Michigan weapon laws

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Does any one know or know where to get a copy of the michigan weapon laws like karate weapons and knifes not guns

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
TallAdam85 said:
Does any one know or know where to get a copy of the michigan weapon laws like karate weapons and knifes not guns

a good place to start is your state governments website...click state revised statutes, and do a search for "excessive force"...give that a try...that's how i found mine for missouri...

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Google search "Michigan" & "Penal Code" then search for illegal weapons, knives, etc. I did a quick search and lots of information popped up. How about it, any law enforcement guys in Michigan reading this?

In Texas they have Nunchaku, Tonfas, ax handles, or anything "Modified" to be a weapon, as an illegal weapon. They fall under the catagory of "Maces", which are illegal. Any knife that exceeds 5-1/4 inches (most States limit it to 3-1/2 inches) is illegal. We also prohibit daggers (knives sharpened on both sides, to any degree), gravity knives (balisongs), and switchblades. Certain cities (San Antonio) has a municiple ordinance against lockblades also, but this is not a State statute and unlikely to become one.

However anything used as a Mace or club IS A WEAPON IF USED AS SUCH. I have seen telephones used as weapons, frying pans, etc. They become aggravated offenses in Texas when used to inflict serious bodily injury or death.

Don't carry unless you know. Michigan also has a law against "brandishment" as do other states, that is threatening or exposing a weapon for the purpose of intimidation. My wife is from there and I was surprised by how much like Texas Michigan laws were. Not quite the wild west, but there are some serious hunters up there, including Ted Nuggent and his whole survivalist thing. Very interesting.

-Michael

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i dont really see the point of carrying weapons anyway...except where i live in hillbilly, everyone here carries a knife of some sort (except me). i once was pulled over by state police for speeding on the way to my private lesson @ the studio. in the back of Jeep was 2 staffs, 3 nunchuckus, a pair of sais, and a wooden chinese broadsword. i got a warning for the speeding but the trooper wasnt comfortable seeing all the weapons i had in my car...after explaining to him i was speeding because i was late for my class, he understood and let me go, but not after going through my car for 30 minutes.

i dont see the need for carrying weapons everyday...my MA stuff never leaves the house unless it goes to the studio with me...besides, the only weapons i really need is my own mind & the trusty yawara stick...

so the next time you're out for groceries, leave the nunchuckus at home.

OP
TallAdam85

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sapper6 said:
i dont really see the point of carrying weapons anyway...except where i live in hillbilly, everyone here carries a knife of some sort (except me). i once was pulled over by state police for speeding on the way to my private lesson @ the studio. in the back of Jeep was 2 staffs, 3 nunchuckus, a pair of sais, and a wooden chinese broadsword. i got a warning for the speeding but the trooper wasnt comfortable seeing all the weapons i had in my car...after explaining to him i was speeding because i was late for my class, he understood and let me go, but not after going through my car for 30 minutes.

i dont see the need for carrying weapons everyday...my MA stuff never leaves the house unless it goes to the studio with me...besides, the only weapons i really need is my own mind & the trusty yawara stick...

so the next time you're out for groceries, leave the nunchuckus at home.
Yes I know I am just trying to find the copy to give to a friend of mine who is opening a store