MartialTalk Policy updates and changes

M

Melissa426

I just got edited for referring to unpopular politicians by the vernacular of the word for "anus."
I don't pretend to not know that I was skirting the rules.

I have done it before and nothing happened. Is it because it just didn't get noticed?

And while the policy states cursing/profanity is prohibited, who draws the line?
Kaith?
Moderators?
Someone who reports my posts?

Thanks for your answers!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Melissa, your prior mishap probably just got missed. It can be hard to catch every little thing, but ... we try. :ultracool

I sent you a PM about this. For the record, all staff try to catch the circumvention of profanity as it is against the rules. The profanity filter here is designed to catch as much as reasonably possible and does not penalize the user. So we ask users to let the filter do its job rather than try to work around it.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to ask away.

Thanks again for your continued membership!

Georgia Ketchmark
MT Moderator

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi Melissa,
We do get asked that a bit. The short version is, we make the call based on what standards we want to maintain. When we come across a posible violation, we look at it in context and make a judgement call. Basically, if you need to use it (profanity), just type it out and let the filter do it's thing. We don't actually filter alot, just alot of variations of a few.

Thank you,
Bob

Heres the blurb from the forum rules:

Profanity and other "forbidden" terms.
MartialTalk strives to be a comfortable place for everyone, regardless of race, religion, age, gender, sexuality or nationality. To meet that goal, we maintain a list of 'banned' words and phrases. This list includes popular profanities, slurs and several phrases termed "hate speech". While we can not hope to cover them all, we do try to cover the most common ones and their variants within the English language.

While we acknowledge that standard "netiquette" is to self-censor by replacing some of the letters with other characters, we ask that you do not do that here. If you must use a term, please type it out in its entirety and allow our filter to do its job.

Please refrain from the following 'tricks' and self censoring actions.

- Replacing a letter with a look-similar number : Example- h1t
- Replacing vowels with asterisks : Example- B*B
- Replacing all but the first and last letter with asterisks : Example- E*****e
- Creative spacing, BBS code, spelling it out (H-I-T), or similar work arounds.

If in your reading, you discover a term that you deem offensive, please do not take the poster to task. Use the Report to Moderator feature and let us know why you believe it is offensive. Our staff will then investigate and act accordingly.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really. If someone feels it is needed for anything, best place would probably be the same forum the problem occured in.

Then again, I do wonder if an official "sorry" forum would get more traffic than the Announcement forum? hmmm...... :D

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No. Just deal with it in-thread, or send a PM to the involved person. You can always note in-thread that you are dealing with this via email or PM.

-Michael

PS - sorry Bob, posting at the same time - MB

Reaction score
Dear Bob Hubbard Sensei
Thank you so much for the martialtalk.com website. It is great for us in South Africa toshare with so many Fellow Martial Artist globally. May your site go from strength to strength, and continue to promote the world of Martial Arts. Once again,thank you so much.

Yours in the Spirit of Budo/Wushu
Dr Rubin Frank Rhode, Sensei (Godan)

Sniped5050

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for providing an organized forum for information and round table discussions. your forum provides an area where new comers such as myself can grow and have multiple sources for useful information as opposed to limited opinions. I am sure many, if not all appriciate your hard work as I do.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think this is a good thing happening. Thanks Bob, for keeping things friendly!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've found that this site privides an enormous variety of styles and opinions to explore. I also use it as a great place to relax. Thanks for keeping the standards high. As an old school practitioner I believe in the tenets of humility, dedication, and respect. I don't need to waste my time on one upsmanship and egos.
Dennis

Manseau

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for your support and contributions.
:asian:
Bob, I recently painted my self in a corner in one of the discussion forums. I appreciated being given enough rope to rectify my own stupidity without having been shown the door. I like the people on this site and they seem to be a good bunch. When I have repaired the damage I've done to myself, I'll repost my personal info in the settings. Thanks for a great site and your efforts to keep it that way. I'll make every effort to do my part. Regards, David

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bob, I recently painted my self in a corner in one of the discussion forums. I appreciated being given enough rope to rectify my own stupidity without having been shown the door. I like the people on this site and they seem to be a good bunch. When I have repaired the damage I've done to myself, I'll repost my personal info in the settings. Thanks for a great site and your efforts to keep it that way. I'll make every effort to do my part. Regards, David

David, many posters here have gotten caught up in a controversial subject and gotten a bit carried away, but very few have had the courage to apologize. As someone who has been here for quite awhile, I think that says more about your true colors than anything else. Personally, I'm very glad you joined us here and I hope you keep posting! :asian:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Additionally... You're required to provide a real name and real location. You are NOT required to make that information public. If you look at my profile, you'll see my first name only, and a region. You can't see the full name and location that I provided. That's always an option for any user... If you look at your profile, you'll see two slots for Real Name. One says "REQ Real Name"; the other says "Real Name". That second one is the one that shows publicly; it can say anything from your full legal name to whatever... or nothing at all. Same thing with the Location.

Latest Discussions