My instructor beats up a guest

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
heres the story.

A tall black fellow, about 6'2/6'3 shows up for a sparring class. he is new to the school, but said to have trained in Ninjitsu or something or other. (he also said that he was self taught later that night)
anyways, our class is a cross of Muay thai and san shou. so kickboxing with takedowns.

gear- headgear, chestguard, boxing gloves.

since we are used to MMA-style training, we don't really react politely to unorthodox fighting.
he goes up a few times, grunting aloud and pounding his fists upon the ground to show aggression. (at this time some students were rather entertained)
since many student are new, we did not allow punches to the head, though kicks to the head were aloud. groin shots are a sure nono.
the guy hit to the face pretty much any opportunity he had. after several warnings, he was told to keep it to the body.
later on.
its my turn to go up. i go against the tall fellow. ( now im am 5'7 on good days) having a TKD backround i rely heavily on my kicks, and if they get too close, i go in for the takedown. He parries on of my attacks and crosses me in the face. I fall. another warning was given to the guy. I accidentally kicked him in the groin (indirect contact) he tells me "good groin shot" he then almost immediately smashes my groin with a full force kick, my entire private area feels as if it is on fire. so there i am, sitting on the ground, holding myself. I get up and finish the match after getting in a few good kicks to the head.
after a while my instructor calls the guy up to spar him. using no gloves. they go at it. my instructor throws his low kick and smashes into is leg like a baseball bat. he moves around a bit and does it again until the fellow switches to fighting southpaw (left handed)
-they clinch-
my instructor begins to throw punches to the back of the ear, then rains elbows on the back of his head.(about 2 or 3)
after this i use my "instructor voice" to say "break". my instructor shoves him out of the clinch, pointed to the door and said "get outta here" slaps the begeezes out of him, and repeats "get out!"
after the class was over, the fellow was waiting outside, sitting on top of his car, wanting to have a word with my instructor, my instructor walks out to meet him. from what i hear from my instructor, he apologized for his disrespect and will be joining monday!:)

I guess some people like to get ruffed up for initiation, im sure we'll look back on this and make fun of the guy! (ofcourse after we know him well enough to poke fun at him)

DArnold

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
heres the story.

A tall black fellow, about 6'2/6'3 shows up for a sparring class. he is new to the school, but said to have trained in Ninjitsu or something or other. (he also said that he was self taught later that night)
anyways, our class is a cross of Muay thai and san shou. so kickboxing with takedowns.

gear- headgear, chestguard, boxing gloves.

since we are used to MMA-style training, we don't really react politely to unorthodox fighting.
he goes up a few times, grunting aloud and pounding his fists upon the ground to show aggression. (at this time some students were rather entertained)
since many student are new, we did not allow punches to the head, though kicks to the head were aloud. groin shots are a sure nono.
the guy hit to the face pretty much any opportunity he had. after several warnings, he was told to keep it to the body.
later on.
its my turn to go up. i go against the tall fellow. ( now im am 5'7 on good days) having a TKD backround i rely heavily on my kicks, and if they get too close, i go in for the takedown. He parries on of my attacks and crosses me in the face. I fall. another warning was given to the guy. I accidentally kicked him in the groin (indirect contact) he tells me "good groin shot" he then almost immediately smashes my groin with a full force kick, my entire private area feels as if it is on fire. so there i am, sitting on the ground, holding myself. I get up and finish the match after getting in a few good kicks to the head.
after a while my instructor calls the guy up to spar him. using no gloves. they go at it. my instructor throws his low kick and smashes into is leg like a baseball bat. he moves around a bit and does it again until the fellow switches to fighting southpaw (left handed)
-they clinch-
my instructor begins to throw punches to the back of the ear, then rains elbows on the back of his head.(about 2 or 3)
after this i use my "instructor voice" to say "break". my instructor shoves him out of the clinch, pointed to the door and said "get outta here" slaps the begeezes out of him, and repeats "get out!"
after the class was over, the fellow was waiting outside, sitting on top of his car, wanting to have a word with my instructor, my instructor walks out to meet him. from what i hear from my instructor, he apologized for his disrespect and will be joining monday!:)

I guess some people like to get ruffed up for initiation, im sure we'll look back on this and make fun of the guy! (ofcourse after we know him well enough to poke fun at him)

Curious
Why did you not take him out.
Once he did not wish to abide by your class rules why would you have to?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
DArnold said:
Curious
Why did you not take him out.
Once he did not wish to abide by your class rules why would you have to?

I think the answer would be to break off the sparring session with that particular student rather than "take him out" - just because one person fails to act with integrity doesn't mean it should be answered in the same manner.

This is a limited electronic medium, so perhaps you meant that he should have defended himself rather than go for "payback" as it sounded like in your post. If so, I apologize.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MAKID sometimes a person feel the need to go all out to prove his skills raher than train like men. I hope the next incounter will be more of a training atch insead of somone trying to prove there man hood.
Terry

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
MMA Kid

I seriously suggest wearing a groin protector. Taking hard shots to the stones can have some serious ramifications on your health. If you have any lingering pain from that strike, don't hesitate to see a doctor.

I played baseball in junior high school and accidentally lined one into the opposing pitchers groin. He was taken to the hospital and we were told that he lost a testicle from the injury.

upnorthkyosa

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, get yourself a cup, there are special ones you can get from Tiger Claw.com specially made for MAists...

The guy was probably testing the school out for joining, and I am sure your instructor will be keeping a close eye on this individual...Just rememmber that most times your greatest rival becomes your best friend, if not your friend, you will come to have a high level of respect for him.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well..I have to say that the "guest" would have been shown the door after the third headshot.

It is my responsibility to care for the well being and safety of my students first. Not to let some idiot in off the street get his ego off with cheap shots.

You can either play by the rules in the Dojang or take it outside where there are none.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Paul B on this. Obviously this guy had a point to prove, so that is why he did what he did. However, why let things at the school turn into a brawl?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with Paul B too. It is the instructor's responsibility to ensure the student's safety. After the shot to your groin, he should have been removed. Perhaps, just to ensure he will not do this again, your instructor should be the first to spar him next class. Make sure his apology was sincere and protect the students in his school.

A cup will definitely protect you, somewhat. I have heard that a strong kick to the groin will still hurt if struck hard enough.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The guy was probably testing the school out for joining, and I am sure your instructor will be keeping a close eye on this individual

I have seen this happen many times and tink he should have kept to the rules if they where told to him. The fact that he waited outside and politely apologised is good but Im sure your instructor knows enough to kep a close eye on this mans behavior in the future

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
MMA Kid

I seriously suggest wearing a groin protector. Taking hard shots to the stones can have some serious ramifications on your health. If you have any lingering pain from that strike, don't hesitate to see a doctor.

Agreed. Good story.

OP
T

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
I did wear a cup, the blow was so direct and forcefull, i was still feeling the pain. though it greatly reduced the pain that i would have felt.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
I have to agree with Paul B on this. Obviously this guy had a point to prove, so that is why he did what he did. However, why let things at the school turn into a brawl?
Good question...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:
I did wear a cup, the blow was so direct and forcefull, i was still feeling the pain. though it greatly reduced the pain that i would have felt.

Oh, okay. I've taken a few hard shots to the groin with my cup on and it was no picnic. One of the shots BROKE my cup. Very bad...

OP
T

The MMA kid!

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
Good question...

My instructor felt greatly disrespected after deliberately kicking me in the groin (i am like a son to him, he has been my instructor since i was 12)

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, three strikes and yer out is a good policy, I think. Goody two-shoes that he waited outside and apologize, but to me that ain't enough. If he winds up joining, he'll have won. He knows now he can go anywhere and behave like this and say sorry and then be welcomed in.

Sorry - I wouldn't let him in.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Yeah, three strikes and yer out is a good policy, I think. Goody two-shoes that he waited outside and apologize, but to me that ain't enough. If he winds up joining, he'll have won. He knows now he can go anywhere and behave like this and say sorry and then be welcomed in.

Sorry - I wouldn't let him in.

I agree with that point. However, if I were the instructor and I thought about letting him in, an apology to the entire class for being a complete **** is in order. He really needs to make restitution to those he injured. You have to have trust in those you spar with. I wouldn't have any in this guy after that episode.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The MMA kid! said:

Still, if the pain persists, go see a doctor. You may as well not take any chances when it comes to the family jewels! Also, you may want to invest in a better quality cup and supporter.

As for the challenger, I'd still be wary of that guy. If he has shown a tendency to not listen to instruction, and a disregard for authority, there's a good chance he'd do it again. I'm not saying that he's not redeemable, but to watch him very carefully.

Latest Discussions