movies categorized by MA style?

MyrddinEmrys

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because it seems like the place where the most people might see it.

I like watching martial arts movies, and sometimes I like getting to see different styles in movies. I've tried looking online for a list of martial arts movies organized by the styles depicted, but have never found such a list. I tried making a list of movies including the styles that seem to be depicted prominently. The order of the list is the order in which I remembered or thought of a movie, so I apologize for it being so random.

So, here's my list and format:

Title, release year, hero's style/villain's style, other prominently featured styles

The One, 2001, bagua/xingyi
Redbelt, 2008, bjj?
Deadly Fury (other titles I've seen: Pride's Deadly Fury, The Honor of Dongfan Xu), 1983, bagua
Ip Man, 2008, wing chun
Ip Man 2, 2010, wing chun
Ip Man 3, 2015, wing chun
The Legend is Born: Ip Man, 2010,wing chun
Ip Man: The Final Fight, 2013, wing chun
The Grandmaster, 2013, wing chun, bagua, xingyi
Ong-bak, 2003, muay thai
Ong-bak 2, 2008, muay thai
Ong-bak 3, 2010, muay thai
The Protector, 2005, muay thai
Warrior, 2011, mma
Choyleefut: Speed of Light, 2011, choy lee fut?
Tai Chi Zero, 2012, chen tai chi
Tai Chi Hero, 2012, chen tai chi
The Legend of Drunken Master, 1994, drunken boxing

If anyone can add to the list, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to include movies featuring any style of martial arts whether it's European, Asian, weapons, empty handed, etc. I'd also be curious to get opinions on whether or not certain movies do a good job portraying the styles they are trying to depict.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I thought the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Jr. showcased Wing Chun, and I believe he is a student of WC.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Robert downey Jr. Trains wing chun. Guy Ritchie, the director, trains bjj. I saw elements of both.p in the movies, dressed up quite a bit for the big screen. But I think you're both right.

In other news, what was that movie that featured capoeira?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Robert downey Jr. Trains wing chun. Guy Ritchie, the director, trains bjj. I saw elements of both.p in the movies, dressed up quite a bit for the big screen. But I think you're both right.

Never mind. Found it. Only the Strong. Mark dacascos.

Only the Strong (1993) - IMDb

Just thought about Above the Law and Hard to Kill... Early Seagal movies featuring aikido.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

There has been a couple. Only the strong will be the one you are thinking of.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm posting this here because it seems like the place where the most people might see it.

I like watching martial arts movies, and sometimes I like getting to see different styles in movies. I've tried looking online for a list of martial arts movies organized by the styles depicted, but have never found such a list. I tried making a list of movies including the styles that seem to be depicted prominently. The order of the list is the order in which I remembered or thought of a movie, so I apologize for it being so random.

So, here's my list and format:

Title, release year, hero's style/villain's style, other prominently featured styles

The One, 2001, bagua/xingyi
Redbelt, 2008, bjj?
Deadly Fury (other titles I've seen: Pride's Deadly Fury, The Honor of Dongfan Xu), 1983, bagua
Ip Man, 2008, wing chun
Ip Man 2, 2010, wing chun
Ip Man 3, 2015, wing chun
The Legend is Born: Ip Man, 2010,wing chun
Ip Man: The Final Fight, 2013, wing chun
The Grandmaster, 2013, wing chun, bagua, xingyi
Ong-bak, 2003, muay thai
Ong-bak 2, 2008, muay thai
Ong-bak 3, 2010, muay thai
The Protector, 2005, muay thai
Warrior, 2011, mma
Choyleefut: Speed of Light, 2011, choy lee fut?
Tai Chi Zero, 2012, chen tai chi
Tai Chi Hero, 2012, chen tai chi
The Legend of Drunken Master, 1994, drunken boxing

If anyone can add to the list, I'd greatly appreciate it. Feel free to include movies featuring any style of martial arts whether it's European, Asian, weapons, empty handed, etc. I'd also be curious to get opinions on whether or not certain movies do a good job portraying the styles they are trying to depict.

you mentioned Tony Ja in ONG-Bak #3. there are many styles in this movie and if your attentive you can pick them out. i think Tony Ja did a great job at recreating each style.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see Deadpool yesterday, I can't tell what style the fighting is but for sheer violence with extreme laughs you can't beat this film! Great fun with very nice moves though I have to say Gina Carano is almost unrecognisable.

OP
M

MyrddinEmrys

White Belt
Reaction score
Never mind. Found it. Only the Strong. Mark dacascos.

Only the Strong (1993) - IMDb

Just thought about Above the Law and Hard to Kill... Early Seagal movies featuring aikido.

Thanks. I couldn't remember what that one was called. I saw it a long time ago.

you mentioned Tony Ja in ONG-Bak #3. there are many styles in this movie and if your attentive you can pick them out. i think Tony Ja did a great job at recreating each style.

In The Protector, there's a scene where he fights a capoeira guy, a wushu broadsword guy, and a giant wall of muscle guy. I can't remember if I've seen all of Ong-Bak 2, but there's a training scene featuring iaido/iaijutsu and/or kenjutsu of some variety, something that looks like hung gar, and some type of grappling art. I haven't seen Ong-Bak 3.

There's a 2012 movie called The Kung Fu Master that's supposed to be about Dong Haichuan, the founder (or first open teacher) of baguazhang. It's sort of about his life and developing his art, so his style seems to change, but the bagua looks more bagua like in the fights than what Jet Li uses in the final fight of The One. The bagua in The One at the end fight is pretty meh, and I've been told the xingyi doesn't cover his center line properly at all either. I think some of the guys the hero of Tai Chi Hero fights at the end are supposed to be bagua guys, but the fight on top of the dividing walls makes it hard to really display how any style is supposed to look, in my opinion. Also, in Ip Man 2, Donnie Yen fights some kung fu masters on a table, and one I think is supposed to be bagua.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Went to see Deadpool yesterday, I can't tell what style the fighting is but for sheer violence with extreme laughs you can't beat this film! Great fun with very nice moves though I have to say Gina Carano is almost unrecognisable.
Not a family movie however. A bunch of parents took their kids in, apparently not caring about the rating, and saw a couple of them leave a third of the way through. I left to go to the bathroom at one point, and saw a lady yelling at one of the workers, even though she was the one who neglected researching if the movie was appropriate for her 6 year old.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a family movie however. A bunch of parents took their kids in, apparently not caring about the rating, and saw a couple of them leave a third of the way through. I left to go to the bathroom at one point, and saw a lady yelling at one of the workers, even though she was the one who neglected researching if the movie was appropriate for her 6 year old.

Good grief! It's very much an adult film, here it's rated 15. That means children under 15 are not allowed in to see it, no parental choice given, they just aren't allowed in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you're a parent and don't know this movie is a well deserved "hard R", there's no helping you.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well, I remember the movie that got me into martial arts as a kid...LOL... Kill and Kill Again, starring James Ryan.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After the Rain (Ame Agaru) by Akira Terao features Mugai ryu. :)

GiYu - Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
"Jack Reacher" appeared to use Jujutsu/Kobudo.
"Orgasmo" had Trey Parker doing one well correographed multiple attacker karate (I think) scene toward the beginning.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think we can make this thread twenty pages long. I'm game if anyone else is. :)

Latest Discussions