McDojos and 'The Worst Martial Art': A Controversial Question

azmyth

Orange Belt
Reaction score
People that bash someone elses art for its effectiveness are obviously insecure about the effectiveness of their own.

practice the art you enjoy. Thats really all that matters. When it boils down to it.. its all art.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
People that bash someone elses art for its effectiveness are obviously insecure about the effectiveness of their own.

practice the art you enjoy. Thats really all that matters. When it boils down to it.. its all art.

Nicely stated - and something that can be extended to all areas of life.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nicely stated - and something that can be extended to all areas of life.

Kacey, SHHHHH! People who are self doubting their own beliefs or religious convictions and or sexual desires may not want to hear that this can and should be applied to them as well. ;)

ciscodog

White Belt
Reaction score
ok my 2 cents worth....No style is perfect...if any style could promise that you'll always win and never get hit and back it up, everyone would be practicing it. Why did all these different styles survive? Because they worked, are we the first generation to say, "Hey hes going to take me to the ground because im a striker, i better learn ground technique" , no of course not! I hear all the time "Your in karate what do you know about ground fighting?" Yet we grapple every friday night, pull guard, sweeps, submissions, etc as grappling is part of our cuiriculumn. Why, because when Karate was TE, it used ground techniques. Each style will suffer a stereo-type that isnt always true.

Mcdojo's are poor quality teaching at perhaps inflated prices but the scary thing is that those students will put there lives at risk using crap when they find themselves attacked. Thats the worst part of Mcdojo's, they put innocent people with the best intentions at risk, they just want to protect their family members and these places set them up for failure....a shame

Reaction score
If everyone stopped looking at other systems with complete distain they would be able to spend more time perfecting their own skills. Their mastered skills could be then be used to enhance their own system. There then might be fewer McDojos around.

Nice.

But then all the gossips couldn't do their bitching or their "tearing down of others they want to believe are inferior so they can pretend to be superior".

It is amazing how getting some of the gripers in a gi and sparring them will really shut them up. And some of them become friends, because they just didn't know any better and believed a hate-monger.

Thank you for a great post.

I'm going to go and do some pushups, stretch a bit and sweat a bit.

Great advice you gave.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette

woot

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion, a "McDojo" may be doing the same moves as a "legit" school, and they may have shady business practices, but where the "McDojo" really falls short is the lack of theory and application in those moves. The instructor at a "McDojo" may have a legit black belt, but that does not necessarily qualify them to "teach" the art if they don't know the arts true histroy, theories, and applications of what it is they are supposed to be teaching.