Media Leave "South Park" Creators Out to Dry

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
April 24, 2010Media Leave "South Park" Creators Out to Dry

Real Clear Politics EXCERPT:
By Diana West
Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of "South Park," get it.
They get the free-speech significance of the Danish Muhammad cartoons epitomized by Kurt Westergaard's bomb-head Muhammad.
They even get it across.
"It's so sad, the whole Muhammad, the whole Danish cartoon thing," said Stone, Parker seated beside him during a joint interview with the entertainment Web site Boing Boing.
Don't laugh. Boing Boing here goes where "elite" media fear to tiptoe, let alone tread.
The subject was the 200th episode of "South Park," which, in unusually clean if satirical fashion, focused on Islam's fanatical, and, to Western sensibilities, ridiculous prohibitions on depictions and criticism of Muhammad, who is at one point presented in a bear suit. (Now you can laugh.)
Stone continued: "It's like, if everyone would have just, like, normally they do in the news organizations, just printed the cartoons -"
"Everyone would have rallied together," interjected Parker.
"Now that guy [Westergaard] has to be hiding and all this [bleep] because everyone just kind of left him out to dry. It's a big problem when you have the New York Times and Comedy Central and Viacom basically just [wimping] out on it. It's just sad. I was, like, really sad about the whole thing."
This -- despite the grubby Valspeak-ish patois of the astronomically successful Hollywood postmodern -- is a singularly powerful statement. It is powerful in its sincerity, and it is singular in its, well, singularity.
No other American "name" I can think of, no one tops in pop culture, has spoken out against (or even mentioned) the Islamic threat to Western freedom of expression as exemplified by the Sharia dictates against "Motooning." Certainly no one has produced creative content about it.
Rather, such dictates have been religiously followed -- no pun whatsoever intended -- just as though our society were itself officially Islamic. This makes "South Park's" message the closest thing yet to a mainstream declaration of independence from Sharia. For rejecting both the threat of violence and the emotional blackmail emanating from Islam over critiquing Islam's prophet, the two "South Park" creators deserve a medal.
"They're courageous -- no doubt that they are," said Bill O'Reilly of Fox's "O'Reilly Factor" this week. He was discussing the Islamic death threats against Parker and Stone that, naturally, followed the recent "South Park" Muhammad episode.
The threats came in a jihadist video (caption: "Help Us Remove the Filth") portraying the writer-producers as likely victims of Islamic violence along with Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Salman Rushdie, Geert Wilders, Kurt Westergaard and Lars Vilks. A photo of the slain body of filmmaker Theo van Gogh, his head nearly cut off on an Amsterdam, Netherlands, street in 2004 by a jihadist assassin, served as an example.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Cowardly Central

Last Updated: 4:59 AM, April 24, 2010

Posted: April 24, 2010 NY Post EXCERPT:

For nearly 13 years, the irreverent -- to put it mildly -- cartoon show "South Park" has ridiculed every sacred convention in the book, from major religions and celebrities to gays and the physically disabled.

Nearly every bit of over-the-top satire has outraged someone or some group and prompted calls for the show to be boycotted or even banned.

And each time, for better or for worse, the program's network, Comedy Central, has stood firmly behind creator-producers Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

Except when it comes to Islam and the prophet Mohammed.

This week, to mark its 200th episode, "South Park" featured a bit in which the characters try to figure out how to portray Mohammed without actually showing him. The show ended up showing him dressed in a bear costume.

Even that prompted a posting on a New York-based Web site, Revolution Muslim, that "warned" Parker and Stone they would end up like Theo Van Gogh -- the Dutch filmmaker killed in 2004 by an Islamic terrorist after he made a film dealing with abuse of Muslim women.

The producers sought to address that threat in the next episode -- but Comedy Central ordered any mention and depiction of Mohammed bleeped.
<<<SNIP>>>

And until the West decides -- culturally and collectively -- not to take it any longer, it's only going to get worse.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think they've played the episode since. FN cowards.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thursday, April 22, 2010
s.gif
s.gif

Dutch court acquits Arab group of hate speech over Holocaust cartoon University of Pittsburgh School of Law EXCERPT:
Erin Bock at 12:34 PM ET
s.gif

s.gif
The Netherlands Utrecht District Court on Thursday acquitted members of the Arab European League (AEL) of hate speech charges resulting from the posting a cartoon on their website that insinuated that the Holocaust was fabricated. The criminal complaint against the group alleged that the cartoon violated Article 137c of the Dutch Penal Code, which punishes individuals for making discriminatory and defamatory statements against certain groups. The AEL argued that they do not actually deny the historical facts of the Holocaust, but that the cartoon was posted to call attention to what they saw as a double standard in the distribution of Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed. The court held that the cartoon was offensive, but that, in light an accompanying disclaimer and subsequent statements regarding its purpose, it was nevertheless protected under Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights
END EXCERPT
It is only bad, if you offend Muslims...

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one of the reason's religion bothers the hell out of me. You are so tied to your own mythology that even a differing idea drives you into a ponderous rage! Sounds like insecurity to me.

OP
Big Don

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And yet, somehow, every other religion is fair game for ridicule...

JDenver

Purple Belt
Reaction score
And yet, somehow, every other religion is fair game for ridicule...

No other religion has the central conceipt that their prophet be idolized so precisely. It has nothing to do with a double standard or with Christian victimization. I have no respect for death threats and intimidation. However, I do respect that in Muslim faith you should not portray Muhammed. Why should I disrespect their faith? Because I live in the West and feel like we, in the West, are right about everything?

Seems arrogant to me.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't see it as disrespect at all. The adherents of a religion are free to believe and practice and no show pictures of Moohamed all they want. Doesn't mean it's a taboo subject for the rest of the planet. I don't follow their religion, I don't see why I have to be bound by it's rules.

Just a bunch of combative trouble makers if you ask me. My friends who are Muslims don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't see it as disrespect at all. The adherents of a religion are free to believe and practice and no show pictures of Moohamed all they want. Doesn't mean it's a taboo subject for the rest of the planet. I don't follow their religion, I don't see why I have to be bound by it's rules.

Just a bunch of combative trouble makers if you ask me. My friends who are Muslims don't have a problem with it whatsoever.

What you mean you refuse to respect and alter how you live your life by everything taught in all of the worlds 6000 current religions???

Heathen....

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
What you mean you refuse to respect and alter how you live your life by everything taught in all of the worlds 6000 current religions???

Heathen....

I'll have you know I treat every one of the world's religions with absolutely equal respect. (If it was up to me, I'd ban them ALL).

But then--who am I ****ing--we'd just find something else to bring each other misery over, because that is what we DO.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No other religion has the central conceipt that their prophet be idolized so precisely. It has nothing to do with a double standard or with Christian victimization. I have no respect for death threats and intimidation. However, I do respect that in Muslim faith you should not portray Muhammed. Why should I disrespect their faith? Because I live in the West and feel like we, in the West, are right about everything?

Seems arrogant to me.

The central tenet of my Religion is that all canadians have to send me 100 bucks U.S.

Get right on respecting that for me, Ok?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll have you know I treat every one of the world's religions with absolutely equal respect. (If it was up to me, I'd ban them ALL).

But then--who am I ****ing--we'd just find something else to bring each other misery over, because that is what we DO.

Preaching to the choir my brother…

Scott T

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The central tenet of my Religion is that all canadians have to send me 100 bucks U.S.

Get right on respecting that for me, Ok?
You're shortchanging yourself. At the time of my writing this, the loonie is worth 1/2000 of cent more than the greenback. :D

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score

Seems arrogant to me.

This has nothing to do with only Muslims being disrespected for living "in the West". Right here in the West, Christians are expected to tolerate splendid "art" such as Piss Christ, a crucifix submerged in a jar of urine. If that be protected, the Muslims in the West must tolerate cartoons of The Prophet without resorting to murder, threats and riot.

Seems that Don's central point of equal treatment of religion isn't arrogant at all.... but those fanatics who murdered Theo Van Gogh, they and their cheerleaders here display the ultimate arrogance. "We'll murder you if you offend us" - what could be more arrogant?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why all the back bending effort to "respect" Islam when the same effort doesn't seem to be required for other peoples beliefs?

Fear of being beheaded in the street??

Latest Discussions