Displaying belts

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does your school display rank belts in order so that students know the order? If so, how do they display them? Tied (like it would be on a person) on the wall? Display rack? Something else?

Do you display your's at home? If so, how?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at a Y, so there's nowhere to display them; the rooms I use are used by several other classes as well, and items that we leave there are in locked trunks.

At home, my first 6 belts are displayed on a wall hanger (that's all that fit) - but the only reason I even have that is because it was a gift from a family friend when I tested for I Dan. They are in order top to bottom, with white on the top.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My dojo has them on a belt rack in a corner of the training area. They're there but don't hold a place of prominence. I've never displayed any of my belts nor has my wife. I think ours are in the top of our closet somewhere. My 7 year old son just started training back in Sept '07 and I think that I'll display his in his room as a way of keeping him motivated. Haven't decided on the tied or racked version yet.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I teach at a Y, so there's nowhere to display them; the rooms I use are used by several other classes as well, and items that we leave there are in locked trunks.

At home, my first 6 belts are displayed on a wall hanger (that's all that fit) - but the only reason I even have that is because it was a gift from a family friend when I tested for I Dan. They are in order top to bottom, with white on the top.

Like you, I'm in a school space that's used by other groups. I'm debating on getting some kind of belt rack that I can put away with the rest of the equipment. I don't want it to have a prominent place, but I do want to give a visual motivation for my students. (As well as helping them understand our rank order).

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use a community center, so the same situation holds as for Kacey.

At home, I have my belts rolled up like a donut—you know, stacked with white at the bottom and then rolled into as tight a circle as possible—on a shelf in my closet with various weightlifting and MA equipment. When I got promoted to first gup in December, though, it turned out to be impossible to get my previous belt onto the stack so that it was rollable... I still haven't figured out what to do about that!

TheOriginalName

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The Jojo I attend displays the belt ranks a couple of ways.
1 - In our Dojo books. The book outlines the sylabus, the school rules, belt ranks and a heap of other stuff.

2 - Poster on the wall. Custom made for our school it places all the belts in order and a general outline of what the different types of belts\gi's\stripes and other displays stand for.

I think in general new students very quickly pick up all the ranks as they interact with other student - i recon i had it all figured out within a month.

And yes, i display my completed belts at home. My martial arts journey has only been short so far (about a year) but i am very proud of what i have achieved so far, so i dedicated a book shelf to display my belts and awards (i managed to get student of the month which i was totally stoked with).

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
We do not display the belt order in any way at the Dojo. Students pick it up from the line up pretty quick anyway.
(edit) Actually our sister club outside town put up a note with the belt order a short time ago, but this was because of a small change being made in the apperance of 2.Kyu and 1.Kyu brown belts.

The belt is for class, not for display. I woulden`t want to show it off at home any more than I would my underwear. Pretty good thing to compare to come to think of it. Both feel a little uncomfortable when new but becomes part of you after a while. My old belts are folded twice with a knot on the middle and hung on a line in the attic. The ones I currently use hang in the closet with my gis.
If I make black belt I might display the diploma tho.

ejaazi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't display belts, but we do display everyone's name under their current rank.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use a vertical rack, where the belts are folded over in the same manner as they were shipped to us.

White at the bottom, black at the top.

This makes it easy for the parents to see how the ranks progress, although most of them could pick it up based on how people line up in class.

Still, it's a nice display, and some students have bought similar racks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have them on a belt rack at the school with them tied and in order.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
at my school they belts are in a handmade wooden belt rack, mounted to a wall. they are displayed in ascending order bottom to top (white to black). I just got my blue belt so i think Ill put mine on my wall, might make my own rack, itll be cheaper and fun

B

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At the school where I study, the belts, and the techniques, forms and sets required for each belt is displayed along the wall. Every student knows what is required for each level.

Under the Yellow Belt, we have listed our 13 yellow belt techniques, Blocking Set 1, Strike Set 1, Short Form 1. Under the Orange Belt, we have listed our 16 orange belt techniques, Coordination Set 1, Long Form 1. And so on, and so on, and so on. Through 3rd Black.

This takes up quite a bit of wall space, but everybody has the roadmap in front of them.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No belt rack and no display. Students pick up what is about everything over time.
icon6.gif
As to my belts at home they are in a closet somewhere.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
At my daughters' karate dojo, the belts are tied and arranged from left to right along the front wall. Also there are the old and frayed black belts of the owners with certifications. At home, I have belt racks for each and their awards are framed and hung next to them.

Since Tai Chi/Qi Gong has no belts, I save all manner of space/time/expense by not having any.:shrug:

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
We used to display a ranking board in the dojo, but currently are using an aerobics room in a gym so we cannot customize the walls.

At home I have a display on the wall with my belts. Only one space left to fill :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the Training Center;
No belts on display but have a poster with levels and the associated requirements for each level for each of the arts we provide instruction in.
Other than the youth there are no "belts" to wear other than the grappling class w/gi and everyone in that class wears a white belt only to keep the gi closed and for belt grabbing.

As for my belts I do not display them in fact, hmm, I'm not certain where they are. I'll have to ask my wife, I'm sure she knows.

Danny T

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
yes they desplay them tiead as on a person, as for me of course i display them. it shows your pregression through th art

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Does your school display rank belts in order so that students know the order? If so, how do they display them? Tied (like it would be on a person) on the wall? Display rack? Something else?

Do you display your's at home? If so, how?

At our dojo we have them tied on the wall, and a rack that shows our highest belt.

At home all my belts are in a drawer somewhere.

OP
IcemanSK

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I figured out a display for the rec center situation that I'm in.

Dilemma: Having a way to display belts order for students knowledge in a non-permenent location (eg. rec center, YMCA, church, or other rooms where you can't have permenent displays).

Century has those belt keychains in each color. To make a display all colors one would need would be fairly simple, cheap & portable.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been in schools that used belts. None of them had displays.

Latest Discussions