Sleepover's

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:partyon: I was just wondering as we was having are last sleep over at our Dojo, how many if any does this anymore and if you do how do you guys handle the agenda. do you ask for parents to help. We are lucky we have a great deal of parent involvement when it comes down to joint adventure between the staff and the students.... GOD BLESS AMERICA
Eyecrazy.gif

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:xtrmshock :xtrmshock Your school does sleepoevers :xtrmshock :xtrmshock

I am going off to cry now :waah: and figure out a way to bribe....errr... I mean talk my instructor into a sleepover :wink2:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am in awe, you are indeed a fearless leader. Or do you just hand it off to the parents and say good night? No sleepovers at our school. TW

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I am in awe, you are indeed a fearless leader. Or do you just hand it off to the parents and say good night? No sleepovers at our school. TW
No Tigerwoman I stay alnight you have to lead by example, you can't ask other people to do what your job is. As you already know my school so I have to be here or I could not leave with myself if other people did the work... Thanks for your comment I always look forward to you replys... GOD BLESS AMERICA

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Damian Mavis said:
Sounds like Nalia is thinking of a completely different kind of sleepover....

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD
:xtrmshock LOL!

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am so glad to hear that SOMEONE still sees this as a viable alternative. Back in the 70-s this was a regular event. When people traveled long distances to come to a tournament or seminar the host school often allowed people to bring their sleeping bags and crash in the school. There was send-out for food (usually pizza) and soft drinks and even though it was guys and gals together everybody was on the honor system to behavior themselves, and I can't remember a single incident where they didn't. No pranks, or showing off or panky-panky after lights out. The best part was that people were together to talk KMA with others they had never met and compare notes on all sorts of things that they had thought about but maybe didn't want to bring up with their own instructor but wanted another gueppy's thoughts on. Some great memories came out of those events. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sitting around and talking about MA would be sweet. cause then you could say,"it looks like this" and you could get up and do it. Here at MT we can talk, but no action, and at the Dojo, there usually isnt time for that. sweet stuff.

glad2bhere

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely!! And its all very informal among peers without the instructor being around. Sometimes the lower ranks need to just compare notes among themselves without seniors constantly stepping in to "adjust" things. Know what I mean? This is the stuff lasting friendships can come out of.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

K

kwanjang

I think today there are several kinds of sleep overs. One has all the kiddies stay for some activities, another has people (mostly adults) stay over to help defray some travel expenses, and one is designed to allow folks to get a taste of what is was like to be a "live in" student as we often did in the old days.

I recently had a week long "old time" training session where it was mandatory to stay in the dojang, clean the place, and fix things that needed fixing. Participants had a great time, and we will do it again next November. As part of the training, we ran our obstacle course (in snow) and did a dip in the icy waters of Lake Huron where we actually had to break ice as we went in. Then it was back to the dojang for more training. Great stuff we just don't do much anymore:( To be consistent with the old time training, the Juk Do was part and parcel of the sessions, and no one complained:)

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a couple months ago, I was working with someone on a graveyard shift. we were talking about a Taijutsu technique, then we both stood up and started going over it. it was fun, 'cause we dont get much chat time at the Dojo.

S

sifu nick

We have sleepovers or "camp nights" as we call them occasionally. We use our own staff as counselors so that it can also be a "parents night out" We play games with the kids or watch movies and have snacks. The kids love them.

X

XxTKDPenguinxX

We did a sleep over/lock in at our school just this past New Years Eve. We did it for thos parents that wanted to go out for the night and to let the kids have something cool to do for New Years. We charged a small amount to help pay for food and drink and party favors. Played a lot of games and even held a class. Towards the end of the night, after we counted down, we popped in a movie "Finding Nemo" or something and curled up in our sleeping bags.
Parents were invited to attend if they wanted to volunteer to help.
We also encouraged each student to bring one friend and those friends would get a free week of classes.

Oh... my instructor and my self got into trouble (with our spouses) because we kept playing practical jokes on the older students that were there.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
sifu nick said:
We have sleepovers or "camp nights" as we call them occasionally. We use our own staff as counselors so that it can also be a "parents night out" We play games with the kids or watch movies and have snacks. The kids love them.
We hold sleepovers (ninja nights) once or twice a year at our dojo. The staff is there to watch the kids. We play games, watch movies, pizza and snacks. Some kids want to work on their techniques/forms. A few parents join in too (mostly to lend more female adult presence). It's nice to have a "parents night out", especially around the holidays.

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions