Diabetes and Martial Arts

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had type 2 diabetes for awhile, but haven't been testing my blood for awhile at home because my A1c readings (A1c readings measure average blood sugar over three months time) have been good, and the A1c was the only thing a Nurse Practitioner who specialized in Diabetes cared about (she was my Nurse Practitoner). But lately I've been having symptoms that concerned me, so I started testing myself again. And I found doing martial arts for as little as ten minutes will lower my blood sugar 40 points! I was at 160 and after around ten minutes of practice I was down to 120! And even after eating a two scoop bowl of no sugar added ice cream topped off with whip cream, and than practicing martial arts for ten to twenty minutes my blood sugar went down to 104! I was practicing axe hand chops, chin jab upper cuts, low kicks,knee strikes to the groin, working up a good sweat. I encourage those of you who do have diabetes to practice martial arts to lower your blood sugar. And tell a diabetic friend.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've had type 2 diabetes for awhile, but haven't been testing my blood for awhile at home because my A1c readings (A1c readings measure average blood sugar over three months time) have been good, and the A1c was the only thing a Nurse Practitioner who specialized in Diabetes cared about (she was my Nurse Practitoner). But lately I've been having symptoms that concerned me, so I started testing myself again. And I found doing martial arts for as little as ten minutes will lower my blood sugar 40 points! I was at 160 and after around ten minutes of practice I was down to 120! And even after eating a two scoop bowl of no sugar added ice cream topped off with whip cream, and than practicing martial arts for ten to twenty minutes my blood sugar went down to 104! I was practicing axe hand chops, chin jab upper cuts, low kicks,knee strikes to the groin, working up a good sweat. I encourage those of you who do have diabetes to practice martial arts to lower your blood sugar. And tell a diabetic friend.
Best thing for the body is movement. More people should try it. Thanks for the post.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And I found doing martial arts for as little as ten minutes will lower my blood sugar 40 points!

As you know, I'm recently (May 09) diagnosed with Type II. I am having the opposite result.

My blood sugar seems to be under control with 500mg Metformin 2x per day. I test morning and night, and I see my blood glucose at about 100-115 mg/dL (about where the doctor wants it). I'm doing MA 2x per week for 3 hours and treadmill running / weightlifting 2x to 3x per week, running 3 miles at a go and so on. My blood pressure is great (112/74) and pulse not bad (68-74). Age 48, weight 235, 5' 10".

When I come home from work at night, my blood sugar is the lowest reading of the day. Sometimes as low as 70 or even lower (usually 87 or higher, though). If I do not eat anything and THEN go to the dojo, when I come back later that night, but before eating, my blood sugar is 120 or 130, sometimes even higher.

I did some online searching and found that some people are like me - heavy exercise pops their blood glucose level up temporarily. Seems to have to do with putting stress on the muscles that then howl for energy.

So apparently, exercise does affect diabetics differently. I'm trying to eat a bit (carbs, mostly) before going to the dojo now, which seems to help a tad.

Last night I missed dojo, though. Got light-headed at work, nearly went hypoglycemic for the first time ever. Had to eat a bag of candy and drink a fruit juice drink to get my blood glucose back up, and still felt like passing out. No dojo for me last night. I'm still feeling a bit cruddy.

Sad part is that hypoglycemia is more common for people who work the hardest to keep their blood glucose under control through diet and exercise. Seems a nasty payback for doing the right thing. Sigh.

Live True

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'm somewhere in the middle, which just confirms BIll's comment that different people react differently.

My blood sugar, long term, is best when I'm eating well and highly active. In fact, if I'm highly active, I need to make sure and eat enough calories or I have blood sugar drops and get sluggish. Guess it's a case of fuel the machine.

But, in the first 15 min to an hour after a good workout (30-60 min or more) my blood sugar will also spike. I learned this by taking my blood sugar after class and again at 30 min intervals. It was interesting, as it would vary depending on what I ate prior to class, if I ate a snack (if class lasted longer than 2 hours) and how intense the class.

It used to be that doctors would discourage intense exercise for diabetics because of some of these issues.

Bottom line. I'm in full agreement that regular workouts are a must to live a healthy life with diabetes (or to avoid diabetes for those on border or with risk factors). For those of us with diabetes, I think we just need to keep an eye on it, and make sure that we (and our sensies and fellow students) know the physical symptoms of high and low blood sugar. Bring your meter with you if you know it's going to be an intense or long class...and stop and check your levels if you feel "odd". I also bring a snack with me that is part carb and part protein, just in case. Usually don't need it, but it's good to know it's there.

Bill,
I honestly believe and have been told by my doc (not there yet by a long shot) that consistent work on diet and exercise will eventually lead to enough weight loss, etc. that I might be able to get off some of all the meds. I'd be like a diabetic in remission....that's my end goal. Unfortunately, having diabetes makes the process an up/down, forward/back process. You've impressed me with your will, in many posts here...so I'm sure we'll eventually both get there.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill,
I honestly believe and have been told by my doc (not there yet by a long shot) that consistent work on diet and exercise will eventually lead to enough weight loss, etc. that I might be able to get off some of all the meds.

My doctor has made similar statements, although he cautions that it is not good to have 'getting off meds' as a goal, because some people cannot do that no matter how healthy they get or how much weight they lose, through no fault of their own. He also cautioned that as I age, my need for medication will likely increase, again even if I am in prime condition.

I'd be like a diabetic in remission....that's my end goal. Unfortunately, having diabetes makes the process an up/down, forward/back process. You've impressed me with your will, in many posts here...so I'm sure we'll eventually both get there.

Thank you for the kind words. Diabetes is something I take very seriously. I know I cannot 'get rid of it', but I can beat it back, and that I intend to do.

I have had some discussion with my doctor about some of the terms he uses when talking about diabetes, and I know it is quite intentional. He says things to me like, "By losing weight and exercising often, you may delay the onset of the more serious side-effects of diabetes."

Gee, doc, what do you mean 'delay'? How about 'eliminate'?

His response is very sobering. In his opinion, no matter what I do, in the end I will face the same problems as all diabetics. If I live long enough, I will eventually end up losing limbs, my eyesight, etc. He says the best I can hope for, realistically, is to push back the beginning of end stage diabetes until I die of something else first.

Gosh, what a ray of sunshine! Well, it's better than nothing.

Like the guy who was convicted of a crime and sentenced to die. He made a deal with the king; if he'd just spare his life for one year, he'd teach the king's horse to fly. Every day he could be seen in the prison courtyard, whispering patiently in the horse's ear. One day, his friend asked him why he bothered; after all, everyone knows horses can't fly.

His friend replied that no one knows the future, and a lot can happen in a year. The king might have a change of heart and free him. The kingdom might be defeated in a war and he could sneak away in the confusion. Or the horse might actually learn to fly.

OP
J

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The doctor who said you will still lose limbs and eyesight etc. is a doom sayer. I used to be a CNA and a Caregiver, and I knew guys who were 95 with diabetes who hadn't lost limb or sight. Perhaps if you live to the age of Methuselah, or over 900 years, he may be right, but I don't believe his gloom and doom prediction. In fact people who have lost a lot of weight sometimes find they don't have diabetes again.

Regarding blood sugar going down to low during a workout, always have a glucose tablet or hard candy available if this occurs. You may have to stop your workout for a few minutes until your blood sugar goes back to normal. It would be a good idea to test your blood sugar when this occurs. You might want to try eating something with sugar that metabolizes slowly into your blood stream before your work out like an apple. Good luck, and please update me regarding how things are going.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have hypothyroidism, which does all sorts of fun things to my blood sugar levels. I had a diabetes scare earlier this summer. Fortunately it was just a scare, but I took it as a bit of a wakeup call because I have several risk factors.

Haven't been able to get on the mat on a regular basis, but I've been wearing a weight vest to help rehab my back. I now swim 3 or 4 miles a week (1 mile a day, 3-4 days a week), and feel eons better than I have before. I'm finally feeling good enough to get back on the mat and have my first private lesson today after a long period of being away. :partyon:

I agree very strongly that training is important :)

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes I too am a diabetic type II and have used martial arts to help control it for 5 years.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is more and more common to hear about people living active lives that have had diabetes for 30+ years and have little or no complications. There are better and better treatments coming out all of the time to control diabetes and also to treat its complications. It takes daily discipline and managing your numbers; the before and after meals numbers as well as keeping the A1C below 6%.
There is lots of reason for hope. Fight it 100% and live life to its fullest.

shaolin-warrior

White Belt
Reaction score
http://www.defeatdiabetes.org/advocacy_community/text.asp?id=MADDCAP_Intro

Martial Artist Defeat Diabetes Community Action Program........
My wife and I are looking at this program for our school.
MADDCAP™ Objectives

This program will:
• Help manifest the martial arts philosophy into the daily lives of your students.
• Teach life-saving information about diabetes and its prevention
• Provide an opportunity for participating Martial Arts schools to make presentations in local schools about diabetes
• Empower students to take community action in their own self-defense
• Develop activities that will generate the interest of the local media, government and general public

MADDCAP™ Goals

Year One
• Conduct outreach to Martial Arts schools
• Train 250 martial arts instructors about diabetes and its prevention who will form the core of MADDCAP™ instructors
• The 250 MADDCAP™ instructors will educate 10,000+ martial arts students about diabetes and its prevention (40 students per instructor)
• The 250 MADDCAP™ instructors will conduct 2-4 presentations in community based schools about diabetes and its prevention (500 – 1000 total presentations to groups of 30 – 100 for a (total of 15,000 – 25,000 students)
• Each participating MADDCAP™ school will conduct one fundraising event to support the MADDCAP™ program (total of 250 events). Funds will be donated to DDF to defray program material development and future improvements to program

Year Two
• Train an additional 250 martial arts instructors about diabetes and its prevention who will add to the community of MADDCAP™ instructors
• The 500 MADDCAP™ instructors will educate 20,000+ martial arts students about diabetes and its prevention (40 students per instructor)
• The 500 MADDCAP™ instructors will conduct 2-4 presentations in community based schools about diabetes and its prevention (1000 – 2000 total presentations) to groups of 30 – 100 for a (total of 30,000 – 50,000 students
• Each participating MADDCAP™ school will conduct one fundraising event to support the MADDCAP™ program (total of 500). Funds will be donated to DDF to defray program material development and future improvements to program
• Conduct outreach to martial arts students who have participated in the MADDCAP™ program to recruit them to be student leaders in their community
• Recruit and train 250 student leaders to deliver MADDCAP™ presentations to student groups and undertake community action projects
• Conduct 250 student leader presentations to average of 30 students (total 7500 students)

To register for the MADDCAP™ Program follow the link and enter your contact information into the form and be sure to select MADDCAP from the drop down menu. You will receive a welcome kit via email within 24 - 72 hours.

Latest Discussions