Most effective striking arts in your opinions

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very interesting. Generally, most people that try Kyokushin style sparring for the first time START with the intention of going light but generally, if they are both new to it), the temperature rises pretty quickly ;). This was obviously not the case for you and the person you were sparring with so I commend you on your restraint.
I’ve been doing martial arts for about 37 years and hard-contact sparring for at least 25 years, so I’m used to adjusting the intensity as needed. My sparring partner was a Kyokushin instructor, so I trusted him to be able to do the same.

It was actually less intimidating than I expected. Not having punches coming towards my face helped me to relax quite a bit.

If I have the chance to do it again I’d like to work up towards true full contact, but I’d really need to work on my core strength and conditioning. I’ve gotten really out of shape over the last year and my goal for 2019 is to get back to the point where I can do stuff like that without getting hurt.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very interesting. Generally, most people that try Kyokushin style sparring for the first time START with the intention of going light but generally, if they are both new to it), the temperature rises pretty quickly ;). This was obviously not the case for you and the person you were sparring with so I commend you on your restraint.
Tony’s been around the block a few times. He’s done quite a bit of contact. For a newbie, yup, they start out intending to go light but ramp it up too high pretty quickly. I’ve seen it quite a bit. For a guy who’s boxed, Muay Thai’ed, etc, there’s that level of control regardless of if it’s your first time in tat particular style of sparring or not.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve been doing martial arts for about 37 years and hard-contact sparring for at least 25 years, so I’m used to adjusting the intensity as needed. My sparring partner was a Kyokushin instructor, so I trusted him to be able to do the same.

It was actually less intimidating than I expected. Not having punches coming towards my face helped me to relax quite a bit.

If I have the chance to do it again I’d like to work up towards true full contact, but I’d really need to work on my core strength and conditioning. I’ve gotten really out of shape over the last year and my goal for 2019 is to get back to the point where I can do stuff like that without getting hurt.
Tony’s been around the block a few times. He’s done quite a bit of contact. For a newbie, yup, they start out intending to go light but ramp it up too high pretty quickly. I’ve seen it quite a bit. For a guy who’s boxed, Muay Thai’ed, etc, there’s that level of control regardless of if it’s your first time in tat particular style of sparring or not.
Osu, ok, didn't want to assume anything. If you are used to proper hard sparring then yes I agree that experience is transferable.

Latest Discussions