Martial Talk's GMA Martial Arts Lineages

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, sure, take the easy way. :)
What about the other arts you've studied? Hmmm?
That gets complicated and I don't always know all the names in the various lineages.

Even the BJJ lineage is vastly oversimplified. It's basically just the direct line of who promoted whom leading to my current rank. If I were to post all the people I've learned from and all the people they've learned from, it would be a huge mess. I'd need at least twenty-seven full sized posters with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'll have to do this in pieces.

Tae-Kwon- Do - Billy Blanks, under Jong Soo Park, under Choi Hong Hi

Grappling - Rickson Gracie, under Helio Gracie...under whoever taught Helio.
Romalo Barros, under Rickson Gracie, under Helio Gracie...under whoever taught Helio.

Impossible for me to trace my lineage in boxing. Most have since passed away, don't know who taught them.

Karate is gonna' take a while.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That gets complicated and I don't always know all the names in the various lineages.

Even the BJJ lineage is vastly oversimplified. It's basically just the direct line of who promoted whom leading to my current rank. If I were to post all the people I've learned from and all the people they've learned from, it would be a huge mess. I'd need at least twenty-seven full sized posters with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one.

Ya, but those would be some pretty cool posters. Fascinating, too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I'll have to do this in pieces.

Tae-Kwon- Do - Billy Blanks, under Jong Soo Park, under Choi Hong Hi

Grappling - Rickson Gracie, under Helio Gracie...under whoever taught Helio.
Romalo Barros, under Rickson Gracie, under Helio Gracie...under whoever taught Helio.

Impossible for me to trace my lineage in boxing. Most have since passed away, don't know who taught them.

Karate is gonna' take a while.

You know, I once trained some Xingyi and Bagua with a guy who had a link to BP Chan and Frank Allen. I was never in the lineages but I once tried to figure out the lineage of BP Chan, and he never talked about it so that went no where. And then I saw a video of Frank Allen explaining his Xingyiquan lineage and that got so incredibly confusing I gave up trying to figure it out

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study Isshinryu Karate, an Okinawan style. I am a third-generation student of the founder. Everyone who knows my sensei knows my lineage; no one else needs to know.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I study Isshinryu Karate, an Okinawan style. I am a third-generation student of the founder. Everyone who knows my sensei knows my lineage; no one else needs to know.

You old fuddy duddy. We don't need to know. But it's kind of fun to discuss.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally couldn't care less about lineage. Lineage to me simply means who signs your grading certificate. I train at the club I train at because it's a convenient place to train and I enjoy it there not because of who's lineage it is.

I find lineage just causes ego arguments by saying "my schools better than yours because of our lineage" which of course is untrue your teacher could've trained with the founder of your style doesn't mean he's any good of a teacher or practitioner.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You old fuddy duddy. We don't need to know. But it's kind of fun to discuss.

And then another goofball calls my sensei on the phone or starts sending him emails. No thanks! It happens enough as it is - you'd be amazed how people react to what they read on public forums.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And then another goofball calls my sensei on the phone or starts sending him emails. No thanks! It happens enough as it is - you'd be amazed how people react to what they read on public forums.
Alright Bill, I'll quit doing that, since you take it so personally...

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Alright Bill, I'll quit doing that, since you take it so personally...

Yeah, quit bugging Bill's sensei with e-mails and phone calls. That's so impersonal and annoying. Do what I do and just show up at his house in person with a print-out of everything Bill has said online. Best to do it late at night so you know he's home. If the lights are out, just tap on the bedroom window. He'll be happy to know his student is making such an impression on people. :)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
To me sharing lineage is just a way of finding more commonalities among people on the board and maybe learn some stuff about fellow posters.

Maybe some posters find that their lineages intersect and will find that interesting.

Maybe create more dialogue and discussions.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally couldn't care less about lineage. Lineage to me simply means who signs your grading certificate. I train at the club I train at because it's a convenient place to train and I enjoy it there not because of who's lineage it is.

I find lineage just causes ego arguments by saying "my schools better than yours because of our lineage" which of course is untrue your teacher could've trained with the founder of your style doesn't mean he's any good of a teacher or practitioner.
Lineage doesn't cause ego arguments - ego problems do that. Lineage is just a fact, something interesting to discuss to see how different folks' training is related. Anything beyond that is people putting too much stock in what lineage "should be" IMO.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't. I had a bit of a run-in with someone years ago because I mentioned him in a forum. I still don't get it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bill, I generally like your pugnacious attitude, but this is a very odd post.

EDIT: LOL. Nevermind. I just read the rest of the thread, and while I'm glad I'm not the only one, my intent wasn't to pile on. :)

But this does remind me of the old saying, "Those who know will never tell, and those who will tell will never know." Bill's mantra.

Last edited:

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to admit I don't.
See if this helps:

"We walked in, sat down, Obie came in with the twenty seven eight-by-ten
Colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back
Of each one, sat down. Man came in said, "All rise." We all stood up,
And Obie stood up with the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
Pictures, and the judge walked in sat down with a seeing eye dog, and he
Sat down, we sat down. Obie looked at the seeing eye dog, and then at the
Twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles and arrows
And a paragraph on the back of each one, and looked at the seeing eye dog.
And then at twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy pictures with circles
And arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one and began to cry,
'Cause Obie came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
Blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the
Judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
Pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each
One explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us. And
We was fined $50 and had to pick up the garbage in the snow, but thats not
What I came to tell you about."

Latest Discussions