Mat burns and diabetes

OldManJim

Orange Belt
Reaction score
so I made up my mind and I’m going to give bjj a shot again. I had taken a few classes in the past and so I want to get back in it for health and self defense reasons. The times I’ve done bjj classes in the past I’d always wind up with bad may burns on top of my toes and feet which is a big no no for diabetic folks due to hard to heal if you have diabetic neuropathy. I haven’t reached that stage yet, but what could I do to stop mat burn on my toes/top of foot? Tape them? If so what kind of tape do I use? I’ve never taped and have no idea how or what to do. Would a white belt look like a newb for doing it? Any suggestions?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting wrestling shoes might help. Most places should allow them in general, especially if you've got a reason for it. And who cares if you look like a newb or not, you are a newb :p

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As a diabetic with nerve damage in my feet, I know that wounds to the feet heal slowly. However, of utmost importance is to avoid infection leading to gangrene, since we tend not to notice or tend to wounds on our feet, since we often don't feel them. I don't know what to tell you about protecting your feet from mat burns, but I can say that self-inspection is vital. Sorry that's all I can offer.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that would make a good layer but you many still have to tape the top and bottom pretty well or it will roll up. In training a lot of fighters use foam pre-wrap to that regular trainers tape comes off quick. It comes in rolls and is usually with the trainers tape. There is a method to taping that takes time to learn. One of the easiest things to do is put it on too tight, restricting circulation. Really bad for the feet and painful. With diabetes you may not feel it as quickly. The sock you posted would get you ready to workout quicker if it doesn't roll up but I have never used an ankle brace that hasn't rolled up.

quasar44

Brown Belt
Reaction score
so I made up my mind and I’m going to give bjj a shot again. I had taken a few classes in the past and so I want to get back in it for health and self defense reasons. The times I’ve done bjj classes in the past I’d always wind up with bad may burns on top of my toes and feet which is a big no no for diabetic folks due to hard to heal if you have diabetic neuropathy. I haven’t reached that stage yet, but what could I do to stop mat burn on my toes/top of foot? Tape them? If so what kind of tape do I use? I’ve never taped and have no idea how or what to do. Would a white belt look like a newb for doing it? Any suggestions?

My advise ??
Talk to coach and tell him you want to limit rolling and wear wrestling shoes
I limit rolling because I don’t like too much

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They do make grappling socks these days which look like they are essentially overpriced dive socks.

So either way I guess.

Or wrestling shoes. Or even barefoot shoes work on the mat.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there. An attempt to revive this thread. Can I take up martial arts if I'm taking Ozempic for my diabetes?
Diabetes is associated with slower wound healing. There is no known connection between diabetic medications and wound healing.

Exercise can affect blood sugar. It's advisable to monitor blood sugar more closely when increasing your level of activity and be prepared to intervene in case of hypoglycemic events.

Any recommendation beyond that would require a much more detailed knowledge of your health. There is a world of difference, for example, between a well controlled Type II diabetic with no comorbidities, and a poorly controlled Type I diabetic with hypertension, cardiac disease, neuropathies, and renal failure who gets admitted every 2-3 months for DKA.
They do make grappling socks these days which look like they are essentially overpriced dive socks.
"[O]verpriced dive socks" is redundant. They're all ridiculous. I wear plain old white athletic socks under my dive boots.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Diabetes is associated with slower wound healing. There is no known connection between diabetic medications and wound healing.

Exercise can affect blood sugar. It's advisable to monitor blood sugar more closely when increasing your level of activity and be prepared to intervene in case of hypoglycemic events.

Any recommendation beyond that would require a much more detailed knowledge of your health. There is a world of difference, for example, between a well controlled Type II diabetic with no comorbidities, and a poorly controlled Type I diabetic with hypertension, cardiac disease, neuropathies, and renal failure who gets admitted every 2-3 months for DKA.

"[O]verpriced dive socks" is redundant. They're all ridiculous. I wear plain old white athletic socks under my dive boots.

Yeah. These are sort of neoprene socks/boots with a grip on them. So I think more like a shoe.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey there. An attempt to revive this thread. Can I take up martial arts if I'm taking Ozempic for my diabetes?
That's a discussion you should have first with your medical provider, and then share information with the instructor, to inform them of the limits or concerns.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah. These are sort of neoprene socks/boots with a grip on them. So I think more like a shoe.

Yeah. Totally different. Dive socks to me, as a diver, means socks worn under boots.

Those are cute, but not much use for actual diving. I especially like the claim that 3mm is enough to keep you warm in 'the coolest of conditions'... lots of divers wear 3mm suits. In 80F water. In Tulum, the caves tend to be 72-74F. I wear a 3mm on a SHORT dive, but long dives in that water is more often dry suits. And if you're ice diving...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. Totally different. Dive socks to me, as a diver, means socks worn under boots.

Those are cute, but not much use for actual diving. I especially like the claim that 3mm is enough to keep you warm in 'the coolest of conditions'... lots of divers wear 3mm suits. In 80F water. In Tulum, the caves tend to be 72-74F. I wear a 3mm on a SHORT dive, but long dives in that water is more often dry suits. And if you're ice diving...

Yeah. No idea what they are used for in an underwater context.

jmf552

Green Belt
Reaction score
They make grappling socks that protect most of the foot. Something like this perhaps?

https://www.amazon.com/Venum-Kontac...argid=aud-801381245258:pla-309656068751&psc=1
I have peripheral neuropathy and I wore something like that for both BJJ and Muay Thai training. They worked well. The only problem was that doing BJJ techniques that require a lot of traction against them mat, they can roll up or even come off.

I had to give up training because I needed a total knee replacement, but I may go back to it at some point.

Latest Discussions