More clarification required

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't understand where this is coming from. I won't speak for the MoTTs, but I don't recall ever saying this.

The MoTTs (Masters of Tapi-Tapi) and the WMAA (World Modern Arnis Alliance) leaderships were adamant that anyone not associated with their respective groups were not even considered as being Modern Arnis Players, unless those people joined their groups and retested for the rank grades that were earned under Professor Presas.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Been years since I was involved in this stuff, and I've flushed a lot from memory. I recall a few people way back saying that Delaney was requiring a retest to have rank recognized, even rank awarded by Remy. I vaguely recall seeing it in writing, I think on his website, but memory is hazy. I don't recall a retest for current rank recognition ever being a condition with the WMAA though I do remember a few people (Dan Anderson being one) who were asked to test/demo for a promotion. As to the MOTT's, I don't recall retests for acknowledgement ever being mentioned in regards to them. MARPPIO may also have a retest requirement as I think I recall it was mentioned. Again, dusty memory here

ok, was bored.
As of January 1, 2001 all Rank Certificates must bear the signatures of Co-Grandmasters Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea.
Affiliated Schools only can award rank through Green Belt if rank fees are paid to the IMAF and certificates are issued directly by the IMAF. Rank of Brown Belt and above can only be awarded at Summer or Winter training camps and Certificates will be issued by the IMAF bearing the signatures of Co-Grandmasters Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea. Certificates awarded by organizations other than the IMAF and not bearing the signatures of Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea will not be considered valid.
modernarnis.com April 2001

As of January 1, 2001 all Rank Certificates must bear the signatures of Co-Grandmasters Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea and an IMAF Certificate Number..
Affiliated Schools only can award rank through Green Belt if rank fees are paid to the IMAF and numbered certificates are issued directly by the IMAF. Rank of Brown Belt and above can only be awarded at Summer or Winter training camps and Certificates will be issued by the IMAF bearing the signatures of Co-Grandmasters Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea. Certificates awarded by organizations other than the IMAF and not bearing the signatures of Jeff Delaney or Dr. Randi Schea and an IMAF certificate number will not be considered valid. To test for Rank of Brown Belt or above you must be a current member of the IMAF.
August 2001

and current version on Jeff's site http://www.professorpresas.com/Ranking.htm
As of January 1, 2001 all Rank Certificates must bear the signature of Grandmaster Jeff Delaney and include an IMAF Certificate Number..
Affiliated Schools only can award rank through Green Belt if rank fees are paid to the IMAF and numbered certificates are issued directly by the IMAF. Rank of Brown Belt and above can only be awarded at Summer or Winter training camps and Certificates will be issued by the IMAF bearing the signatures of Grandmaster Jeff Delaney and at least one other member of th I. M. A. F. Board of Directors. Certificates awarded by organizations other than the I.M.A.F. and not bearing the signature of Jeff Delaney and an IMAF certificate number will not be considered valid. To test for Rank of Brown Belt or above you must be a current member of the I.M.A.F.

James Miller

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some do and others don't. None of mine have experation dates on them.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There was an expiration date on some certificates from what I recall.

Some do and others don't. None of mine have experation dates on them.

That's my recollection too. Some did, some didn't, and if there was a pattern I don't know what it was. I think one of my lakan levels had an expiry date and another didn't but I can't recall for sure.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't understand where this is coming from. I won't speak for the MoTTs, but I don't recall ever saying this. The MoTTs (Masters of Tapi-Tapi) and the WMAA (World Modern Arnis Alliance) leaderships were adamant that anyone not associated with their respective groups were not even considered as being Modern Arnis Players, unless those people joined their groups and retested for the rank grades that were earned under Professor Presas.

Since my illustrious name was brought up I will add my wisdom to this thread.

1. Tim has never not recognized either my rank or my being a Modern Arnis player. This is before my very brief stint with WMAA and fully after.

2. IMAF has never not recognized either my rank or my being a Modern Arnis player. Despite my not being an active member of IMAF for many years, I have been treated with respect as a fellow RP student and Modern Arnis colleague. Some of the leaders I am closer to than others but that is only because of personal interaction and NOT because of organizational affiliation. An interesting aside, in a MT thread, David Hoffman (the forgotten Datu) stated that IMAF had never considered me not a member.

3. The retest issue came from Remy P. Presas Jr. He was doing a seminar up in Bellingham, Washington at Myrlino Hufana's school. I went to pay my respects to him and the other kids. During dinner I asked him about if someone joined MARPPIO who had already had rank from his father, would they recognize that rank. He told me that anyone joining MARPPIO who had a certificate of rank from his dad (remember him, the founder of Modern Arnis?), would have their rank honored as an honorary rank until they came up to MARPPIO's standards. Cute little guy. I remember watching him teach and demo and saw that the son was not the father...not even close. Rodel Dagooc, however, was lightning fast and very explosive. he was the main stick at that seminar. Anyway, being the swell fellow that I am, I refrained from any reaction that would be considered outwardly negative, merely acknowledged his statement, and continued with dinner. Honest folks, that is what happened.

Yerf, I say.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Thank. All I can say is wow to that statement. While I recall it may be true for the Jeff Delaney group, it is not true of the group of Masters of Tapi Tapi that I'm with. In fact, I've not heard them discuss this issue for YEARS and probably for an entire decade.

This also caught my eye: "Equally important is the fact that these group leaders were equally, if not more disdainful of GM Atillo." If "these group leaders" that Dr. Barber was referring to includes the MoTTs, he must have had a special insight into the MoTTs' thinking. To the best of my recollection, there has not been a discussion among them about GM Atillo.

Regards,
Brian Johns

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Isn't this the same person and even the same blog post being discussed in another thread? Why not keep it all together?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO, it's a separate issue (rank retesting in arnis) and combining them would muddy the other (who founded balintawak/etc).

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank. All I can say is wow to that statement. While I recall it may be true for the Jeff Delaney group, it is not true of the group of Masters of Tapi Tapi that I'm with. In fact, I've not heard them discuss this issue for YEARS and probably for an entire decade.

This also caught my eye: "Equally important is the fact that these group leaders were equally, if not more disdainful of GM Atillo." If "these group leaders" that Dr. Barber was referring to includes the MoTTs, he must have had a special insight into the MoTTs' thinking. To the best of my recollection, there has not been a discussion among them about GM Atillo.

Regards,
Brian Johns

Everyone has their own perception of reality. Some more off base than others.

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
I received a private email from a certain individual. I do not see why it was taken private and think that it could have been discussed publicly.

My answer is as follows:

The matter is not closed.

You conceded that any statement regarding rank made by Jeff Delaney or Dr. Schea occurred 11 or 12 years ago. I do not see the relevance of that issue to the recent promotion by GM Ising of a number of people. I congratulate them.

Secondly, the message ignored my statement regarding this: "Equally important is the fact that these group leaders were equally, if not more disdainful of GM Atillo."

I pointed out that none of the MoTTs had ever mentioned GM Atillo, to the best of my memory. On what basis is this statement made?

Regards,
Brian Johns

OP
Datu Tim Hartman

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I’m not sure what Jerome’s talking about with Atillo. I get along with him fairly well. We’ve talked many times on the phone, I’ve offered the use of my school if he ever wanted to teach a seminar here in Buffalo. We’re FB friends and I was supposed to teach with him last year at Prof Bates’ camp, unfortunately he had to back out due to a schedule conflict with a family function. We did have a disagreement about 8 – 9 years ago, but if that was still an issue we wouldn’t have agree to teach with each other last year.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'ts from Jerome Barber. You can find it here Brian.

http://seasian-martialarts.blogspot.com/

LOL...well, that says it all!

For the time that I've been a part of the IMAF Inc. and training with Brian Z., I've never heard or seen any such thing. I'd imagine that, just like any org., if you join, your rank will still be acknowledged, but you'll have to now transition to the way that group does things.

Latest Discussions