Music in the Dojaang

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering how many instructors play music while they are working there class out....I believe one cannot concentrate 100% while music is playing, on the other hand alot of instructors are going to this as it helps with the student interest while training, they say it helps the time go by quicker.... God Bless America
Thanks in advance for your reply...................:partyon: :jediduel:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My instructor used to allow music during monotonous workouts ie. 5000 front kicks, or just a list of 100's that goes on for a while or during a punching/bag workout. I used to have music for my kickboxing class and it makes everyone go harder, faster to the beat. But to form, if it doesn't match up and rarely does just right it can be really disconcerting. However, if the music is matched to the form, musical form, is really fun to do. Also, it is a tournament event. But slow, romantic music is not it. I saw a BB do something like that at a tournamen for form and there was no way for him to show power with those slow soft lyrics. (he was in love-their song-oh my).

I think it can also have a mind-altering effect-energating-uplifting-motivating – to work harder. But that is what music is about. My instructor only wants Christian music. While alot of Christian music has gotten better, I really don't want to kick in tempo to Amazing Grace or whatever comes on the radio. It all has to be prescreened so the tempo is right. Not a mixed tempo, there are some good exercise tapes/cd's for cardio, kickboxing type workouts. Warmup, slow, mid-tempo and then faster for the cardio workout etc. Music is on my wish list. So, if I ever get my women's class together, I definitely will have it part of the time. Probably not during sparring either, as I would want everyone focused, concentrating and not their mind on the tune.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Unless it is a cardo workout, I don't believe there should be music. I think it is a distraction. Timing and rythme should be based on your physical abliities, the drill, etc. and not music.

I honestly believe that if instructors use music to "help the time pass quicker" and help to keep student's interest, then that instructor seriously needs to re-evaluate what he teaches and how he teaches it.

Langdow

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think supplementing a workout with music can be benificial in some cases. IE) During a warmup, or during a hard cardio class, or really any hi energy class where the emphasis is on repetition.

I've found this helps to drive the energy of class forward even further than it already is, and helps keep a relaxed attitude about the drill, the second reason being most important.

During classes where technique is being learned, or emphasized I would say the music can be a slight distraction on the learning process, as now the instructor has to compete with the music and speak over it as well as trying to show physically what to do.

I love using music when I train and teach, but again there is a right time for it, and a wrong time.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Our demonstration team uses music, otherwise no music whatsoever in class. Music tends to be distracting, and you need 100% concentration while practicing. Also, I think playing music in the dojang trivializes Tae Kwon Do and reduces it to the level of Tae Bo or kickboxing.
Agree with Shu2jack: If the Instructor has to use music to keep students' interest, he needs to reevaluate his approach.

Latest Discussions