Music

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
That is when the handy dandy mp3 player the size of a cigeratte lighter comes in.............listen to what you want when you want. I am going to get me one this spring. Sony makes one that is kick butt......

Michael

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by AvPKenpo

That is when the handy dandy mp3 player the size of a cigeratte lighter comes in.............listen to what you want when you want. I am going to get me one this spring. Sony makes one that is kick butt......

Michael

The Sony mp3 player I saw was nice, but hideously expensive. It was on clearance for $200...cost to the retailer was nearly $300.

All for those four little letters: s - o - n - y.

Cthulhu

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu

The Sony mp3 player I saw was nice, but hideously expensive. It was on clearance for $200...cost to the retailer was nearly $300.

All for those four little letters: s - o - n - y.

Cthulhu

Yeah you pay for the name.......but..it is good equipment. A friend of mine went to Best Buy and found one of last years models for $100. I wanted to kick him in the groin when he told me........but I held back. :D

Michael

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Form forms I like some classical music Nut Cracker suite or Flight of the bumble bee or Flight of the Valkyries. For my custom bo kata it has to be Wipe Out by the Surfaris. For line drills I like something with and edge. For sparring I like some thing with speed and power. I also like ot whistle tunes awhen I spar people that are very cocky, really throws off their momentum.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Rob_Broad

Form forms I like some classical music Nut Cracker suite or Flight of the bumble bee or Flight of the Valkyries. For my custom bo kata it has to be Wipe Out by the Surfaris. For line drills I like something with and edge. For sparring I like some thing with speed and power. I also like ot whistle tunes awhen I spar people that are very cocky, really throws off their momentum.

That reminds me of a song...........Monty Python's..........Whistle a Happy tune

somethings in life are bad
they can really make you mad
other things just make you swear and curse
when your chewin on life's grislte
don't grumle....give a whistle
and this el help things turn out for the best

Always look on the bright side of life....*whistle*
Always look on the light side of life....*whistle*

:rofl:
Michael

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Rainman

:cool:

How many people use music to train with and what kind if you do? Besides energizing what else does it do for you?

:asian:
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
On the way to the dojo I listen to Reggae. It helps me get centered.

Ok, I confess I listen to Reggae all the time

Gene Gabel

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by islandtime

On the way to the dojo I listen to Reggae. It helps me get centered.

Ok, I confess I listen to Reggae all the time

Gene Gabel

Gee with a handle like "islandtime", I couldn't have guessed. That and Jimmy Buffet. :)

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Zoran

Gee with a handle like "islandtime", I couldn't have guessed. That and Jimmy Buffet. :)

You guys have my number now.... BTW Jimmy is from my hometown .. MOBILE.. I have eaten at his sis's bar many times "Lulu's Sunset Grill"...coconut shrimp...yum...cold Corona

On the new cd..".What if the Hokey Pokey is really what it is all about"..the best cut..imo

GEne Gabel

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Cool!!! The only time I could listen to Jimmy is when I train alone, my workout buddy's don't have that kind of sense of humor.

OP
T

tunetigress

Ooooooohhhhhhh...... sigh! LOL Jimmy Buffet , coconut shrimp and a nice, cold Corona. You are my kinda guys! :cool:

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by tunetigress

Ooooooohhhhhhh...... sigh! LOL Jimmy Buffet , coconut shrimp and a nice, cold Corona. You are my kinda guys! :cool:

Thanks to all.
I didnt realize there were other Parrotheads in the MA community. Guess it takes all kinds. Glad to see we run the broad spectrum of areas of the US also.
"Bubba" gets around.
The neatest thing is lots of his stuff is very topical as well as tropical. All the time I pass by places mentioned in his songs so there is always a special meaning for me

Gene Gabel

OP
D

daniel_r

I like Rock music.... the harder and louder the better when training

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hey we parrotheads are pretty wide spread you know. Even downunder. Man do I gotta get me to the States. :D

--Dave

OP
R

Rainman

How do you get motivated to "cheese burgers in paradise" ? Makes me hungry! Wasting away in margaritaville makes me thirsty! :D

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Cheeseburger in Paradise is a great song. It can motivate you to hurry up and beat the person you are sparring against so you can go eat.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A PARROTHEAD!!!:ultracool

OP
T

tunetigress

Well this will come as a surprise to those who are aware of my educational background and former profession, but I highly dislike using music to train to. I personally believe that a superimposed rhythm will affect the body's own natural rhythm that, IMHO flows in a much more 'rubato' manner than electronically generated 'technobeat', or even the 'pecking of parrots' for that matter (no disrespect intended to Jimmy Buffett whose music I've loved for decades.) Maybe for weight lifting, cardio, or Tae Bo, but not, I am afraid, for Kenpo!

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by tunetigress

Well this will come as a surprise to those who are aware of my educational background and former profession, but I highly dislike using music to train to. I personally believe that a superimposed rhythm will affect the body's own natural rhythm that, IMHO flows in a much more 'rubato' manner than electronically generated 'technobeat', or even the 'pecking of parrots' for that matter (no disrespect intended to Jimmy Buffett whose music I've loved for decades.) Maybe for weight lifting, cardio, or Tae Bo, but not, I am afraid, for Kenpo!

I have to agree with tunetigress on this one. Music is a great way to motivate you before class and to relax after. During class, I prefer to concentrate on my training and visualization.

Follow the beat of a different drummer.:boxing:

OP
T

tonbo

......it depends. I would agree *sometimes* with tunetigress. Like I posted before, I have worked out with different music types to "test" different results. Most often, I work out without music, either because I just don't turn it on or I am enjoying the rhythm of my own movement (sounds of my feet as I move, the "whooshing" of any weapons, snapping of my gi, etc.).

In class, that is usually not an option, as we often have music turned on. The rationale behind that is that we should be relaxing more....."dancing" more....and thinking less. We go over techniques and forms in detail, true....sometimes excruciatingly so. However, when it comes time to apply, do drills, and play (spar), then we are supposed to put it into practice. Focus and relax....the quote most often heard is, "relax, breathe....and listen to the music..."

One of our instructors (4th Black) likens the techniques to both dating and dancing: "The more you relax, the better it feels"....

Funny thing is, he also says, "The closer you are, the better it is...". True....very true....

Peace.....

OP
G

GouRonin

Speaking of dancing, when people get in that close I call it my "F" range. Which means if they are that close we either are gonna be fighting or %$#@ing and you better choose 'cause either way I will be leading.
:shrug:

Latest Discussions