MMA is the most traditional martial art

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't get much older than African traditions.
Dambe fighting is the oldest fighting tradition I've seen and know of that is still around today.

Ironically the brutality of the MMA has made many of the traditional fighting arts more popular. It took away the image that "fighting is barbaric." I thank BJJ for that. and the UFC for push through when it was getting labeled as being barbaric. People now see the money in it so there's less resistance.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dambe fighting is the oldest fighting tradition I've seen and know of that is still around today.

Ironically the brutality of the MMA has made many of the traditional fighting arts more popular. It took away the image that "fighting is barbaric." I thank BJJ for that. and the UFC for push through when it was getting labeled as being barbaric. People now see the money in it so there's less resistance.
Yeah there are a slew of old arts captured in ancient African art.

Kemetian Lotus (which I think Dambe and maybe Zulu stickfighting are descendants of) is about 5,000 years old. Nubian wrestling (still done today) just a little younger.

1668967828360.png

Good documentary

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can't get much older than African traditions.
Sure you can. It's just not written down. The earliest Martial Art started when Ogg taught Erg that using a good strong stick would help kill that animal faster. The earliest example of MMA was when Erg then learned from Rarg that a rock could do the same thing, but at a short distance.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure you can. It's just not written down. The earliest Martial Art started when Ogg taught Erg that using a good strong stick would help kill that animal faster. The earliest example of MMA was when Erg then learned from Rarg that a rock could do the same thing, but at a short distance.
That was funny.

Makes me wonder, prehistoric traditions? Hmm. Oral histories told by fire, drawn on cave walls. I think that counts.

Early homo sapiens must have been MMA masters!

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hear vale tudo is 3000 years old.
The only question I have there is whether it was more indigenous to the Amazon river valley (8000+ year old human artifacts found there) or more influenced by the Portuguese invasion, since we know how heavily that affected other SA art forms. We know native tribes trained, sparred, and battled, and that 16th century South America was a pretty brutal place compared to Portugal.

Curious what early Vale Tudo circus fights even looked like...never saw one.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score

Very true. Then as people started to gather together for protection and sharing labor/resources into tribes they started sharing what worked with each other. As those tribes evolved into cities, the tradition continued of sharing fighting traditions.

I'm pretty sure that all cultures that didn't even have interactions with each other had striking/grappling systems in place. Most cultures would have been oral tradition and passed on in that manner. It wasn't until later that people started to document their history in some fashion.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The only question I have there is whether it was more indigenous to the Amazon river valley (8000+ year old human artifacts found there) or more influenced by the Portuguese invasion, since we know how heavily that affected other SA art forms. We know native tribes trained, sparred, and battled, and that 16th century South America was a pretty brutal place compared to Portugal.

Curious what early Vale Tudo circus fights even looked like...never saw one.
No. I’m 100% confident it’s pankration. Vale Tudo is pankration. Pankration is vale tudo.

Denoaikido

Green Belt
Reaction score
We all have to remember no martial art or artist is perfect the main reason that is is because some moves might work better for other body types and situations every art lacks things and every art has things that you can use even MMA as quite a rule set to follow by these days now the first ufcs that was different that was really style verse style and almost anything goes but nowadays there's plenty of rules to follow by where some martial arts might not look as great as others in an MMA setting due to the rule factors this is just my opinion and that's not to say MMA isn't probably the most effective style of martial arts if you want to call it that

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We all have to remember no martial art or artist is perfect the main reason that is is because some moves might work better for other body types and situations every art lacks things and every art has things that you can use even MMA as quite a rule set to follow by these days now the first ufcs that was different that was really style verse style and almost anything goes but nowadays there's plenty of rules to follow by where some martial arts might not look as great as others in an MMA setting due to the rule factors this is just my opinion and that's not to say MMA isn't probably the most effective style of martial arts if you want to call it that
Are you talking about disabling someone or putting their lights out?

windwalker099

Green Belt
Reaction score
Traditionally, most combat arts codified into martial arts were weapons based or taught weapons usage
with the methods themselves not public....nor shared with outsiders....
considered as part of the combat technology of their time.

some thoughts 🤔

Last edited:

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score

Not sure this will go through but I've seen a bunch of system videos, and have seen it get picked apart mercilessly. Buyer beware.

Latest Discussions