knowing it was a game and not real.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I played Paintball in the early 90's in a an old manufacturing building in Downtown Detroit.

The first warning / announcement was "Do not point the guns outside the building / windows / break glass or anything like that, as those around the buildings are just as likely to fire back with real ammo. "

That being said, we were a few games into the day.
I was out of ammo and went back to get more.
I ran into a guy baby sitting the area and he caught me point blank.
One of the rules was point blank give them a chance to surrender.
I had hands up and said he got me. He literally whined "I haven't shot anyone all day. It is not fair."
He then shot me point blank. I moved and it hit me in the collar bone. No padding.
I did a parry and gun disarm and came back with his gun and shot him point blank in the face.

The Judge was on the ground laughing.
His first comment. Sweet Disarm and way to bring it back on line.
I'll allow the point blank as an education.
Go get your ammo.

The other guy started belly aching about being shot and how unfair it was.
The Judge said , either he was out for the rest of the day for shooting me point blank or to be out for five minutes to give me time to get ammo and move along.

In the afternoon we had a "professional" join us. He was almost always shot by friendly fire.
His gear was just so much "MORE" than the rented gear .
He was as you stated - over the top - and wanting to play war.

To me it was a game and a little fun, knowing it was a game and not real.
I played back in the nineties, too, in an old shoe factory outside Boston. It was a lot of fun.

There were two groups and things got a very testy, it might have gotten ugly, really ugly. But the guys who were, I guess referees you could call them, stopped that right quick.

They were competitive paint ballers in national tournaments, and the paintball guns they had - made ours look like pea shooters. We got two warnings - and then those boys lit us up big time. Man, that hurt. Put a quick stop to what was happening, though. Right quick, too. Everyone was like little lambs after they got through with us.

Played outside once, too. I much preferred the indoor course, way more fun.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I played back in the nineties, too, in an old shoe factory outside Boston. It was a lot of fun.

There were two groups and things got a very testy, it might have gotten ugly, really ugly. But the guys who were, I guess referees you could call them, stopped that right quick.

They were competitive paint ballers in national tournaments, and the paintball guns they had - made ours look like pea shooters. We got two warnings - and then those boys lit us up big time. Man, that hurt. Put a quick stop to what was happening, though. Right quick, too. Everyone was like little lambs after they got through with us.

Played outside once, too. I much preferred the indoor course, way more fun.
We played when the kids were kids. Went out to a place nearby that people used for dirt bike riding. Lots of hills and ditches and whatnot. It was a lot of fun. Never really used the commercial places.

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So why do you discount most of his techniques? I did not know that was your guy, when I found the video that I did. However, you already deemed most of what he does as useless. You found one technique he does, that you like.... but you discount his one handed strikes, his hanbo style strikes, his cane style strikes.... everything he does, with the exception of the one you like. Since you already mastered that.... you would have no reason to train there... Especially when they worked on the one handed stuff or the hanbo style stuff or.... Don't tell me you would go train with him, while at the same time telling me how useless you deem most of his techniques.

A cane could be plenty useful in a plane... if you learn to use it as something other than a katana. But, you would have to learn the one hand stuff and the two thumbs in stuff.

Understand... some of the folks trying to give you advice, have more decades worth of actual training with these weapons than you have years in self training with your cane. Heck some have double or triple the decades of training to your year and a half. The videos you show of your mastery of the cane... is clear evidence that you do not understand. You have shown the video of the guy you are copying... but that only shows how much you don't understand. The advice given here has been in an effort to help you become more effective.... and it has come from people with multiple decades of training and teaching....

But hey, you found your technique, and you are happy with it. I hope it works for you, I hope your attacker announces his intentions in advance so you have time to assume your posture... I hope he stays 6 feet away from you, so that you can employ your technique... I hope he does not take advantage of the openings you have when you do your version of the technique... I hope you never have to use your technique to find out how effective it really is...
I have been practice more on striking with both thumbs facing inward like the video your posted(which I cannot find you post). Here is the SAME video you posted, I found it on youtube:

I know you really don't take me serious and might not even read what I wrote. But I just feel like reponding as you accused me that I refused to listen while I already showed you I did that already in the video. I can tell you, it is very hard to hit hard with both thumbs facing inwards. Yes, it is for close distance, but there's just no power. Even in the video, the guy even demo and said it cannot hit that hard at 8:45. He even agree with me.

Like I said I showed in my video I practice this similar move 9 months ago already. Actually the advantage of using a crook cane is I can hit harder with the crook end as shown in my video. I actually do it like punching using the crook end to stick it into the bag. That can hit quite hard. NOT WITH A STRAIGHT STICK like in the video. You ever try that before you posted the video?

Also, have you ever try swinging the stick reverse hand like in the video starting at 3:45? That was made famous by the movie series in the 60s by a blind samurai holding the sword that way. You try hitting like that. It might be good for sword as you cut and slice with it. If you ever try with a blunt stick, it's NOT very useful and the movement is limited. I tried that after I watched that just for the hell of it. It DIDN'T work for stick or cane. Might look good in demo, it just doesn't work.

Now, the thrusting straight in with the tip of the stick does have power, that you can see in my video that I used that already. One thing the video gave me a new idea. If it happens to fight in open area, sometimes, I can let go my left hand and swing with the right hand using the body to swing. One hand gets a longer reach and with wide swing, it can hit hard. Just have to watch out stick flying off hand if misses.

Notice, even the guy was NOT very good hitting the mattress with reverse hand at 8:30. He only used the arm, no body rotation to add to the force. I spent more time practice striking reverse hand motion with two hands. It is so so much harder to swing good reverse vs the normal forward motion swinging from right to left. That's some what similar to the idea of switch hitter in baseball. I know it's a lot harder, so I put 75% of my practice hitting from left to right to practice the body movement. I want to be able to hit hard from both sides. This is the kind of thing I concentrate in practice.

I might not go to any class, but I do think, watch and try to see whether it is useful before I discard anything. I only reject AFTER I try it. I find too many style just concentrate on movement that looks nice rather effective. Hanbo reminds me a little of Irish stick fight that more trying to be different than effective. Like Irish stick bounce off the elbow to pull back the stick after striking, they switch hands also. To me, they are just too fancy than practical. If I do single hand stick, Escrima is about the only one that is practical and more effective in my opinion. I did started with that for like 3 or 4 months as shown in the video. I dropped that after I saw the video competition that two guys wacked each other stupid, they were still standing after the fight. Be that they wore some protection, but for cry out loud, there's no stopping power with a light weight rattan stick!!!! One need a heavier stick to do damage. So I went to two handed since. Follow the logic and science, this is NOT rocket science. One doesn't have to be an expert to see from videos and poke holes on their technique.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions