Master Wong - Legit?

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have trained several, including Shaolin and Tai Chi. Traditional wing chun IS a complete system that includes stand up, locks and throws, weapons training, and anti-takedown and anti-grappling techniques (those are ground techniques for those of you who don't know) that use the ten concepts and are very effective. To me, that makes it a COMPLETE SYSTEM!
----------------------------------------------------
True- wing chun is very natural. Understanding wing chun can be a problem for many.
The vietnamese Wong's wing chun is far removed from good Ip Man wing chun.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
----------------------------------------------------
True- wing chun is very natural. Understanding wing chun can be a problem for many.
The vietnamese Wong's wing chun is far removed from good Ip Man wing chun.

First, you are replying to something this is 3 years old. Second, Pan Nam Wing Chun is NOT Vietnamese Wing Chun. This "wingchunguy" didn't know what he was talking about in a lot of areas. ;-)

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Second, Pan Nam Wing Chun is NOT Vietnamese Wing Chun.

He never mentioned Vietnamese Wing Chun. :confused:

He said "the Vietnamese Wong's Wing Chun", i.e. the Wing Chun of Michael Wong who is Vietnamese.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
First, you are replying to something this is 3 years old. Second, Pan Nam Wing Chun is NOT Vietnamese Wing Chun. This "wingchunguy" didn't know what he was talking about in a lot of areas. ;-)

I think it is worth bringing up however that Pan Nam's style is pretty far removed from typical WC, even most of the mainland schools.

My sifu told me that when he touched hands with his teacher after he had finished learning the Pan Nam style, his teacher had actually gotten worse instead of better. If he would have went and learned from somebody like Sum Nung, that probably wouldn't have happened.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it is worth bringing up however that Pan Nam's style is pretty far removed from typical WC, even most of the mainland schools.

My sifu told me that when he touched hands with his teacher after he had finished learning the Pan Nam style, his teacher had actually gotten worse instead of better. If he would have went and learned from somebody like Sum Nung, that probably wouldn't have happened.

That would depend on why his skills deteriorated. Sometimes learning something new or different will create conflicting responses and mess up your performance, ...at least for a while. It doesn't mean that the new method is bad in and of itself. Maybe it just messed with what he already knew.

That's why it's not always a great idea to try and learn every system you can.

BTW, was the sifu in question Eddie Chong?

Last edited:

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
He never mentioned Vietnamese Wing Chun. :confused:

He said "the Vietnamese Wong's Wing Chun", i.e. the Wing Chun of Michael Wong who is Vietnamese.

Actually.....if you care to go back and read through "wingchunguy's" rambling, he said this:

That's because Master Wong does Pan Nam wing chun, a vietnamese version of wing chun, which is similar to the Ip Man version, but has some differences.

That is what I assumed Joy was referring to, because what point would there have been in Joy pointing out Wong's ethnicity???

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is what I assumed Joy was referring to, because what point would there have been in Joy pointing out Wong's ethnicity???

Because there is more than one "Master Wong" in the Wing Chun world?

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because there is more than one "Master Wong" in the Wing Chun world?

Maybe so! But it never occurred to me in the context of the thread that making this distinction would be necessary. Most people refer to "Wong Shun Leung". When people say "Master Wong"....especially when he was the topic of the OP that started the thread....people usually know the distinction. And, given that "wingchunguy" had erroneously called Pan Nam WCK "Vietnamese"....well.... But maybe you are right! I, for one, didn't even know that Michael Wong is Vietnamese.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're right about Pan Nam anyway.

I used to suspect Michael Wong might be Thai, from his accent, which I've seen people call Chinglish (including in this thread)... but it's not a Chinese accent, Cantonese or other... despite him having a common Cantonese surname. He also looks Southeast Asian.

His bio online says he came to England at the age of 10 as a refugee from Vietnam. So he may just spell his name like the Cantonese equivalent to the surname in Vietnamese. Better marketing than Master Vuong? Or maybe he's part Chinese. I dunno...

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
... Or maybe he's part Chinese. I dunno...
Wouldn't be surprising. There are a lot of ethnic Chinese in Vietnam.

BTW, It is widely held that GM. Yip and many other Chinese Sifus of the older generation, did not teach non-Chinese, or at least held back some knowledge if they did. But today, do people still feel that the best and most knowledgeable WC practitioners are all Chinese?

wtxs

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprising. There are a lot of ethnic Chinese in Vietnam.

BTW, It is widely held that GM. Yip and many other Chinese Sifus of the older generation, did not teach non-Chinese, or at least held back some knowledge if they did. But today, do people still feel that the best and most knowledgeable WC practitioners are all Chinese?

Until all of the older generation Chinese masters go meet their maker for eternal session of Dim Sum:p, taking all their WC "secrets":rolleyes: with them, it stands to reason that the best and most knowledgeable WC practitioners at this time are Chinese.

Ssssssh ... there are no WC secrets:sorry:, just knowledge withheld.

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
That would depend on why his skills deteriorated. Sometimes learning something new or different will create conflicting responses and mess up your performance, ...at least for a while. It doesn't mean that the new method is bad in and of itself. Maybe it just messed with what he already knew.

That's why it's not always a great idea to try and learn every system you can.

BTW, was the sifu in question Eddie Chong?

Shhhhhhh.

LFJ

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ssssssh ... there are no WC secrets:sorry:, just knowledge withheld.

The real secret is they have no knowledge to withhold! :bag:

Honestly, I've lived in China for a long time, traveled and trained all over, and I'm convinced the best practitioners of any TCMA nowadays are Westerners. The Chinese can't fight and they believe their own b.s. like breaking bricks makes one a great fighter. They stopped caring about realism a long time ago. Westerners have taken it, tested it, and made it work again. China is the last place I would go for practical TCMA training, unless a really good foreigner is teaching. (Obviously, I'm not talking about race. It has to do with their culture of blind faith, superstition... gullibility.)

guy b.

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The real secret is they have no knowledge to withhold! :bag:

Honestly, I've lived in China for a long time, traveled and trained all over, and I'm convinced the best practitioners of any TCMA nowadays are Westerners. The Chinese can't fight and they believe their own b.s. like breaking bricks makes one a great fighter. They stopped caring about realism a long time ago. Westerners have taken it, tested it, and made it work again. China is the last place I would go for practical TCMA training, unless a really good foreigner is teaching. (Obviously, I'm not talking about race. It has to do with their culture of blind faith, superstition... gullibility.)

I would agree. China is like the 1980s were in US and Europe in terms of evolution of martial arts. Looking for nuggets of goodness there could take a lifetime.

Swaggy8484

White Belt
Reaction score
MASTER WONG IS A LEGIT WING CHUN MASTER AND JKD TOO CHECK ON GOOGLE SIFU MICHAEL WONG MY FRIEND

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This guy in the video is Master Wong. Apparently UK based, he's supposed to be a Wing Chun and JKD expert and has a significant Youtube following crowd. The thing is, I can't find any info on him. No wikipedia profile or any profile of any kind that I saw.

Is he a respected authority on Wing Chun? Does anyone here know him?

I think he's legit. He may not use the traditional Wing Chun approach because he's appealing to a contemporary audience. His teachings are effective and very helpful. I've found alot of things he says agree with Wing Chun principles like kicking no higher than the waistline. Although i can see why people would dislike him. Some teachings are "unfair" like attacking your opponent at their blindspots rather than mirroring their centerline.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
master wong wing chun training - Yahoo Video Search Results

Notice in this video how often MW ends a sequence and ends up with nearly all his weight on the back foot. I'm no Wing Chun guy, but I've heard that Leung Ting taught using 100% weight on the back foot. Straighten me out if I'm wrong.

OK. I see that. So what do you make of it? Do you think Master Wong has been watching Leung Ting videos or trained with some LT guys?

More importantly, where did he get those sound-effects? Hmmm, Hmm, Hmm, HMMMMM?

Old Judoka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
OK. I see that. So what do you make of it? Do you think Master Wong has been watching Leung Ting videos or trained with some LT guys?

More importantly, where did he get those sound-effects? Hmmm, Hmm, Hmm, HMMMMM?

Well......he is awfully noisy for a wing chun guy, I've never heard so much grunting and groaning. LOL About the LT question. I don't know enough to be certain that is what is going on. Just an observation. If you watch some of his videos when he is teaching, he seems kind of sloppy compared to other videos I've watched. He also seems to use a lot of physical power in his movements. To paraphrase Dominic Izzo, his wing chun is "all yang, no yin". MW is fast and powerful, in a physical kind of way.

Latest Discussions