Most obscure martial arts?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK, maybe this is a British vs American thing, but to me the terms rare and obscure are pretty similar. A little help, please...
well as above, literally it means hidden, but in context and popular usage it means not widely known about.

so Tristan da Cunha could be said to be an obscure island, liberty' island is not such,

nether are rarer than the other( they are both islands) and they are as easy or difficult as each other to find on a map

or pandas are rare, but not at all unheard of, so not obscure

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well as above, literally it means hidden, but in context and popular usage it means not widely known about.

so Tristan da Cunha could be said to be an obscure island, liberty' island is not such,

nether are rarer than the other( they are both islands) and they are as easy or difficult as each other to find on a map

or pandas are rare, but not at all unheard of, so not obscure

This is correct, obscure is hidden, rare not hidden but not plenty.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Jobo is very adept at finding obscure reasons to argue. He has a gift, alright! :p

Not so much, it's not so much that he finds obscure reasons to argue it's more that he is a polemicist.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
there quite a difference between things being obscure and things being rare or hard to find
In matters such as these, many know I usually turn to the well-worn Merriam Webster english Language Technical Manual (that's engineerpseak for "dictionary"
rolling.gif
) where we find that "obscure" has several meanings, at least one of which would be correct usage for this thread:

1a: DARK, DIMthe obscure dusk of the shuttered room
b: shrouded in or hidden by darkness standing obscure in the deepest shade
c: not clearly seen or easily distinguished : FAINTobscure markings
2: not readily understood or clearly expressed also : MYSTERIOUSa slough of pretentious and obscure jargon— Philip Howard
3: relatively unknown: such as
a: REMOTE, SECLUDEDan obscure village
b: not prominent or famousan obscure poet

Definition of OBSCURE

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In matters such as these, many know I usually turn to the well-worn Merriam Webster english Language Technical Manual (that's engineerpseak for "dictionary"
rolling.gif
) where we find that "obscure" has several meanings, at least one of which would be correct usage for this thread:

1a: DARK, DIMthe obscure dusk of the shuttered room
b: shrouded in or hidden by darkness standing obscure in the deepest shade
c: not clearly seen or easily distinguished : FAINTobscure markings
2: not readily understood or clearly expressed also : MYSTERIOUSa slough of pretentious and obscure jargon— Philip Howard
3: relatively unknown: such as
a: REMOTE, SECLUDEDan obscure village
b: not prominent or famousan obscure poet

Definition of OBSCURE
i just said that above???????

but despite your intervention, " relatively unknown" still doesnt automatically equate to rare or difficult to find, does it ? which is what i said to begin with,

Last edited:

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
i just said that above??????? ...,but despite your intervention, " relatively unknown" still doesnt equate to rare or difficult to find, does it ? which is what i said to begin with,

POLEMICIST!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i just said that above???????

but despite your intervention, " relatively unknown" still doesnt automatically equate to rare or difficult to find, does it ? which is what i said to begin with,
I don't think he was disagreeing/arguing with you.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't think he was disagreeing/arguing with you.
well yes he was, you could tell that from the fact he quoted me and then disagreed with the quote

admittedly, his level of condescension , may have obscured that some what, even more he was disagreeing with something that was selectively quoted in order that he had something to disagree with

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well yes he was, you could tell that from the fact he quoted me and then disagreed with the quote

admittedly, his level of condescension , may have obscured that some what, even more he was disagreeing with something that was selectively quoted in order that he had something to disagree with
You're right. Read through it again, had missed the " at least one of which would be correct usage for this thread:". Without that it reads like he's just giving the definition of obscure for reference.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Read through it again, had missed the " at least one of which would be correct usage for this thread:". Without that it reads like he's just giving the definition of obscure for reference.
I quoted the post that initially raised the issue, and posted the definitive answer.

That it supports his post apparently means that I'm "condescending," and arguing, because.....well.....

th

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don't know if this qualifies, but the 'Practical Method of Chen Style Taijiquan' is an offshoot of the main style and deviates significantly in Methodology.

They specialize in Stand up grappling applications of Taijiquan.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't know if this qualifies, but the 'Practical Method of Chen Style Taijiquan' is an offshoot of the main style and deviates significantly in Methodology.

They specialize in Stand up grappling applications of Taijiquan.

I would say that the main method of Chen Taiji, as practiced in Chen Village by the Chen Family, IS the practical style. It’s just that most people never get beyond a superficial understanding of the method and never see that standard practices by Chen Family include lots of application training, conditioning, impact training (heavy bags, etc.) strength training, in short, everything that any valid fight school would engage in.

But foreigners don’t tend to see this. Foreigners are viewed as tourists who are not serious about their training, so they are given superficial instruction in a form, their money is collected, and they are sent on their way with the belief that they “trained” at Chen Village, so their Taiji must be awesome. They never see what training goes on out of view of the tourists and never understand what it takes to become a skilled fighter with the method.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I would say that the main method of Chen Taiji, as practiced in Chen Village by the Chen Family, IS the practical style. It’s just that most people never get beyond a superficial understanding of the method and never see that standard practices by Chen Family include lots of application training, conditioning, impact training (heavy bags, etc.) strength training, in short, everything that any valid fight school would engage in.

But foreigners don’t tend to see this. Foreigners are viewed as tourists who are not serious about their training, so they are given superficial instruction in a form, their money is collected, and they are sent on their way with the belief that they “trained” at Chen Village, so their Taiji must be awesome. They never see what training goes on out of view of the tourists and never understand what it takes to become a skilled fighter with the method.

I was told something like this by a member of the Chen family. They tend mot to take foreigners seriously because all they want to do is go to a seminar or two, claim mastery and then go teach. This is not to say they do not have serious foreign students, they do, but it takes more than a seminar to get taken seriously

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Bajiquan is fairly rare. And what makes it even more rare is that many teachers will not just teach anyone who shows up and asks.

Another VERY rare thing to find, and have someone teacher you, is the Police\Military version of Sanda/Sanshou

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was told something like this by a member of the Chen family. They tend mot to take foreigners seriously because all they want to do is go to a seminar or two, claim mastery and then go teach. This is not to say they do not have serious foreign students, they do, but it takes more than a seminar to get taken seriously
Yes, I am sure there are exceptions to what I describe, but they are exceptions and not typical. You need to convince them that you are serious, before they will take you seriously.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, I am sure there are exceptions to what I describe, but they are exceptions and not typical. You need to convince them that you are serious, before they will take you seriously.

I've always found seminars interesting because people show up, try and learn something like Laojia Yilu in 2 days and then think they are students of the Chen family person who gave the seminar.

Don't get me wrong, seminars can be great, but it does not make you a student of the person holding the seminar

Latest Discussions