My Grandmaster

bostonbomber

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Thats why I like kung fu. I can open a school and not have to worry about politics. I don't have anyone telling me how or what to teach, no annual fees, and no B.S.. I can teach however I want and whatever I want.....well you know what I mean.

I agree for the most part, but even in Kung Fu you're going to have people claim this lineage is better than that lineage, or that lineage does it wrong, blah, blah, blah. Politics is ubiquitous my friend!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did I miss where he said she wasn't affiliated with KKW or gave her full name and date of birth? How did you find out she wasn't a true KKW GM?

Because I was able to get her name and date of birth and had it verified though the KKW. Something are just better left alone, he is happy his son his happy and that is all that matters.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure people who send their kids to school want to be assured that their teachers are certified through legitimate institutions and oversight boards, that the teacher isn't lying about his/her history and teaching whatever they want.
In Taekwondo as well, I want the parents who entrust me with their kids to know that I am who I say I am and that it can be verified.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
He had to pay 11 grand to get a 2nd Dan in TKD so he could teach Kung Fu? :confused::confused::confused:
Am I the only one who is confused here?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He had to pay 11 grand to get a 2nd Dan in TKD so he could teach Kung Fu? :confused::confused::confused:

I'm confused on this as well. It appears that he may be teaching TKD under false pretenses.

Maybe the OP can clear that up for us as well.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Because I was able to get her name and date of birth and had it verified though the KKW. Something are just better left alone, he is happy his son his happy and that is all that matters.
That's fine. I was just wondering. I asked for that info earlier to do the same type of verification but looks like you got it. Cool.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thats why I like kung fu. I can open a school and not have to worry about politics. I don't have anyone telling me how or what to teach, no annual fees, and no B.S.. I can teach however I want and whatever I want.....well you know what I mean.

There is just as much politics in Kungfu as there is in TKD. A good example would be the Wing Chun vs. Ving Tsun camps. We can even make it more personal. Are you certified to teach? Who certified you? What are their credentials? Which school or organization did your Sifu belong to? My point is politics is everywhere no matter how much you want to avoid it.

OP
R

rchurch

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Please go back and read post # 19, I thought I made it clear my son does not teach TKD although he is a 2nd Dan and earned that rank through very hard training one on one for a year with the GM. I'm talking 4 - 6 days per week, 4 - 8 hours per day. He was homeschooled, which allowed his training to fit in his schedule. His first love is kung fu and that is what he teaches. We have a very capable 4th dan and 3rd dan teaching TKD. I am not scamming our students, I'm trying to give them the quality training that they deserve.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.

As I follow it, the TKD GM who's sponsoring the kung fu school felt that he needed to offer TKD to get kids into the school so that he can teach kung fu. The kid who's family paid $11K for a TKD 2nd dan (anyone else wonder about blending Japanese and Korean while teaching Chinese arts?) is teaching the kung fu classes (no info on that background), while he's paying a 4th dan to teach the TKD. (Why not just spend the $11K on salary for the guy who's teaching it anyway?)

Yeah... dizzying stuff!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Please go back and read post # 19, I thought I made it clear my son does not teach TKD although he is a 2nd Dan and earned that rank through very hard training one on one for a year with the GM. I'm talking 4 - 6 days per week, 4 - 8 hours per day. He was homeschooled, which allowed his training to fit in his schedule. His first love is kung fu and that is what he teaches. We have a very capable 4th dan and 3rd dan teaching TKD. I am not scamming our students, I'm trying to give them the quality training that they deserve.

My issue is pretty much the same as JKS's reply: Why does your son need to have the dan in TKD to have other instructors teach in the same school? It would make more sense to have your son simply worry about teaching Kung Fu, and allow the other instructors that were hired to instruct the TKD side of it.

I realize that the most important issue is that you are happy with the decision that you made...but the problem is that by posting what has happened, you've opened up a "can of worms" so to speak. If you're happy with your decision, then there is no need to justify anything that you've done or the GM has done.

However, by sharing this information with the other posters on this forum, it opens the situation up for scrutiny.

There are several issues with the story, as far as I'm concerned:

1). Your son wants to teach Kung Fu. That's honorable, and I applaud his efforts in doing so. But you were advised to offer TKD to get kids in the door of the school...again, this isn't such a bad idea. There is also nothing wrong with training in multiple martial arts...people do it all the time, and I personally think it's a must for someone who's serious about martial arts. But why does your son need to have rank in TKD in order to open a school that offers TKD taught by someone else?

2). Like I've said in previous posts, I don't know but about the KKW organization. But, according to other posters on here who are familier with the organization, the testing fees only cost $70. So, what you're saying is that the remaining $6,930 was used to pay for the year's worth of personal training for 1st dan? Still seems pretty steep to me. Just so that you're aware, according to others on this board, that the only amount going to the KKW organization is $70, and the rest is going directly to your GM.

Ultimately, your satisifaction is up to you. I'm not trying to sound like a turd, and I appologize if that's the way this comes across. I just hope that you're fully aware of the situation before you decide that it's the best thing.

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope.

(anyone else wonder about blending Japanese and Korean while teaching Chinese arts?) is teaching the kung fu classes (no info on that background), while he's paying a 4th dan to teach the TKD. (Why not just spend the $11K on salary for the guy who's teaching it anyway?)

Yeah... dizzying stuff!

Sounds like Shaolin Do.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
RCHURCH,

I am a little confused here. Was the Black Belt money for all training and testing from white up or was it for one test only?

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
RCHURCH,

I am a little confused here. Was the Black Belt money for all training and testing from white up or was it for one test only?

The money was an all-inclusive thing, from what I understand...from white to black, training for one year and testing.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
30 to 36 hrs of one on one training with a GM.. O.K Charge to defray the cost of having a Special Grand Master at your test O.K. (thinking maybe he was from over seas?) O.K.

I understand what the money was spent on.. But at the same time I feel that you can obtain the same quality of training and have lots of cash in the bank for Jr's college education!

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
30 to 36 hrs of one on one training with a GM.. O.K Charge to defray the cost of having a Special Grand Master at your test O.K. (thinking maybe he was from over seas?) O.K.

I understand what the money was spent on.. But at the same time I feel that you can obtain the same quality of training and have lots of cash in the bank for Jr's college education!

This is basically what I (and I believe others here) are getting at.