My First Commercial

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
My school started using a new school management software and the company chose our school to shoot a vid promo. I am last person speaking in the clip. Was pretty cool to see how they shoot this stuff. They shot 4 hours of footage and the clip is only 5 minutes. I can only imagine how much footage they use for a movie. Again, I am the last person interviewed in the clip.
icon6.png

[yt]X11sz0gSii4[/yt]

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My school started using a new school management software and the company chose our school to shoot a vid promo. I am last person speaking in the clip. Was pretty cool to see how they shoot this stuff. They shot 4 hours of footage and the clip is only 5 minutes. I can only imagine how much footage they use for a movie. Again, I am the last person interviewed in the clip.
icon6.png

[yt]X11sz0gSii4[/yt]
Looks good. You're the guy in the turtle neck? Cool.

As for the amount of footage for a movie, it's not exactly the same. Most movies have a script. There may be multiple takes, on set re-writes and then revisions done in post production that require a call-back, but for the most part, it's pretty clean. The director and editor have a good idea of what they're looking for when the record it.

Documentary films can have 100 or more hours of footage pared down to 120 minutes, not including the b-roll. I think that's more along the lines of how this was shot.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting set up. Keep us posted on how the instructor/school owner likes it down the road?

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks good. You're the guy in the turtle neck? Cool.

As for the amount of footage for a movie, it's not exactly the same. Most movies have a script. There may be multiple takes, on set re-writes and then revisions done in post production that require a call-back, but for the most part, it's pretty clean. The director and editor have a good idea of what they're looking for when the record it.

Documentary films can have 100 or more hours of footage pared down to 120 minutes, not including the b-roll. I think that's more along the lines of how this was shot.
No not the sweater guy, I am the last instructor to talk. I am actually on the splash or still image. The guy in the sweater is a parent/student. Thanks for the info.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So you are "Art"? Or do you mean the Philipino lady?
Congrats on your first "fifteen minutes" of fame - I say that in a good way, not disparagingly!! I was lucky enough to work as an extra in TV and movie work for a couple of years alongside my studies and then full time job. It is mind blowing how much time is put into a single shot or scene at times. For a TV series, a scene can be done in a few takes or sometimes one clean take. For a movie we often spent a whole day just on a couple/few scenes, very long, tiring, hot (but fun!) days - it was a great job for a student, good money and meals/food part of the package and plenty of it laid out (key!). Going around in make-up took a bit of getting used to.

Latest Discussions