Mat Time - Newbie here .... :)

gkygrl

Green Belt
Reaction score
When you need to practice your art (for me it will be Combat Hapkido), is it traditional for a Dojang to offer times where you can use the mat outside of formal practice? Where do most of you practice grappling or throws, etc. outside of normal practices?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, "open roll" is useful and especially so for grapplers and many schools with a grappling/throwing emphasis will provide it. You need mats and a partner to do it, after all, which you wouldn't have at home.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
oh wow! I was just about to ask my teacher the same thing! The first time we did falls and rolls I did one very wrong, and it HURT...so I want to practice them on a mat before I try them on a harder surface...thanks for the reminder!

tad2bad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing. I also had trouble with falls and need some practice.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its a tough question...In the Summer ya practice on the lawn, that is IF you have a lawn..Look into those puzzle mats..I've seen them in some sporting good stores, they are pre-packaged and you buy what you need..It beats the carpet...

Latest Discussions