How many moves in your dummy form?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In my lineage(LT), our dummy form consists of 116 movements. I had heard that YM's original dummy form consisted of 140 movements.
At various times he condensed it down to 120, 108 and our version which again is 116. How many movements are in your dummy form?

JPinAZ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Only 1. One move, one kill
Direct and maximally efficient - that's about as WC as it gets! :p

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In my lineage(LT), our dummy form consists of 116 movements. I had heard that YM's original dummy form consisted of 140 movements.
At various times he condensed it down to 120, 108 and our version which again is 116. How many movements are in your dummy form?

Hi Yak.
Guess it depends on how one counts the movements(?) And are you counting one side only? etc?

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't really know or care what the exact number of movements ours is, but it's the Leung Sheung version which has 10 sections, each of them being mirrored, so I guess it's probably longer than the standard which from what I understand is 108 or 116 movements over 7 sections.

Either way, the importance is in application rather than the number of moves. I'd rather learn from a teacher who had a form of 10 moves that went very deeply with them versus one who had a form of like 500 but didn't know what any of them were for.

Last edited:
Reactions: KPM
OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi Yak.
Guess it depends on how one counts the movements(?) And are you counting one side only? etc?

That's considered for the entire form on both sides. I have heard that you count the movements by counting the sounds

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's considered for the entire form on both sides. I have heard that you count the movements by counting the sounds

Hmmmm....kinda curious now...methinks I'll have to count the sounds of my form.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Number of movements is really unimportant, what one is doing within the movement is far more so. I had to go through the form and count them. 161 - counting every movement. Just remember some moves are actually combined in application. For instance we count every bong as a separate movement when in reality the bong would simply be a transitional action into the following position. Move of a half beat motion but in the form is a single beat.

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've failed miserably at counting moves in any form, there are so many very small, but very important things, I never know what should and shouldn't count in this game.

Let's say 108

It's a good, happy answer.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Ok, curiosity got the best of me...just counted the "sounds"... 252

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Infinite number of moves in Pin Sun dummy! ;-) Really, there is no static form in Pin Sun. Each short set has an application on the dummy. You practice them individually over and over...repeat the section as many times as you want. Then you can blend the sections together or mix and match. In Pin Sun, once you learn the movement in the short sets well you are encouraged to "free-lance" on the dummy. So in Pin Sun, using the dummy is very much like shadowboxing.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Infinite number of moves in Pin Sun dummy! ;-) Really, there is no static form in Pin Sun. Each short set has an application on the dummy. You practice them individually over and over...repeat the section as many times as you want. Then you can blend the sections together or mix and match. In Pin Sun, once you learn the movement in the short sets well you are encouraged to "free-lance" on the dummy. So in Pin Sun, using the dummy is very much like shadowboxing.

IMO this is how the dummy should be trained even if you also have a set form (as in the branch I study).

Reactions: KPM

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

I'm not sure how many movements are in my dummy form..I've never count it but the form itself is broken into 10 sections. ..originally there was 12 when I learnt it but I took out two sections.as I feel it was to repetitive.

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Know Form, Understand Form, Move beyond Form. Should be applied to all form/s.

Agreed! That is the journey.... but Yak was asking about how many moves or sounds so ....

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed! That is the journey.... but Yak was asking about how many moves or sounds so ....
"so..."
Uh... I responded in post # 7 about the count we do in the branch I train.

In this particular post I was agreeing with KPM and geezer with their posts #14 & #15.

Latest Discussions