Most obscure martial arts?

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Its a cop out, but some people do legitimately view the lightsabre technique things as martial arts, so i would put them as obscure. As they are pretty obscure

Its not a martial art, but shin hitting is a sport, two peopel hold onto each other and take turns hitting each others shins with their shins.
Oh and that strange slapping competition! I think it was Russian? That's brutal...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Its a cop out, but some people do legitimately view the lightsabre technique things as martial arts, so i would put them as obscure. As they are pretty obscure

Its not a martial art, but shin hitting is a sport, two peopel hold onto each other and take turns hitting each others shins with their shins.
im not sure that viewing a fighting technque for a non exsistant weapon as legitimate counts as legitimate

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll mention two. My primary art (Nihon Goshin Aikido) is obscure compared to many others. At its height, there were probably fewer than 80 schools. Not tiny, but pretty obscure compared to Ueshiba’s Aikido, for instance.

And for a more obscure art, I had a chance to attend a seminar in Yanagi-Ryu Aiki Bugei. If the origins I heard are accurate, it was once a family style. I think the Soke (actually the appropriate title for an inherited style, I think) never had more than a few students at a time.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll mention two. My primary art (Nihon Goshin Aikido) is obscure compared to many others. At its height, there were probably fewer than 80 schools. Not tiny, but pretty obscure compared to Ueshiba’s Aikido, for instance.

And for a more obscure art, I had a chance to attend a seminar in Yanagi-Ryu Aiki Bugei. If the origins I heard are accurate, it was once a family style. I think the Soke (actually the appropriate title for an inherited style, I think) never had more than a few students at a time.

As a New Yorker, Nihon Goshin Aikido is not so obscure to me. I met Robert MacEwen sensei at many events over the years.

Likewise, the Yanagi family style of Don Angier Soke lives on through more than one of his students, who began teaching while he was still alive and changed the name of what they taught at his behest-at least, that's my understanding....at least one of them was a member of this forum once upon a time....

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was in Japan, I saw something called taido.

I've often argued that it's martiaal performance art, but here ypu go.

Taido looks awesome haha.. although have seen better video examples.. the ones really good at it have incredible body control and can generate crazy amount of power with some of those kicks... seems like such a dynamic martial art, aLOT of movement almost a mix of karate and capoeira..

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hawaiian Lua - not the most obscure art... but not many people have heard of it. It was a huge influence on Danzan Ryu Jujitsu.

I have trained with Kumu Manu a few times...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a New Yorker, Nihon Goshin Aikido is not so obscure to me. I met Robert MacEwen sensei at many events over the years.

Likewise, the Yanagi family style of Don Angier Soke lives on through more than one of his students, who began teaching while he was still alive and changed the name of what they taught at his behest-at least, that's my understanding....at least one of them was a member of this forum once upon a time....
New York is certainly the epicenter for NGA. At one time, I think 2/3 of the schools were within 2-3 hours of Manhattan.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh and there's an obscure one I recently heard about called I-Kan-Do. I hear it's a really positive martial art!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm sure we have all come across self-started MA's that could be considered "obscure".

Are we defining it as styles no one has heard of, or styles that aren't widely spread? I think there are many Chinese arts that fall into that category and many Japanese koryu arts as well.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing I wanted to try when I was getting into martial arts was Baguazhang. It's an art built around movement in circles. I was initially looking into martial arts as a way to defend an initial attack enough to draw my gun, and so I wanted an art built on escaping footwork.

There was, of course, nothing in my area. So I picked Taekwondo since I had prior experience as a kid. Interestingly enough, the Hapkido covers the footwork I wanted. At some point I'd like to combine Hapkido with Gun Fu for a very specific self-defense system.
I think that martial art is used in the Ip Man fight scene where he fights all the masters on a big round table.

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure we have all come across self-started MA's that could be considered "obscure".

Are we defining it as styles no one has heard of, or styles that aren't widely spread? I think there are many Chinese arts that fall into that category and many Japanese koryu arts as well.
I guess both. In hindsight, obscure is quite a relative term.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that martial art is used in the Ip Man fight scene where he fights all the masters on a big round table.

Maybe. Circular footwork is found in a lot of arts, not even specific to Chinese arts.

Latest Discussions