Mechanics of a punch: with body or without body

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When fighters are judging if someone is throwing a strike, it is usually read by the movement of the body as a whole. When you throw the strike before the body you are also a little ahead of your opponents detection. Now, I'm not saying that your blow will be undetectable. Any seasoned martial artist can read these types of thrown blows too. .

Yeah you are taught especially in western boxing to look at the elbow and waist.

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGreber
Later in your advanced training, kung fu starts to look at grass root energy. This usually starts when studying Biu jee. This concept of striking is different. It is performed with the power being generated from the ground up. This type of striking moves the body first and is studied and used more in the internal martial arts.

Quote: dnovice. I think this is actually in reverse. At first in WC, at least from my experience, they drill into you the importance of body unity, using power from the ground so to speak. In Bil jee is when you start doing fast fluid movements in which your hand darts out ahead of the body. I think its good this way since by that time you understand what it feels like to place your body behind a hit so then you can be more versatile and punch first and let the body, reassembling that body unity that transfers energy from the ground. I believe this compounds the force.

When we study the idea of grass root energy, we start studying the idea from the concept of chan siu jing. We use chan sui jing when doing knife flow and when flowing through different chin na positions. I didn't mean that it came directly from the way we use power in the Bui jee set. We do start looking at this type of generated power at the same time that we start looking at the Bui jee form though. When you combine the power built in to the throwing of the arms in Bui jee and the power generated from the ground through grass root motion, you get a very powerful and penatrating strike. I appreciate your comments!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
(sidenote: this might be a bit advanced.)
Mook Jong Man's post on Bil jee pivoting brought this question, which i have been struggling with, to the forefront of my mind.

Is it better to throw a punch with your hip lagging, simultaneously, or hip first then punch last. (of course the lag is only a fraction of a second.)?

LAgging hip:
Now, in my mind the benefits to throwing a punch arm or upper body first with hip lagging is the initial acceleration from zero to 60(car terms, can't think of any other analogy.) This way if you have a long distance to travel before making contact your punch can make it there shortest time, and right before impact or at close to the max velocity of your punch you root the punch to your legs by moving your hips.

Simulataneous upper and lower body movement:
Its initial acceleration is slower since you are moving a larger mass (whole body versus just upper part.)

I get this from the physics force formula Force=mass x acceleration. This basically says that to create a force, mass and initial acceleration is needed. Now so long as the force remains constant acceleration depends solely on mass. so the larger the mass the slower the acceleration. (a=f/m)

Although it has a slower acceleration, it would be prefered for very close quarters since you know for sure that your hip is behind your hit. This would be unlike the lagging hip in that you might not be able to connect upper body to lower body in time before the hit.

Lagging upper body:
This is like a capeora kick but in reverse; you torque with you lower body, build tension and release that through the movement of the upper body. This most likely releases the most force at the max speed of the punch.

This could be used in long distance. However, its telegraphed so one needs to trick opponent, or hide the move, for it to work.

What are your thoughts people??
Punch first then hip.
Sean

Latest Discussions