Missing gradings?

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've missed 2 gradings now out of 3 (I've done them eventually but I've missed the, the first time) due to a wedding which was in York so I had to stay overnight and I was genuinely really ill the other time. Do you think my sensei thinks I'm trying to avoid the gradings? Although because I've had to spend another 6 months training on the same belt, I'm a pretty good green belt compared to the others so I suppose it's not all bad.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Have you asked him?

That happened to me in TKD under Jhoon Goo Rhee, and I never got beyone 8th Green. But Mr. Rhee did finally let me start learning the next set of forms. He seemed to understand my being the the military preventing me from testing. There were no makeups. You came for tests or waited for the next one. It didn't then nor does it now occur to me that he might have thought I was skipping on purpose. I certainly wasn't.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've missed 2 gradings now out of 3 (I've done them eventually but I've missed the, the first time) due to a wedding which was in York so I had to stay overnight and I was genuinely really ill the other time. Do you think my sensei thinks I'm trying to avoid the gradings? Although because I've had to spend another 6 months training on the same belt, I'm a pretty good green belt compared to the others so I suppose it's not all bad.

I dont know...I dont know your instructor. Is it safe to assume that you at least told them that you wouldn't be around for the test? Or did you just not show up?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just keep training, it will all work out.

OP
Grasshopper22

Grasshopper22

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I dont know...I dont know your instructor. Is it safe to assume that you at least told them that you wouldn't be around for the test? Or did you just not show up?
When I was at the wedding, I let him know before-hand that I wouldn't be able to make it but when I was ill, I didn't as I woke up that morning and was really ill so I had no way of knowing I would have been ill before-hand.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I was at the wedding, I let him know before-hand that I wouldn't be able to make it but when I was ill, I didn't as I woke up that morning and was really ill so I had no way of knowing I would have been ill before-hand.

Like I said, only you can know for sure, whether or not your inst. was upset. Did they say anything to you? As for being sick...well of course, sure, its possible for someone to wake up and feel sick. Was it possible for you to give him a quick call?

My suggestion, if you're as concerned as you seem, would be to sit down with him, privately and explain things.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been in the same boat since I started training again. Normally our primary testing dates usual fall on my reserve weekends so I have normally had to make up the testing on an alternate date. I've missed the last 3 primary and alternate testings due to my reserve commitment, but my instructor is former military himself so he totally understands. I just keep plugging away with my training and eventually the time will come where everything lines up and I can attend a testing.

Latest Discussions