more questions for the experenced

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How has your teaching changed from when you started to today?

Do you still require the same physical training you once did?
Have you lessened your requirements or increased them for each rank?
Have you brought new ideas or incorporated new techniques from outside of your system or what you where first trained in

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a larger variety of methods for teaching techniques; some come from things my sahbum does when I work out in his class; some come from trial and error; some come from teaching school - after 17 years as a TKD instructor and 14 as a school teacher, it's hard to say which ideas on differentiation came from where - but I do think that each one brings its own strengths to the others.

Yes, but not the way you're probably thinking. I have always required that each person perform at their personal best - and that's different for each person.

If you mean me personally, no - I use the syllabus set out by my association; when our association was founded 10 years ago, additional requirements were added at each rank, but while I have added things for individual students, or reduced them (I have a couple of adult students with development delays, one with cerebral palsy - their requirements are more individualized than most), any changes are based on the needs and abilities of the students; the general requirements stay the same.

Have you brought new ideas or incorporated new techniques from outside of your system or what you where first trained in
Yes - much of our hol-sin-sul requirements come from Hapkido, and other items come from various sources as they come up. The base art remains the same - but as I learn things that complement what I'm already doing, I add them in.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a better since of how to train each person.

Yes but I am also willing to make a compomized if someone is un able physically to do certain things.

I have done more in the way of making sure the students understand everything. Like the true meaning behind each techniques not just the techs.

Yes I have learned from the very beginning that every Art can offer something from everyone.

championmarius

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

I would say that my training style has done so many 180s that it could classify as a gyroscope... Right now, I feel most comfortable with a very relaxed improvised structure. I start with something and let it go where it will, what folks ask, what situations present itself etc. No session is ever the same twice.
I set out from the get go that the art conforms to the body, not the other way 'round, so I guess yeah, its the same requirements (meh?) as it was.
The group I work with is a really informal group, so we don't maintain rankings or a hierarchy, everyone learns from everyone else. So it would be fair to say that I have utterly lessened the requirements for each rank... in a way.
The goal of the group is just that, to bring in new ideas and expand our circle of knowledge, I have added so much to the Kenpo, that it may seem only superficially Kenpo at first glance. And it changes more each day, as do we... The arts are liquid, ever evolving, in constant flux. :lol:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

When I first started teaching I tried to explain everything i knew about each technique as I taught it and, in effect, overloaded the students with information they didn't need and/or couldn't understand at their level. Today I give them the basics, let the m get close to what I'm looking for, polish it up over time. I also have a better understanding of the art and am better at communicating that understanding.

Since most of my time is spent teaching I don't gt the same amount of physical trianing I once did, but when I do train I concentrate on the basics, and making everything more efficient. I miss the trianing I was abel to do at one time, but probably don't need it as much.

Increased them, my students at each rank are better than I was at the same rank. I think that's the way it should be.

Absolutely, an martial art is like a living organism, it adapts or dies.

OP
tshadowchaser

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I first started teaching I tried to explain everything i knew about each technique as I taught it and, in effect, overloaded the students with information they didn't need and/or couldn't understand at their level. Today I give them the basics, let the m get close to what I'm looking for, polish it up over time.

I think this may be a mistake that many of us have made and then corrected over the years

Latest Discussions