Moving to America

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I would guess something like:
1. Excellent oral skills
2. Proven ability to motivate and inspire co-workers
Don speaks Japanese; would that be enough to support point one?

Don Roley said:
Nuts!!! There should be a warning ....:barf:
"Nuts"???

My favorite fluffer with "nuts"...

http://www.marshmallowfluff.com/htm/fn_frame.shtml

icon10.gif

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don -

Here's why I'm in WA (not just because of military assignment, since I requested Fort Lewis to begin with):

My wife was born in the Phillipines. Though she has been in the US since she was 3, and her mother accuses her of not being "really" Filipino (it is a family joke, as mom tries to pressure my wife into eating some foods that are Filipino equivalents of natto and shiokara), she most certainly was not raised totally "American."

My children spent the bulk of their early formative years living in Japan. My kids still, at 13 and 10, ask when we are "going home." They mean Japan when they say it.

We eat Asian food in our home; rarely will you find traditional "American" fare at our table. We love Filipino, Thai, Japanese, Chinese (both traditional and American-Chinese), and Korean cuisine, as well as all kinds of other foods.

We are fond of a Japanese-like weather pattern, with warm summers and cool winters (with a minimum of snow).

Thus, Washington was a good choice...

Plenty of martial arts for me (our senior-most instructor below my teacher, the headmaster of Yiliquan works on Fort Lewis, as did/will I; I have other martial interests in the area as well to continue my education), plenty of good restaurants, large Asian population (making my kids feel a little more at home than, say, in Kansas :rolleyes: ), easy access to things we are accustomed to having (large number of Asian grocery stores), as well as the best of American consumerism.

The only trick I see is getting you a job. That depends on what you're willing to do, I suppose.

Enjoy.

:asian:

Xequat

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kentucky's not bad either. I live in Northern KY and I am under two hours from Columbus, OH, Dayton, OH, Indianapolis, IN, Lexington, KY, and Louisville, KY, and just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. There are Toyota facilities in NKY and Georgetown, KY, which is by Lexington. The KY, Tennessee, West Virginia area has a few mountain ranges - Appalachian and Smokies, I think, so maybe Eastern KY, but there, you're getting away from civilization. I hear Pennsylvania has some nice mountainous areas, but I've never been. We have all four seasons here; it's been in the 90's recently and very humid, and it snowed like crazy in the winter, so you get the best and the worst of all four seasons. Allergies here suck, though. PM me if you'd like.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let's talk about Minnesota...

Anybody that want's a concealed carry permit can get one (barring felonies, etc)

Life stays interesting as far as weather goes from about 50 below zero to over a 100 above...

You may think we're flat, but where I live it's not flat at all....there's actually a change in elevation of 1 foot per mile.....which is just a bit too hilly for my tastes, actually...

Not many mountians to speak of, although we do have an iron range and around 11,000 lakes...

And as far as the Bujinkan...never even heard of it before I joined MartialTalk...

KyleShort

Green Belt
Reaction score
Getting a job in America is as easy as you are willing to make it. You can get any job you want if you keep in mind three simple rules: 1) People decide who is hired and people are fallable, wooable and reasoning 2) You will be hired if they are desperate for what you offer 3) rules are made to be broken

Example, my job at a fortune 500 company required a bachelor's degree and 3+ years industry experience, preferably an MBA. I was hired without a degree, no real exerience and I was only 19...I am soon to hit my 6 year annivesary here.

I have a friend who has a degree in History and is a business analyst...another with a degree in drama and is a project manager.

Just sell yourself :)

You can certainly leverage your less obvious skills for a miriad of jobs, but if you want to use your Japanese for employment...the west coast is a good idea given the extensive interaction with Japan. The largest ports on the west are in Washington (seattle) and Vancouver (B.C).

Teaching, interpreting, analysis...lots to consider :)

One thing specifically worth noting would be Real Estate. The Japanese heavily invest in west coast real estate and you can begin taking online real estate courses while in Japan...get a few courses under your belt and you can take a test or two to get your real estate agent's license for the state you live in. Then you have a niche possibly...help the Japanese invest here :)

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another thing that may be different in the American work place is the number of hours you are expected to put in a week. It really varies from job to job.... and I don't really know what you would be looking into. I am not sure what the average is in Japan, but 40 hrs is generally considered full time, unless you have the misfortue of being put on salary then its anybody's guess.

:idunno:

Good luck

-Josh

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No Booj school here, but still enough city to keep the wife satisfied. You should live in Washington, work in Washington and shop in Oregon. I am currently about 3 miles as the crow flies to the Columbia River - busy area, but not TOO busy - yet. There is DEFINITELY an excellent market for you here - we are not yet overrun with dojos and dojangs, and more than willing students. Plenty to keep you in business, no problem. Your biggest competition ... commercial Tae Kwon Do. (wink)
Well, in the area mentioned, there is Aric Keith, Bill Atkins, and others.
PLENTY of Booj in north oregon area. bellingham is a good area.

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don, I have read some of your posts before and then rolled across this one. Thought I would throw in my dollars worth. I have traveled all over the US (Only I think six states I have not been in) and quite a few countries also. How about thinking of Alaska? I lived there for 3 years and wished I would have never come back to the states. No bujinkan schools there, many mountains, open carry permitted (I had a CCW while I was there pretty easy to go through). Let me know if you want any other info I can provide. I am also offering some family service. My wife does Resumes and my dad is a Real Estate agent that I may be able to get you any info you may need. My brother is a nidan in bujinkan under I think David Street (might have his last name wrong). Drop me a line and let me know. Have you thought about teaching at a University? Either Asian History or Language? Or working as an interpreter? Or jumping into opening a scool with someone?

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Gemini, if you move down to VA let me know where and I can give ya some help too.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many gvt. agencies may be interested in your language skills Don. Just a thought.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don, you could always teach.

New Mexico has a shortage of teachers, it's mountainous and arid; there are two Bujinkan schools in Albuquerque-one that used to be Abi Allen's and one affiliated with Jeffrey Prather, and none that I know of elsewhere in the state-there once were in Las Cruces and here in Los ALamos, and I think there was a study group in Socorro, but I don't know what happened to them....
...of course, you'd be dangerously close to the "best fighter in the Bujinkan," :rolleyes: :lol: :lol: but I'm still recommending New Mexico.

I know someone who'd provide you with an excellent personal reference.;)

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I met Don Roley in New Mexico back in 1990 when Bill Atkins was holding a seminar out there. I believe he was a 8th kyu back then. I don't think he wants to mave back there. Of course what do I know.:idunno:

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kakuma said:
I believe he was a 8th kyu back then.

Nope- and don't think I am writing off New Mexico yet. I don't want to step on any toes when I move back and I would like to move to an area that has not had a chance to see real Bujinkan before. But Abi Allen is one of the most understanding and cool people in the Bujinkan and I do not see any problems if I move into her backyard.

That is one thing I have heard from people who have moved back to their countries. When they move in and set up shop, some people in the Bujinkan think that they are trying to take over. I have heard stories of people talking about bortherhood and interaction between Bujinkan dojos, only to ignore seminars and such given at the new dojo of the guy from Japan.

I doubt that would happen with Abi or her friends. So maybe I should think about New Mexico like Elder999 suggests. And I am also now thinking about Alaska. I have been there briefly and liked their summers. But I thought my wife would go through the roof at the idea. But I now remember that she used to live in Hokkaido and probably understands that it is not snow and ice all the time. AND....... there probably is no cockroach problem up there. That would be a big plus in her book.

kakuma

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When they move in and set up shop, some people in the Bujinkan think that they are trying to take over.
Never really understood that mentality.

I doubt that would happen with Abi or her friends.
Abi appreciates good instructors and good training. I don't think she would mind either. I believe that she would support you 100%.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
And I am also now thinking about Alaska. I have been there briefly and liked their summers.
Well...teaching pays MUCH better in Alaska than in New Mexico, and there are quite a few other benefits to being a resident there...

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
elder999 said:
Well...teaching pays MUCH better in Alaska than in New Mexico, and there are quite a few other benefits to being a resident there...

You mean like an annual check as a result of oil revenue? Yeah, that doesn't suck. Of course the cost of living there is fairly high, the federal goverment COLA adjustment for Alaska is the same as Hawaii, about 25%.

Lamont

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Don

In my area, the Twin Ports (Duluth MN and Superior WI), there are no bujinkan groups. In fact, you would be bringing something totally unique into this area. You could start your own business and draw in some really serious martial artists from all over.

Also, the natural beauty of this area is awe-inspiring. We have great hunting and fishing. We have hiking and wilderness and camping. You should pay us a visit.

http://www.ci.duluth.mn.us/city/mainpage/

Check out the photo gallery on the website some good views of the Twin Ports.

Here are some pics of a recent adventure of mine...

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=399830&postcount=9

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Blindside said:
You mean like an annual check as a result of oil revenue? Yeah, that doesn't suck. Of course the cost of living there is fairly high, the federal goverment COLA adjustment for Alaska is the same as Hawaii, about 25%.

Lamont
While I knew about that, it isn't at all what I meant. I meant brown bears, caribou, moose, bald eagles, huge salmon, huge trout, beautiful mountains, and, best of all, next to no people.......

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
elder999 said:
While I knew about that, it isn't at all what I meant. I meant brown bears, caribou, moose, bald eagles, huge salmon, huge trout, beautiful mountains, and, best of all, next to no people.......

Oh, that. I grew up in Wasilla, AK, I just took that for granted. :)

Lamont

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Alaska is off the table.

My wife is with the wicked witch of the South this week and I called her tonight. Lets just say I was glad to be in another prefecture when I put forward the idea of moving to Alaska.

It was not the cold. It was the idea of living in the inaka. That means the boonies in English. I tried to tell her that there were shopping centers, etc in the major cities of Alaska. But she would not hear of it.

Oh yeah, and some of you are suggesting Wisconson and Minnesota. If I ask her, can I stay on your couch afterwards? :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions