Anyone use a "Herman" monitor yet?

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just got some promotional material about a new trainign product called :

HERMAN - Digital Interactive Training Partner

Anyone use one yet? Looks like you can hook it up to existing training bags and monitor speed and strength.

Thanks.

Attachments

• $herman.jpg
    $herman.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 191

beau_safken

Black Belt
Reaction score
IS that like a PSI meter or something? Now All I can think of is Tommy kicking that pad with that dude with glasses in Best of the Best.

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
beau_safken said:
IS that like a PSI meter or something? Now All I can think of is Tommy kicking that pad with that dude with glasses in Best of the Best.

Lol! Looks like it monitors impact and speed.

Aqua4ever

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it in the Century catalogue and thought it look'd cool but maybe gimmicky? I'm hopign someone can confirm/deny!

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't seen it until now. Sounds interesting- neat to know how powerful kicks and punches are...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There used to be a similiar thing in the 80's. (Even before "The Best of the Best") They were connected to kicking shields. I hope the technology has improved since then.:)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I have the old "century bags" with an "air power" measuring device..breaks all the time.

The whole class loves to punch them because there is a numbers that can be seen and can be compare to others punching the bags. Great device for class training, kids get excited. Everyone wants to out do the others.

This "Herman monitor" ...if it doesn't break all the? What is the cost ?..( is it $299.00? )

Just my thoughts on this....get one...makes training fun.....Aloha

OP
HKphooey

HKphooey

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen the monitor, alone, for $99 and hooks up to any bag.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have used it. GLSDA (Banner on the gun forum) is currently doing research projects with it, so I don't want to say too much to take away from the write ups that they will do.

But, I will say that it is cool as a training tool. The reason is because it inspires you to hit harder with your pad work because you want to try to beat your last "score" so to speak.

As far as a tool to accurately measure the trauma potential for strikes, I am not sure that it is that accurate.

First off, it measures G force, not force per area (square inch). Truama potential of strikes has just as much to do with (if not more to do with) force per spuare inch as it does G force. Plus G force can be effected by the type of bag you attach it too, how and much swing the bag has, as well as many other variables. So, a push hit with a palm could register more then a hit with a stick, for example, even though the hit with the stick creates more trauma due to a high force of impact per area. So, it is difficult to get an accurate reading of how hard one is actually hitting. You won't get a very good comparison between individuals (meaning, who hits harder, this guy or that guy) or between strikes (like palm vs. punch), and there are too many variables as far as it goes for getting an accurate reading.

However, as a training tool it isn't too bad, just as long as your going for a comparison of data (meaning, did I hit with more G force this time vs. last time) rather then completely accurate information.

Paul

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
IcemanSK said:
There used to be a similar thing in the 80's. (Even before "The Best of the Best") They were connected to kicking shields. I hope the technology has improved since then.:)

I remember that one. Only this is more accurate and it's interactive. It will take an average and push you a bit, kind of like a personal trainer. It even grades the technique. $99 is retail I believe wholesale is around $60.....

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just got mine and it seems to work well. It is nice at least getting an idea of your speed and power. My issue is I wish it measured in pounds per square inch and not in g-force.

Latest Discussions