mirrors

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello just want to get other peoples thought on this.
Does your school have mirrors? if so how much do you use them?

also where do u get mirrors at a good price? cause i may get 2 if i open my own place soon

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My teacher loves the mirrors when he is demonstrating a form.

He has us stand to the left and right of him facing the mirrors. Then we mimic his form. We can see our selves in the mirrors for self correcting, and he can also see us in the mirrors to his side to make sure everyone is going through the proper motions.

I have trained in places with and without them. They are a really nice addition, but not a requirement.

Oh, I guess I need to add that this is from a students perception. As a teacher I guess it would depend on your style of teaching.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Loark, thanks yes i have been to dojo's with and with out them there nice but i have also seen when people are sparring and slammed in to them and when they break and kinda pricey to get new ones

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

also where do u get mirrors at a good price? cause i may get 2 if i open my own place soon

I have mirrors, about 60 linear feet of them, mounted from the 24" level to about 76" tall. We use them continually. The students are able to see themselves, their postions and use themselves as targets during basics. There are a few people that say they don't like looking at themselves and for the most part, I don't like looking at them either ... LOL ... that was a joke of course. Mirrors are yet another tool. I vote yes. As far as where to get them, I used a local glass shop, so I can't really give any advice there.

Lorak

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Loark, thanks yes i have been to dojo's with and with out them there nice but i have also seen when people are sparring and slammed in to them and when they break and kinda pricey to get new ones

I have seen a few people come close. Guess the major factor might be the size of your dojo and how much floor space you have. Even so, we try to put a few people along the mirrors sometimes to act as a buffer between out-of control zelous types. ;-)

But it can be a good teaching aid. the "when doing a knife hand strike to the neck. Look in the mirror. it should look like your holding your head on your palm if your in the correct postion. "

or if doing kata, you can look at your form and self correct your steps if they are not deep enough, self correct stricking height using your self as target for areas of your body, solar plex, knee strikes ect.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No with all the tools that we use in training and how thing's fly once in a while mirror's would be a really bad idea.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really never use them, at this point there are none in my school because I find people trying to see what is going on instead of concetrating on there particular task. just my humble opinion and with a dollar you can get a cup of cheap coffee.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like them for the same reason I like them in the gym; I can watch my form to make sure I'm doing it right.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When you can see your own self in the mirror?... gives you another point of view.

A view that shows your stance/forms/body/techniques/ is a big help!

Mirrors would have to be well place for safey. In the long run it helps each student better to understand how they look! or what they are doing correctly or incorrectly!

If you can SEE WHAT YOUR ARE DOING? ...will make you better!

Looking into a mirror? ..help in knowing what you look like....the real truth!

"When they say?" you look "pretty ulgy" ...at least you know what they are talking about....just remember ? ...beauty is only skin deep.

Mirror, mirror on the wall ...who is the best looking martial arts in all? For those who look in the mirror...will find the answer!

Aloha, ( our present training location has NO mirrors...we can recognize others....just that is hard to recognize our selves, ..who's that?)

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the only 2 schools I've trained in we've had one wall of mirrors. I personally find them to be very helpful for self correction.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have mirrors because the rooms we use are also dance studios - I find them very helpful for correcting technique (mine and my students'), although they can be quite distracting for people who are not used to them.

When I renovated my basement into a workout space, I wanted some mirrors - a friend of mine who was renovating a house donated some mirrored closet doors, which work great for the basement. I haven't really looked into buying them for anything else.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My first sifu had them (full front and back wall of the school and they were great but if I can reference Brian's post, I did break one once and someone else broke another one.

I train without them now and for the most part I do not miss them but on rare occasion I wish I had them, but I find now that if I am somewhere that has them if I look at them they can be distracting so I tend not to use them anymore.

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have been in schools with and without. Both have been with their pluses and minuses. Those with mirrors provide another method of feedback but provide another obstacle when stuff gets rough. One other minus with mirrors is if you are teaching kids, many tend to look for the mirror no matter where they are.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I LOVE 'em!!!!!

They are a great tool for self-correction, as has been mentioned. I have seen beginning students make tremendous strides, just by subconscoiusly trying to make their motions in the mirror match those of an Instructor/Higher Gup student in front.

I am very greatful to have mirrors across the front wall for my sword class. They help with the single most important issue regarding technique in a sword art - making sure you are always leading with the blade edge. Mirrors help tremendously for making sure level cuts stay level and straight cuts stay straight.

My husband gave me my very own small workout room when he designed the addition (garage conversion) on our house. He included a higher ceiling, recessed ceiling lights, and a mirrored front wall, just so I could practice my sword work. What a guy!!

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score

yes and we do use them for self correction of form in kata practice and they are useful for that... very useful actually.

Latest Discussions