Mountain stance

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or both ;)

I was just saying, since we haven't heard of one in TKD, we can offer suggestions as to what it might mean.

Kinda like if I walked into Burger King and asked how to make Arby's Sauce ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or both ;)

I was just saying, since we haven't heard of one in TKD, we can offer suggestions as to what it might mean.

Kinda like if I walked into Burger King and asked how to make Arby's Sauce ;)

:rofl:

Try it. I'll bet the answer is "This is Burger King, not Arbys." Sort of like "This question is about TKD..." :)

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind hearing what a mountain stance in Soo Bahk Do is. No, it's not TKD, but it's a very close cousin (maybe even child, depending on your perspective) to it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick bit of Google fu shows that the first result for "Soo Bahk Do mountain stance" is the Wiki entry for SBD - which mentions a mountain block, but no stance.

The second result is... This thread.

So in going to be skeptical of the SBD claim until presented with some reputable sources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shinsundo, from which Taekwondo training principles are said by some to have been derived, features a mountain stance similar to mountain block in a horse stance. It carries the meaning of emptiness. Not TKD but tentatively related.

Gnarlie

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think the author of the thread should explain further about what he/she sees as "mountain stance", so we could give better assistence. In the meanwhile, I always welcome people who want to share their knowledge on different styles. I would probably not trust a martial art that was not related to any other. ;)

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What is "Shinsundo"?

Pax,

Chris

It's a Korean taoist-buddhist moving meditative practice based on the universal principles described in the somewhat controversial ancient Korean text, the Chun Bu Kyung. These principles are clarified in the later-but-still-ancient text Sam Il Shin Go, which describes the laws of Heaven, Earth and Man, and describes the training principles required in order to achieve ultimate enlightenment. These training methods are called Shin Sun Do, Shinsundo or Shin Sun Dao depending on where you look.

The movements of Shinsundo are relatively simple and not combative in nature, although many of the motions have quite similar names and postures to those of TKD. The philosophical meaning is much more in the foreground with Shinsundo movements, as is the relation to Samilshingo and Buddhist symbolism and particular sutras e.g. The Diamond Sutra in the case of some of the motions of Keumgang Poomsae.

The training is typically broken into three parts to make up the whole: training the body, then the mind and then the spirit, with the ultimate goal of achieving oneness.

This reflects the Black Belt poomsae: Koryo - Taebaek focus on the physical with Taebaek representing the bridge between Earth (the physical) and Heaven (the mind). Pyongwon to Jitae focus on mental development, and the final three Cheonkwon to Ilyo focus on spiritual factors. The same principles of Won, Bang, Gak (Circle, Square, Triangle, or heaven, earth and man respectively) are present throughout the stances and motions of Taekwondo and are particularly present in Poomsae (including the Taegeuk series) especially in some of the more esoteric motions.

Some say that Shinsundo is thousands of years old, and is the forerunner to all types of Korean Taoist-Buddhist practices including all types of Taekwondo, and even influenced the early spread of Yoga in India. I'm researching a book on these topics, which I'm already quite deeply engrossed in, so sorry if it seems like babble here, I'm summarising great swathes of history. It's a mission I went on with a view to gaining a deeper understanding of what Poomsae really is, and it's gotten complicated.

Gnarlie

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some say that Shinsundo is thousands of years old, and is the forerunner to all types of Korean Taoist-Buddhist practices including all types of Taekwondo, and even influenced the early spread of Yoga in India. I'm researching a book on these topics, which I'm already quite deeply engrossed in, so sorry if it seems like babble here, I'm summarising great swathes of history. It's a mission I went on with a view to gaining a deeper understanding of what Poomsae really is, and it's gotten complicated.

Gnarlie

Hmm. Can't say I agree with much of this, for a variety of reasons, but it sounds like you've found something that interests you.

Pax,

Chris

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm. Can't say I agree with much of this, for a variety of reasons, but it sounds like you've found something that interests you.

Pax,

Chris

I'm not saying I agree with it. I've kept my sources for everything I've said above, for just that reason. But it does interest me, definitely. One thing I love about Taekwondo is that the rabbit hole goes as deep as one is willing to look.

Gnarlie

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think bringing up Mountain Stance from other martial arts is relevant. Not knowing where the OP heard "mountain stance" from, and not knowing of one in TKD, it's likely someone got their arts mixed up.

That's a good point. Maybe he/she heard about it from somebody who does a different style. Or maybe they train at one of those places that calls itself "Taekwondo" for name recognition but really teaches another style, or their teacher knows some stuff from another style and throws in some of that into their TKD class?

Latest Discussions