MMA is the most traditional martial art

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The goal of the traditional CMA is to train weapon fight. You start with open hand training. You then move into weapon training.

dagger -> staff -> single edge knife -> double edges sword -> spear -> Guan Dao -> ...

One of my favor jokes is:

A MMA girl challenged a CMA girl. During the challenge day, the MMA girl brought her boxing gloves. The CMA girl brought her Guan Dao.

This is why I drive to MMA.

See if I get challenged. I will run the guy over in the car park. And prove MMA is better.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
The goal of the traditional CMA is to train weapon fight. You start with open hand training. You then move into weapon training.

dagger -> staff -> single edge knife -> double edges sword -> spear -> Guan Dao -> ...

Which is ironic, isn't it.

Empty hand methods, you are basically at a chimps mercy, but with the right instrument...yet they developed in reverse. Weapons came first, then empty handed sets.

Or did they?

There's an old Chinese legend about the "Fragrant Sword" being the most powerful magical weapon a mortal can find. I forget which Classic it was in, but the metaphor is obvious to me now.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wonder what's the MMA solution on this?

By the way from my limited understanding. You can't fight well in ranks with big two handed swords because you can't use them packed together.

Even though the big two handed swords will smoke a guy one on one.

So if you have 20 guys and they have 20 guys. The guys with the shorter swords will ha e the advantage as they have tighter packed ranks.

So when we suggest the military might of, whatever. We need to factor in that individually they might not be all that effective. It is things like weight of numbers that matter.

Which is what I think they are showing there.

And the MMA solution is the same.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way from my limited understanding. You can't fight well in ranks with big two handed swords because you can't use them packed together.
Packed together means a really good target for archers.
Even though the big two handed swords will smoke a guy one on one.
Simply not true. They're slow. Because physics. Just move inside their range. One on one, individual skill and tactics are far more important than what blade you're holding.
So if you have 20 guys and they have 20 guys. The guys with the shorter swords will ha e the advantage as they have tighter packed ranks.
Give your 20 guys longbows. Give 10 of your guys longbows, even. Unless those 20 shortsword guys can teleport...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I am not criticizing people practice Lion Dance, but when they start talking about how they use this move to defeat other style, then they put themselves mix in with other MA
I've never heard a person who does lion dance to such things. lion dance and fighting are two very different things.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i Disagree I think MMA was always there, just people didn’t talk about it until tv made it popular again, just cause it didn’t have a governing body, licence fees, belt progress etc. but even if we say it started in the 90s how long until it’s tarditiona, do we need belts and gratings first
You think it was continuing nonstop from the ancient greeks until the 90s? Do you have any evidence whatsoever to back up that claim?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Simply not true. They're slow. Because physics. Just move inside their range. One on one, individual skill and tactics are far more important than what blade you're holding.

They are not slow because physics. The pommels are weighted so the blade moves faster. And they move backwards after attacking so the counter attacker has more distance to cover to get inside.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Traditional Martial arts don't work yet MMA constantly uses techniques from traditional martial arts.

The one thing that I notice about traditional martial arts is that those who think it's useless are often those who don't MMA nor traditional martial arts. I also find it entertaining that Mma fighters are the same guys that are showing the world that traditional martial arts techniques work.

For the traditional martial artist.. I can only recommend to stop riding on the fighting skills of the founders. My of the founders trained through fighting. History is good to remember but it's up to the next generation build their own fighting legends no matter how big or small

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This short guy used TMA technique "inner hook" to take his opponent down over and over. Why this technique is not used in MMA?

- MMA guys don't train this technique?
- This technique is not effective?

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This short guy used TMA technique "inner hook" to take his opponent down over and over. Why this technique is not used in MMA?

- MMA guys don't train this technique?
- This technique is not effective?

That was a failed outer hook.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't understand what makes an art traditional. I know that topics been done to death, but i still don't see what the difference is. Is it kata? It feels like kata.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I really don't understand what makes an art traditional. I know that topics been done to death, but i still don't see what the difference is. Is it kata? It feels like kata.
My personal definition is that it is about priorities. If it’s more important to do it the same way your instructor did it, it’s traditional. If it’s more important that it works for you, it’s not traditional. Not that it can’t be both. Just a matter of priorities. Push comes to shove, which one is more important?

Latest Discussions