Most obscure martial arts?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've always found seminars interesting because people show up, try and learn something like Laojia Yilu in 2 days and then think they are students of the Chen family person who gave the seminar.

Don't get me wrong, seminars can be great, but it does not make you a student of the person holding the seminar
Yeah, I think they are problematic and I’m not a big fan. They can have value, but I’ve seen like you described, people learn an entire form in a weekend and then the seminar is over and they never see the teacher again. They practice an imperfectly and superficially understood form without any further guidance. If they practice it at all. I don’t see that as a worthwhile approach to learning.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I think they are problematic and I’m not a big fan. They can have value, but I’ve seen like you described, people learn an entire form in a weekend and then the seminar is over and they never see the teacher again. They practice an imperfectly and superficially understood form without any further guidance. If they practice it at all. I don’t see that as a worthwhile approach to learning.

I agree, generally, though I see 2 cases where seminars may be worthwhile (to the students, not the presenter).

One, is when the attendee is advanced in the same or related art. With their knowledge and experience, they may be able to take some concepts / techniques and put them in a helpful context and later, on their own, develop them into effective application.

Two, when the attendee is less advanced, they probably won't take much of anything specific that's usable, but the seminar may get them excited enough to later seek out true instruction.

For everyone else, maybe some good snacks, socializing, and a certificate of participation may be worth the money.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I agree, generally, though I see 2 cases where seminars may be worthwhile (to the students, not the presenter).

One, is when the attendee is advanced in the same or related art. With their knowledge and experience, they may be able to take some concepts / techniques and put them in a helpful context and later, on their own, develop them into effective application.

Two, when the attendee is less advanced, they probably won't take much of anything specific that's usable, but the seminar may get them excited enough to later seek out true instruction.

For everyone else, maybe some good snacks, socializing, and a certificate of participation may be worth the money.

The Best seminars I ever attended were push hands at YMAA, but I had already done a lot of push hands with my shifu prior. And Xingyiquan, but I already knew the form they were teaching, those were awesome seminars. There went to a few very short class (seminar) that were very good, that I technically has no experience in, Yiquan. But that comes mostly from Xingyiquan, the teacher was great and the sessions were short so there was no overload.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
people learn an entire form in a weekend ...
Which workshop do you think general people may like to take?

1. Learn a complete form (such as Yang Taiji 24 moves simple form).

2. Lean a MA principle/strategy (such as attack one leg, then attack the other leg).

Chang-foot-sweep.gif

Kou-Ti.gif

tie.gif

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

2. Lean a MA principle/strategy (such as attack one leg, then attack the other leg).

Chang-foot-sweep.gif

Kou-Ti.gif

tie.gif

Great videos of leg sweeps/takedowns. Love the tactic of the double attack on the legs. This is something I can work with.

The Tai Chi video was beautiful (went very well with the music, too.) Hypnotic. She was very smooth and controlled, and seemed to follow good biomechanics for power and application (didn't like the straight front leg in the back stance, but I have little knowledge of the art / form, so maybe not as dangerous as it looked.)

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Chang-foot-sweep.gif

Kou-Ti.gif

tie.gif
Personally, the second. But a lot of workshops sadly teach the first.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
lancashire clogg fighting, that putting on a pair of wooden soled shoes and kicking your opponent in the shin til he or you gives in or someones leg breaks.

its a bit niche, but really hard core
Don't tell me it's an actually martial art XD

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Chang-foot-sweep.gif

Kou-Ti.gif

tie.gif
I've been trying to learn these moves a long time, and seeing these gifs has encouraged me more :)

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I
Its not a martial art, but shin hitting is a sport, two peopel hold onto each other and take turns hitting each others shins with their shins.
Are you kidding me? Shin hitting is a sport?
Just imagine:
Me: Hi Bob! How are you doing?
Bob: Hi! I'm fine!
Me: Bob, did you know I have a black belt?
Bob: No you are kidding me, right?
Me: No, really!
Bob: Ok, now you're a karate master!
Me: Who said I did karate?
Bob: Oh sorry, great Taekwon Master!
Me: No, I do shin kicking!
Bob: Wait waaaaa

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Best seminars I ever attended were push hands at YMAA, but I had already done a lot of push hands with my shifu prior. And Xingyiquan, but I already knew the form they were teaching, those were awesome seminars. There went to a few very short class (seminar) that were very good, that I technically has no experience in, Yiquan. But that comes mostly from Xingyiquan, the teacher was great and the sessions were short so there was no overload.
Isn't Xingyiquan based on speed? Correct me if I'm wrong.