Other martial arts with taekwondo

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i have taken up taekwondo (WTF) about 8 weeks ago and i was just thinking about joining another martial arts as well.

Please can anyone tell me if it is just confusing taking up 2 arts at the same time or will it help. The options available to me are tai chi, aikido, karate, judo, lau gar kung fu

I am thinking of joining a gym aswell, what is the best exercises to help with taekwondo/martial arts.

thanks

Terry

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you are new to the martial arts or if you have not done one in a long time, I recommend you sticking to one art for a while. Simply because trying to learn new stuff from two different styles can overwhelm you and that you will not be able to focus and improve any one thing to your fullest. Now if you have been in the MA for a long time, then I would say go ahead because you are not so much learning something new as you are learning new ways to apply what you have already learned.

I would also be careful of joining two different MA and going to a gym. While it can be very good for you, but you can also very easily burn yourself out if you are not 100% fully committed and it is not done right. A proper diet, a set training schedule, etc. will need to be set up to make sure everything is done effectivly. Obviously this is a big commitment.
Now, if you choose to do two arts at the same time anyways or if you are an experience martial artist, I would recommend judo because of the throws and grappling since it is one of TKD's weaker areas.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well Terry i would say stay with the one art for awhile , see if it is benefiting you if not choose another one... I personally do not believe in two or more at one time... The Art you choose should have 110% of your attention from the beginning to see if that is the Art for you..... God Bless America

K

kwanjang

Like the others who answered your post. I too think that training in two different arts (and those you have posted as options ARE quite different) will be a bit confusing while you are still new at it. Burning out is another serious problem. Pace yourself, and add additional training when you are ready to tackle some more in a year or so.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree with the "one year" approach. You need to attain Master Instructor in one style before considering another. Only then are your basics developed enough to begin another style. Otherwise, you get people who try 5 arts simultanously.

K

kwanjang

Like the man said. It is HIS opinion, and he IS welcome to it; however, that does not mean it is correct. Only YOU can make that decision. IMHO, after a year or so of serious training, you should be able to see if there is something missing in your curriculum. If there is, you will quit long before you become a Master. I would much prefer for one of my students to expand their quest for more by looking into a compatible art that may fit their needs than have them quit martial art training altogether.

BTW, a year "or so" does NOT miraculously translate into ONE YEAR. The "or so" might just imply that it may take a wee bit longer.)

OP
T

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thank you for all the advice.

i will stick to one art,

will joining a gym help my Taekwondo

i am unfit, not flexible so i think that it would help

thanks

K

kwanjang

Hello Terry:
A good martial arts program will help you achieve your fitness goals as well, so you might save yourself some big bucks by not HAVING to join a gym. Give the martial art program a few months to see if you are dropping any inches (not just weight). Measure your stretch right now, and make sure to gently begin pushing yourself by HOLDING any particular stretch for at least one minute. After a few weeks, you might begin to see some of the changes I am sure you are looking for. Do homework on stretching.

I suspected that you might not be in the best of shape by your eagerness to do something about it. The best advise you can give yourself is to stick with a good program, give yourself ample time (don't expect overnight miracles), and do NOT injure yourself stretching because that will just set your progress back by months. Take your time, but be consistent.

Once you have learned a form (hyung), you can begin doing it in four directions at least once a day. This will give you a better sense of direction, and it will begin a great cardiovascular enhancement by doing "sport specific" exercises. Increase this as you learn new forms by doing them all in four directions. In this manner, your CV capacity will "grow" with the program. Be sure to check with a qualified physician before beginning ANY fitness program (including martial arts). Have fun!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A year in any martial art, Tae Kwon Do included, advances you to the level of barely competent. If someone who trained under me for a year wanted to branch out due to "something missing" in their training, I would tell them to let me know when they have decided what martial art they want to stick with.
Otherwise you get "Jack of all arts, master of none."

K

kwanjang

You assume that all schools teach the way you do. In some schools a "year or so" will get you a black belt. IMHO, any student in such a school MUST be missing something, and I'd hate for that person to spend another twenty years to Master level (as you suggest) before doing something about that.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So shop around and find the school that fits you. If a school isn't giving you what you want, or the Instructor is a jerk, leave and find another one. Branching while staying at a school that you feel is incomplete will not help you.
The world is full of people who want and think they can make up for any definciencies in a style by practicing 5 different arts. So you get these floaters who practice Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kuk Sool Won, Escrima, and BJJ simultaneously thinking they can eliminate any weaknesses. Then they have a superficial knowlege of each one. I'm not against any of them . But keep them separate, and understand the art you choose to study.
I'm not going to go back over this. People know where I stand.

K

kwanjang

Most Instructors (and arts) have strengths and weaknesses, and I think it is a wise decision to go to those from whom you can learn whatever it is you seek. Those who know me also know that I am not advocating students to become jacks of all trades; however, having a closed mind is not the answer for those who honestly seek knowledge or to better themselves (lest you prefer to believe that the world is flat just because some (at one time highly regarded) scholars said it was).

The originator of this thread now has had the opportunity to see two opposing views on this issue. Even though I might personally have a different idea on this subject than I have championed, I have given an opposite view for one simple reason... it is NEVER a good idea to follow any one person's advise blindly. Moreover, there is a real danger of becoming brainwashed to the point where personal sacrifices are made just to follow the lead of someone who might only have his own best interest at heart.

Having been exposed to organizations and individuals who profess to "know or have it all" has made me see first hand that these folks have nothing but their own self-serving interests in mind when they brainwash students into following their way of thinking. In fact, they would rather have you not think at all.:( As a teacher, I see it as my duty to give a student some options to consider. :asian:

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Brainwashing is controlling someone's thoughts and behavior the point where they feel afraid to leave you or have been flat out told not to leave. I have never told anyone not to leave. Nor have I ever said that our style is the best. Anyone is free to leave anytime. They can, however, not practice another simultanously as our style until they attain 4th Dan or above. I want them to have a solid grounding in Tae Kwon Do, and they can't do that if their energy and focus is being split 2, 3, or 4 ways. It can't be done. If they want to practice aikido or judo, they cannot practice Tae Kwon Do as well. The mechanics and thought processes are different. My Instructor wanted the same thing years ago. He was practicing judo, and wanted to continue that with Tae Kwon Do. Our Grandmaster said pick one. Which one is not important.
To my knowlege, none of our Instructors, even the Seniors, hold rank in other arts. They have all stuck with Tae Kwon Do. Not because they were forced to, but because they and I have such a respect for our Instructor. Who else would give us what he has given us?

D

Dragongup

terry_gardener said:
i have taken up taekwondo (WTF) about 8 weeks ago and i was just thinking about joining another martial arts as well.

Please can anyone tell me if it is just confusing taking up 2 arts at the same time or will it help. The options available to me are tai chi, aikido, karate, judo, lau gar kung fu

I am thinking of joining a gym aswell, what is the best exercises to help with taekwondo/martial arts.

thanks

Terry
What you should do is stick you tae kwon do until you are at least a green and then go into another style. trust me I know because I am in tae kwon do and we also teach hapkido and haidong gumdo.

K

kwanjang

MichiganTKD said:
My Instructor wanted the same thing years ago. He was practicing judo, and wanted to continue that with Tae Kwon Do. Our Grandmaster said pick one. Which one is not important.

IMHO that is a position of intimidation paramount to brainwashing, 'nuff said

:partyon:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
kwanjang said:
Most Instructors (and arts) have strengths and weaknesses, and I think it is a wise decision to go to those from whom you can learn whatever it is you seek. Those who know me also know that I am not advocating students to become jacks of all trades; however, having a closed mind is not the answer for those who honestly seek knowledge or to better themselves (lest you prefer to believe that the world is flat just because some (at one time highly regarded) scholars said it was).

The originator of this thread now has had the opportunity to see two opposing views on this issue. Even though I might personally have a different idea on this subject than I have championed, I have given an opposite view for one simple reason... it is NEVER a good idea to follow any one person's advise blindly. Moreover, there is a real danger of becoming brainwashed to the point where personal sacrifices are made just to follow the lead of someone who might only have his own best interest at heart.

Having been exposed to organizations and individuals who profess to "know or have it all" has made me see first hand that these folks have nothing but their own self-serving interests in mind when they brainwash students into following their way of thinking. In fact, they would rather have you not think at all.:( As a teacher, I see it as my duty to give a student some options to consider. :asian:

It is refreshing to see that you do indeed have an open mind and consider more than whats on the surface. A year or so, would give him a better viewpoint to make a decision anyway. I was a green belt after a year, though, didn't know much or was able to do much. It would have been very hard to do more than the 8 hours a week that I was doing to get better at TKD then! If I couldn't go to class, it was because I was injured! I got "hooked" as a yellow belt but was early, according to my instructor. I was wise enough in life though to know what I liked and to stay with what I liked, only way to get better in at least one "way". Life is about choices though. Some people work on more styles to incorporate it into their fighting, but I really doubt IMO they get really advanced in more than one art unless they are REALLY talented and really young!

K

kwanjang

TigerWoman said:
Life is about choices though.

Hello TigerWoman:
That is the entire point I was trying to make. The original question was from a newcomer in the arts, and IMHO the advise to stay until reaching Master level was a bit over the top at that stage of training. I strongly believe that part of training in any martial art is about growing as an individual. This is hardly possible when your Instructor is too rigid in his methods to guide you. Thank you for making a good point. :asian:

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our school trains in all styles as much as we can. We are a traditional CDK TKD studio, but once the basics are tought we take it upon ourselves to suppliment our students' knowledge by including anything we know from all other arts.

If you are still reding the replies to this post, terry, I would suggest that you stick with TKD, as long as you feel comfortable, and If you ever feel that your missing out on somehting try going to a seminar, or asking another school if you may train with them for a week, on a trade of knowledge basis. This is after you have learned your basics well of course, and a little more experience before you go into another school.:asian:

OP
T

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Which i have said before in this topic i am going to stay with TKD until i decide to change which if i do so it will be when i know the basics of TKD and i will ask my instructor his opinion on taking an other art, if i end up taking up an other MA then it will be totally different to TKD for example TAi CHI or Aikido.

Thank you for all your opinions

Just still one question again that i asked earlier will joining a gym help with my martial art

i am 5foot 5inces, 9stone 1pound, 30 waist, male but quite unfit and not flexible so i was thinking that joining a gym will help to increase strength, flexibility, speed, and endurance/stamina, can i have your opinion on this.

Latest Discussions