Muslim woman teacher sues U.S. school after being denied three weeks unpaid leave to make

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
She was a new employee; it's not uncommon in my experience for new employees to be on restricted leave status until they complete their probation. Any leave takes significant justification. We don't know what was scheduled during that 3 week period; would it change things if it were a period of major tests or key evaluations of the new teacher? A police recruit trying to take 3 weeks of during the academy is almost certainly out of luck; we were discouraged from even taking sick days because it is so easy to fall behind and miss essential training. One of my classmates's wife had a baby during the session; he missed a total of two days -- and that was with having to travel interstate.

I support practicing your religion. And I respect that she was taking unpaid leave. My personal feeling is that the school probably should have been able to work with her -- but I'm also unwilling to say that the school should have been forced to accomodate her for a 3 week period, for something that is a lifetime obligation, not a "must be now" obligation unless she could justify the reason it had to be that year. Making the hajj with her 90 year old father, pregnancy, even restrictions on her husband could sway me -- especially since she was asking for unpaid leave. I'd also like to know how much time she gave the school. If she sprung it on them "I'm leaving next week...", it's one thing. If she started asking in September, it's another. In other words, to me, accommodation really suggests both sides make an adjustment or compromise. She needed to give the school enough notice to work out alternate plans to cover her classes just like they may have been obligated to let her take the time.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know, man. It sounds good and all, but given your political tendencies I have a feeling that the tithing requirements are rather steep. ;)

Salvation doesn't come cheap, brother. Neither does a nice, smooth Jamaican rum and a sunny white beach all to yourself. Look into your heart, I think you will come to the right answer. :)

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
there's loads of reasons why she could be suing and not just for the money as I imagine it will be costing to go to court.

This is an EEOC suit. She's not footing the bill for it; we all are, with our tax dollars. It's the Federal Government that's suing, not her, and it's mostly to get her job back-though there'll be back pay and benefits included, as there usually are with these things...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We obviously don't know all the facts about the case so it makes it hard to judge here not that it stops the 'Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells' types having a go anyway. For all we know she was told she could go then wasn't allowed to, there's loads of reasons why she could be suing and not just for the money as I imagine it will be costing to go to court.

True.

But sadly some elements have taken on the unreasonable causes to make a buck off.
In the US there is mucho $$ to be made to be offended.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
She was a new employee; it's not uncommon in my experience for new employees to be on restricted leave status until they complete their probation.

She was not a new employee. She started in 2007, I assume Sept. The Haj for 2008 was in Dec. So she would have completed one full academic year prior to going.

The article also mentions that she filed the complaint in Nov 2008, so she gave at least one month's warning.

There is not much that a teacher does that a substitute cannot do for a short period of time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
She was not a new employee. She started in 2007, I assume Sept. The Haj for 2008 was in Dec. So she would have completed one full academic year prior to going.

The article also mentions that she filed the complaint in Nov 2008, so she gave at least one month's warning.

There is not much that a teacher does that a substitute cannot do for a short period of time.

Then again, subs don't do it for free, and schools are at this time chronically understaffed, so being gone 3 weeks at the end of the semester, when finals are due and all that jazz can be a bit too much to ask for from your boss.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
subs don't work for free, but then again the teacher was not going to be drawing pay. Early December is not typically when a high school semester ends when they ghave a semester system. It's usually late January.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
subs don't work for free, but then again the teacher was not going to be drawing pay. Early December is not typically when a high school semester ends when they ghave a semester system. It's usually late January.
Uh, in the US, it's usually a week before Christmas to just after New Years.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Salvation doesn't come cheap, brother. Neither does a nice, smooth Jamaican rum and a sunny white beach all to yourself. Look into your heart, I think you will come to the right answer. :)

ROLF! You remind me of a buddy who wanted to start his own cult for "tax puposes, babes, and aquiring minions". :angel:

I hate to sound like I`m sucking up, but Elder999 always seems to have something pretty inciteful to say. I wonder if it`s the Peyote talkin`.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ROLF! You remind me of a buddy who wanted to start his own cult for "tax puposes, babes, and aquiring minions". :angel:

I hate to sound like I`m sucking up, but Elder999 always seems to have something pretty inciteful to say. I wonder if it`s the Peyote talkin`.
insight or incite?
:lfao:

Mark Jordan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
As a teacher she has responsibility for the students she's teaching. She should not expect to be able to take holiday during term time and 3 weeks is too much.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As a teacher she has responsibility for the students she's teaching. She should not expect to be able to take holiday during term time and 3 weeks is too much.

What if she fell ill?

What if she was in the National Guard and got called for duty?

What about jury duty?

The law is about the employer making reasonable accomodation if they can't prove undue hardship. A first year law student can shoot the school's reasons down.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What if she fell ill?
That is why they have substitutes, not so teachers can take trips to the other side of the planet.
What if she was in the National Guard and got called for duty?
There are laws directly on point for that, which do not apply in this case because "Sometime in her lifetime." Does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded.
What about jury duty?
There are laws directly on point for that, which do not apply in this case because "Sometime in her lifetime." Does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded.
The law is about the employer making reasonable accomodation if they can't prove undue hardship. A first year law student can shoot the school's reasons down.
Someone without 1 minute of law school can point out that "Sometime in her lifetime." does not and did not mean the three weeks she demanded.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine that in the States as well as here substitute teachers are cheaper than full time ones.
Perhaps she was promised the time off and then they reneged on that, it would be a good reason to sue. Whoever is paying the court costs they must think she has a reasonable case otherwise why pay?

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I imagine that in the States as well as here substitute teachers are cheaper than full time ones.
Perhaps she was promised the time off and then they reneged on that, it would be a good reason to sue.
That has not been alleged.
Whoever is paying the court costs they must think she has a reasonable case otherwise why pay?
Gee, isn't it interesting that the Obama Justice Department gets involved in this, yet wanted nothing to do with the Black Panthers outside the polling place in 2008?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That has not been alleged.
Gee, isn't it interesting that the Obama Justice Department gets involved in this, yet wanted nothing to do with the Black Panthers outside the polling place in 2008?

Perhaps you should separate your Justice system from the government and not have elected court officers including sherriffs etc?

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score

The Bush Justice Department decided not to file a criminal case before Obama was even inaugurated, troll.

Latest Discussions