moving for Muay Thai

manchu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello. I have been training Muay Thai for the past year. I have been learning how to spar and clinch. I am now really into it, and I plan to go to a camp in Thailand next year. Here is the problem. My instructor just left, and there is no one who can teach Muay Thai in the area I live. There is a city in the same state where has three or four Muay Thai gyms. If I move, I would have to find a new job and start over my life with no one I know in the city. I am very used to be moving, but I do like where I live now. I guess it is the matter of priority. Luckliy, there is not much I am obligated to do at this point. Do you guys have any suggestions?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a life decision akin to choosing a college or career. Treat it that way. Will you have job opportunities in the new city? Can you afford a few month delay in finding a job? The job market today is pretty tight most places... I'm assuming by your statement that you don't have obligations to meet where you live now.

Have you looked into the schools? Would they be worth moving? Are you thinking about making a career as a fighter or instructor/coach?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are there any boxing gyms in your area? At the very least it would giveyou a place to workout and you could get some great help on your hands.

Check some other styles and schools in your area. Though I have only dabbled for a VERY short time with a Thai that worked for me, I still have a somewhat Thai way about my kickboxing. You may be able to find someone in your area that has some Muay Thai experience that just does not teach. Is there a Thai cultural center in your area? If so, try there.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
Or, try to get in contact with one of those other gyms that is closest and go there as time allows for training with them and then REALLY work on your stuff at home on a heavy bag.

This would allow you to see what the other gym is like before moving only to find you don't like it there and allows you to make contacts and get some feelers out for jobs.

Latest Discussions