Military drone pilots to get medals?

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's been a number of years since my service... but now that I think about it... it never came up in regards to the missle combat crews (those are the guys with the magic keys) I worked with. Of course, they never turned those magic keys... probably a good thing... and the drone pilots actually are more "actively" involved in combat... not sure if that's "apples to apples" or not.

Interesting that it has become an issue though. Back then, I don't think those guys would've ever entertained the thought in the first place.They were more than happy to let us "grunts" take the physical risks as they sat behind a huge vault door way below ground.

Perhaps it's just another reflection of an entitlement minded culture where everyone grew up getting a trophy just for showing up???

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I read an article in the Army Times that basically stated that the use of drones will replace many combat functions that men now perform. They showed a picture of a "combat drone" prototype that could be used to engage enemy soldiers. Perhaps this is just a reflection of the changing nature of service? Perhaps putting yourself in harms way will become increasingly rare in combat?

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry, that doesn't work for me. ARCOMs and MSMs are for commendation for a job very well done or exceptionally well done. The fact that a drone pilot is only doing the job he was trained to do doesn't qualify for me. The more I think of a badge like sharpshooter the more I like it. I don't even like the idea of a badge like the parachute badge or even air assault. Give them a badge for so many successful flight missions, and hang it off the pocket flap.

I got an ARCOM for doing the job I was trained to do and doing it very well.

So are you telling me that if a guy pilots a drone, identifies hostiles, maybe even takes them out, and brings a lot of Intel into the fight, AND does it with a high degree of skill, that doesn't merit an ARCOM?

I would have to disagree. The vast majority of ARCOMs awarded are for doing one's job very well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So playing video games all those years may actually pay off in a real-life medal?!

I neither support nor oppose this, but if they're going to be fair then they need to consider making "job-specific" medals for everyone. Even the ammo loaders, cooks, and so on.

Actually, being an ammo loader is a much more life threatening job if you think about it...

Just throwin' that out there.
What about the guys who assembled, disassembled, guarded, stored, and delivered the AMMO? I was a 461. The loaders were 462s. I want a medal, dammit! :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the guys who assembled, disassembled, guarded, stored, and delivered the AMMO? I was a 461. The loaders were 462s. I want a medal, dammit! :D

Were you an armourer? My brother in law was, both in the RAF and Navy, went to the Falklands with the Harriers, he worked on the ejection seats then as it needs an armourer to deal with them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Were you an armourer? My brother in law was, both in the RAF and Navy, went to the Falklands with the Harriers, he worked on the ejection seats then as it needs an armourer to deal with them.
I would say not. That sounds like a cool job, but I was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMMO_(U.S._Air_Force) Things were a little different when I was in. For example, I went to tech school in Denver at Lowry, AFB, and when I was in, the STAMP bases were Medina, AFB (a satellite of Kelly, AFB) in San Antonio, and Hill AFB in Ogden, Utah.

I worked in a few different shops including Conventional Maintenance, the Missile Shop and also Storage and Handling (a lot of forklift and truck driving in that one.) My experience on the forklift is why I ended up loading the rail cars for 16 hour stretches at the railhead in Morbach, and also ended up deployed to Saudi during the 100% reconstitution of the munitions in the bomb dump out in Abu Dhabi.

Truth is, it was a fun job, but not very difficult.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say not. That sounds like a cool job, but I was this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMMO_(U.S._Air_Force) Things were a little different when I was in. For example, I went to tech school in Denver at Lowry, AFB, and when I was in, the STAMP bases were Medina, AFB (a satellite of Kelly, AFB) in San Antonio, and Hill AFB in Ogden, Utah.

I worked in a few different shops including Conventional Maintenance, the Missile Shop and also Storage and Handling (a lot of forklift and truck driving in that one.) My experience on the forklift is why I ended up loading the rail cars for 16 hour stretches at the railhead in Morbach, and also ended up deployed to Saudi during the 100% reconstitution of the munitions in the bomb dump out in Abu Dhabi.

Truth is, it was a fun job, but not very difficult.

RAF armourers, ( army ones there too but ignore them lol) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armourer

thought you'd like Lord Trenchard's quote though.. "The founder of the RAF, Lord Trenchard, held armourers in high esteem, saying "without armament, there is no Air Force."

ChrisT

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't think that the drone pilots efforts should be over looked and they should be recognized for their contributions/efforts. Of course I do agree that there has to be a clear process as to how those awards are approved and handed out.

I agree with that. All should get their reward somehow. Instead of medals I think one could invest the money into something more useful and more valuable. If someone works in aviation i think a pilots watch might be a proper gift. The Breitling watches, for example the Breitling Co-Pilot Top Time is a beautiful example. After all, these people identify with their job and that's a very nice recognition.
Regards,

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If drone operation is just joysticks and buttons, the job should be given to the wounded warriors who are no longer fit for active ground, air and naval duties due to injuries (leg amputees come to mind). Seems to me that they have already earned their medals and it keeps them in the military if they choose to stay.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with that. All should get their reward somehow. Instead of medals I think one could invest the money into something more useful and more valuable. If someone works in aviation i think a pilots watch might be a proper gift. The Breitling watches, for example the Breitling Co-Pilot Top Time is a beautiful example. After all, these people identify with their job and that's a very nice recognition.
Regards,

It's not the same form of recognition as a medal within the military. Medals carry weight in a variety of circumstances including promotion and training selections.

If drone operation is just joysticks and buttons, the job should be given to the wounded warriors who are no longer fit for active ground, air and naval duties due to injuries (leg amputees come to mind). Seems to me that they have already earned their medals and it keeps them in the military if they choose to stay.

Interesting idea.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a National Defense Ribbon that is awarded to all servicemen during time of war. That is all that they require or deserve. If they stand no chance of eating hot lead, they have not performed any manner of heroics. No risk, no medal.

What they're doing is considering the future career prospects of these remotely-piloted drones and thinking that no one is going to want to be one if it means their chest is bare of medals in the next 20 years, whilst they compete with real pilots and other war heroes for promotions in a smaller military. A smart career person would reject any assignment that does not put them in harm's way or garner them a chest full of medals during time of war - they simply won't be promoted going forward, so no career. I see what they're trying to do here, but I think it's ********.

I would jump at a chance to be a UAV pilot! Also I am not sure I like the derisive tone of your post Bill. Hundreds and hundreds of military people spend their entire careers in support roles far from combat, it doesn't mean they are not at risk or in danger. For example some people work on the deck of an aircraft carrier. Even though they are not in combat they have a very, very, dangerous job.