How can one tell if it's a good school?

A

AlwaysTraining

As we all know, there are many McDojos out there. What are some of the key signs to watch for and key questions to ask when deciding on a school? I already have a few good ones in mind, but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
AlwaysTraining said:
As we all know, there are many McDojos out there. What are some of the key signs to watch for and key questions to ask when deciding on a school? I already have a few good ones in mind, but I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say.
I will look at how the class trains and listen to what the teacher says and I can usually tell from that.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How does the instructor or instructors conduct themselves? How do they teach material? What's the student to teacher ratio?

Do the students appear to be enjoying themselves, even if there is a high level of discipline?

How is the movement of the instructor or the students? If you've been around martial arts for long enough, you should be able to tell if the movement is equal to the belt rank, unless it's a system you're totally unfamiliar with and even then, there should be clues you can pick up on.

Are there 10 year olds walking around with BBs? Unless it's a school that has a junior black belt program.

Were you told that if you paid x amount of dollars that you could have your black belt in 2-3 years?

The list goes on.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
AlwaysTraining said:

Looks like you've received some good advice. I might also suggest doing some research on the art. Having an idea of the art, will help you when you're asking questions to the instructor.

Mike

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
I will look at how the class trains and listen to what the teacher says and I can usually tell from that.

Its always good to go to a few classes and see how they conduct themselves...PPKO good advice.

Tarot

Purple Belt
Reaction score
One of the things that I ask is if I will be able to ask questions during class. I learn visually and by asking questions. If the school is really strict and does not allow questions then my learning would be greatly hindered.

I also ask how often one can show up for class. My current school where I'm in my trial period, allows you to come as often as you want without charging you more. You can also come and stay for a few hours at a time as well, it's all up to you the student how far you want to take your training. Which I think is a good thing. My previous school, I could only go twice a week and that's it. That is one of the major reasons I started looking for a new school.

I also ask what the uniforms are like and if shoes are allowed. If they have adult only classes and if the school teaches weapons (if you aren't interested in weapons, then you would obviously omit that. ;) ).

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Do the instructors continue to train, keep up their own skills and learn new skills? This is very important to me.

2. Are you guaranteed a black belt in a particular period of time? If the answer is "Yes," run.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Everyone has already given you good advice, all I would add is to use common sense & your own instincts. If something about the instructor or the class doesn't feel right, keep looking... :asian:

Latest Discussions