Music

R

Rainman

:cool:

How many people use music to train with and what kind if you do? Besides energizing what else does it do for you?

:asian:

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does using your partner's body as a percussion instrument count as music? :boxing:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Anyone Know if STOMP or STOMP OUTLOUD has a soundtrac out. great beats
Shadow

OP
R

Rainman

:D

Or a timing signature for five swords. Stomp does have beats out try morpheous before it goes the road of napster. Ancient drum music of chinese and japanese is interesting as well.

OP
N

Nevlyn

The Hokey Pokey :rofl:

We were doing some partner practice with jo's, and we had to share a hall with kindergarden gym... we actually found that we were keeping time to the Hokey Pokey and timed our movements with it...

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Er...one of my instructors advocates practicing sinawalli to AC/DC's "Big Balls".

Cthulhu

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Er...one of my instructors advocates practicing sinawalli to AC/DC's "Big Balls".
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cool!!!!! I don't get to practice to AC/DC much, it's old timers stuff I'm told. We work out to Techno stuff most of the time, most of it's fast with good beats.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cthulhu,
Hegets my vote.
Us oldtimes have to stick togeather.
Great song
:rofl:
Shadow

OP
T

tonbo

I think it all depends.....(gee, has anyone ever said *that* before, about martial arts topics??)

For classes (sparring, drills, etc.), we often use eclectic music--mostly the "Jock Jams" type CDs, and whatever compilations we can get ahold of. We have also used techno and general "dance" type music--anything with a driving beat that will not offend the general populace.

For personal training, it depends on what kind of mood I am in, and what I am working on. I have trained to traditional shakuhachi flute music, heavy metal, trance, techno, you name it. The feeling is different with each, and I sometimes try to work "opposite" the music, i.e., do a tough, driving, heavy-metal type workout to something traditional Japanese. The results can be interesting....

Final note: For my black belt test, I was asked to put together and perform a sword kata to music. I chose the techno track from the "Blade" soundtrack (the dance club sequence...). It was beautiful...;)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:cool:

How many people use music to train with and what kind if you do? Besides energizing what else does it do for you?

[/QUOTE]

Our sensei decided that it might improve our stamina if we trained to a bit of crappy dance music, problem was due to rather ridiculous English law we had to apply for a bloody entertainments license before we were allowed to use a CD player in the hall! Seriously!

Anyway, it turned out to be a bit crap so we don't really bother any more...

Ian.

OP
T

tonbo

I think it all depends.....(gee, has anyone ever said *that* before, about martial arts topics??)

For classes (sparring, drills, etc.), we often use eclectic music--mostly the "Jock Jams" type CDs, and whatever compilations we can get ahold of. We have also used techno and general "dance" type music--anything with a driving beat that will not offend the general populace.

For personal training, it depends on what kind of mood I am in, and what I am working on. I have trained to traditional shakuhachi flute music, heavy metal, trance, techno, you name it. The feeling is different with each, and I sometimes try to work "opposite" the music, i.e., do a tough, driving, heavy-metal type workout to something traditional Japanese. The results can be interesting....

Final note: For my black belt test, I was asked to put together and perform a sword kata to music. I chose the techno track from the "Blade" soundtrack (the dance club sequence...). It was beautiful...;)

OP
R

Rainman

:ultracool

Trance is very cool. Salza is next, but Limp Bizkits "Give me something to Break " usually opens my eyes about half way through the song on an unenthusiastic day. From Discharge to Vivaldi to Los Calles to the Taiko drums I have found some very interesting rythems to work with.

AvPKenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Drowning Pool............"Let the Bodies Hit the Floor".......Thats my all time fav for Kenpo.

Michael

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Limp Bizkits "Give me something to Break "

How can you not like working out to a song about ripping someone's head off :D :D

I wish we could do some Limp Bizcit to work out to, but alas too many young minds around to play it.

Latest Discussions