Music in martial arts

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I watched the mma movie warrior and the mma trainer used music to help his fighters visualise and plan their strategies. Now I know it's a movie but I also saw as an extra for the movie a hour long documentary with Greg Jackson who they modelled it on and he says he uses a lot of classical music like Beethoven etc. I know in traditional martial arts its also done with musical forms.

Now maybe it's because I'm about as musically talented as my dog but I can just never see it or relate to it. I get the beats in between the notes of the music represents the timing of your punches and kicks. But that's about all I know so was wondering if anyone had more info on this.

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure there was someone on here who said they had made a form to sync with a specific piece of music, although I can't remember who it was.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh... musical forms/kata.
Music while training is good, doing kata to music isn't.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ugh... musical forms/kata.
Music while training is good, doing kata to music isn't.
I think you hit the important factor here. Kata is training, but training isn't Kata. When someone says training, it's important to determine what type of training. I'll go out on a limb and say that MMA training is not the same as kata / forms.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My friend Michelle back in the 90's :D
And you bring up a good point too with that video. What is the person training for? Fighting or competition like that video? I don't train for that purpose of performance competition and I sometimes forget that others do.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Today I watched the mma movie warrior and the mma trainer used music to help his fighters visualise and plan their strategies. Now I know it's a movie but I also saw as an extra for the movie a hour long documentary with Greg Jackson who they modelled it on and he says he uses a lot of classical music like Beethoven etc. I know in traditional martial arts its also done with musical forms.

Now maybe it's because I'm about as musically talented as my dog but I can just never see it or relate to it. I get the beats in between the notes of the music represents the timing of your punches and kicks. But that's about all I know so was wondering if anyone had more info on this.
Music does stimulate motor senses. I don't see how it directly helps to improve martial art skill.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I personally find it distracting unless it is for Kata. I am a huge music dork so I edited a lot of current existing songs so I can listen to while working on it.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally find it distracting unless it is for Kata. I am a huge music dork so I edited a lot of current existing songs so I can listen to while working on it.

Listening to music while doing kata I have no problem with, my pet hate is setting katas to music. Perhaps the same people would like to set a fight to music next.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to music while doing kata I have no problem with, my pet hate is setting katas to music. Perhaps the same people would like to set a fight to music next.

Maybe, but music is what it is. For example, hitting a bag with Trance, helps me to focus with rythem and such like. Capoeira is like that though, in my limited experience.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but music is what it is. For example, hitting a bag with Trance, helps me to focus with rythem and such like. Capoeira is like that though, in my limited experience.

I like playing music when I'm training on my own, but I really do draw the line at those who set katas to music ( not train kata with music on) who set the techniques to fit the music, waving their arms around in time to the music ruining the whole point of kata, doing slow kicks to slow pieces of music and then go an compete in 'musical kata' competitions.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like playing music when I'm training on my own, but I really do draw the line at those who set katas to music ( not train kata with music on) who set the techniques to fit the music, waving their arms around in time to the music ruining the whole point of kata, doing slow kicks to slow pieces of music and then go an compete in 'musical kata' competitions.

Yeah I can see that, but maybe for some, a certain type of music can fit Kata. After all, music is life, and life is music in some cultures.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I can see that, but maybe for some, a certain type of music can fit Kata. After all, music is life, and life is music in some cultures.

I don't see how setting kata to music and doing kicks timed to fit in with music can ever help your training, it's merely a novelty for those who don't understand what kata is for. It's a case of ''oooo look lots of movements we can make into a weird parody of a dance instead of training to fight and defend ourselves. Let's make something practical and useful into a complete travesty" :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how setting kata to music and doing kicks timed to fit in with music can ever help your training, it's merely a novelty for those who don't understand what kata is for. It's a case of ''oooo look lots of movements we can make into a weird parody of a dance instead of training to fight and defend ourselves. Let's make something practical and useful into a complete travesty" :)

Yes I can agree with the kata. Training and learning to defend ourself, it's all music

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not if you are tone deaf lol!

Yeah maybe Does having a perfreated right drum count. Mind. you, I do have the advantage of being a gamer. The "fields of Ard Skellige" from the Witcher 3, is quite powerful in a way that tempers the rythem. Short and powerful, and to the point.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
paul vunak is a bit mad keen for bongos during training.

As far as kata to music. Meh. Its kata. The angriest scowley faced kata practitioner is fighting as many people being all super serious as that girl was with her kata to music.

It is not one person that really has the high horse there.

Last edited:

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
paul vunak is a bit mad keen for bongos during training.

As far as kata to music. Meh. Its kata. The angriest scowley faced kata practitioner is fighting as many people being all super serious as that girl was with her kata to music.

It is not one person that really has the high horse there.

Not sure how you going to fly though

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I find that having music with a good danceable beat gives me extra energy for long grueling training or sparring sessions.