Monitor(s)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok experts in the field, it looks like my current monitor is having some problems.

What should be my next monitor and why?

Thanks (* I am looking forward to learning *)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of those questions where "What is it for?" is very important.

If it's just for the Net and general document creation/reading almost any 19"ish LCD monitor will do fine. They're very cheap and universally available.

For gaming, ah, there the answer is not so simple.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is one of those questions where "What is it for?" is very important.

If it's just for the Net and general document creation/reading almost any 19"ish LCD monitor will do fine. They're very cheap and universally available.

For gaming, ah, there the answer is not so simple.

Well I no longer seem to have the time to game as most of the cool games require 4 hour raids or hunts or missions and now they are longer, I hear. Plus all the prep to get to be able to do it and the waiting for people to show up and the whining when people have to leave "early" 5 + hours into an event.

I would say I am Net browsing and document review mostly and maybe a game, but nothing serious.

Why 19" and not bigger? Cost? Room? Quality?

Thanks

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Rich, the 19"ish was purely based upon 'workstation' space requirements. If you have room for bigger then by all means buy bigger - the costs are not that much of a factor anymore. My monitor was chosen because it fits in the gap between my left hand speaker and my scanner :eek:.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
$40.
I have, and am staring at now, a 19" Hitachi monitor I bought for $40. I've had it three years, it works great, and would look a lot better if I dusted more often...

Where did I find this awesome buy? Big Box store sale? "Fell off a truck" deal? No!
The Thrift Store!
Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!

Of course, you could run out and buy a brand new monitor for a couple of hundred bucks... Or, you could hit a few thrift shops and spend more money on other things.
The ONLY problem I have had with it: It took me a couple of days to adjust from the 15" I had had before.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have dual monitors. One old crt and a lcd 19" widescreen. cost are working themselves down. Most monitors out there will be fine for browsing the net, documents etc. When you get into using it as a tv or gaming or video applications you may need a bigger budget item.

Now this monitor is cool... but way past what you need.... http://pages.samsung.com/us/revolutionary/?INT=us_home_c2r3contents_monitort220toc

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For browsing, word processing, and light gaming, I'd go with a 19" LCD. You could probably go with any of the major brands and be happy. Check New Egg, Tiger Direct, et al. for pricing.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have dual monitors. One old crt and a lcd 19" widescreen. cost are working themselves down. Most monitors out there will be fine for browsing the net, documents etc. When you get into using it as a tv or gaming or video applications you may need a bigger budget item.

Now this monitor is cool... but way past what you need.... http://pages.samsung.com/us/revolutionary/?INT=us_home_c2r3contents_monitort220toc

Actually in my search, that is one that I was able to find some of the most information about. :)

It is more than I will need, I agree. :D

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For browsing, word processing, and light gaming, I'd go with a 19" LCD. You could probably go with any of the major brands and be happy. Check New Egg, Tiger Direct, et al. for pricing.

I have been talked into waiting for the Black Friday and the sales then.

I like New Egg, but will continue to cehck out the others as well.

Thanks

Latest Discussions