Martial Talk Reference Library

Robert

White Belt
Reaction score
Good Evening To All,

My name is Robert and this is my first time posting to the forum. I am looking forward to conversing with all martial artists involved here and to share my thoughts and views as well. I have trained most of my life and continue to study. I am anxious to see new ways, views, and other schools of thought.
Martial arts changed my life as a boy and remains as important to me today as when I first began. Looking forward to chatting with each of you soon. Have a great night. Mind Body Spirit

Cordially Yours,

Robert

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Robert maybe you should go to the meet and greet section and that way everybody will be able to say hello.

kajikan

White Belt
Reaction score
You may already be aware that most judo federations and associations offer a good selection of judo an ju-jitsu books in their libray and can be accessible by writing to them.
There are also limited editions covering historical judo development in Canada for those who may be interested.

Reaction score
I have several books on both Modern Arnis and Karate sparring up on my website. The Modern Arnis books are:

De-fanging The Snake: A Guide To Modern Arnis Disarms
Advanced Modern Arnis: A Road To Mastery

The Karate books are:
American Freestyle Karate: A Guide To Sparring
Tactics And Strategies

You can see images of the covers, reviews and ordering information by going to the link below.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson is one of the good ones.

Not only is Dan one of the best out there, he can teach what he does so well.

And his books also convey those skills to a disciplined person that want the best tactics available in how-to-fight.

I recommend all of his products 100%.

Dr. John M. La Tourrette
www.realspeedhitting.com

Ayuki

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi people I'm pleased I can join you here. TARAAAAAAAAA.

Super Six

White Belt
Reaction score
Want to clear up some confusion pertaining to Combato.

Combato and Defendo were two systems developed by Bill Underwood a native of England who imigrated to Canada. Much about his background is available on the internet, my focus is going to be on the system itself.
Underwoods system had its initial roots is combat jiujitsu, this he learned and had exposure to in England as a child. Many additional influences help to develop his system of Combato. Western Boxing, Wrestling, Korean and Chinese systems as well. Mr. Underwood through study and assimilation began to formulate disabling or killing techniques from the various systems. The full and true extent of how he created Combato will truly never been known. My understanding is extensive study was done by Mr. Underwood looking into the nervous system, balance point,etc. This assimilating of killing techniques was called Combato. Combato is based on reverse pressure techiques. The key to the effectiveness of Combato was based on its offense and defensive tactics. Overloading, Tornado, Angle creation, Extreme conditioning and Extreme Speed training formulated the backbone of the attack on guard position. It is this grouping that created the Combato Blocking system. The Combato Blocking system which is primarily offensive blocking ( also includes defense off-course) is what speeded up the system and created the reversing techniques which up until the creation of the Combato had not been seen by North American Military experts.
Combato at the advanced level consisted of 6 primary block or attack angles, 8 blocking techniques, Striking of all kinds though and emphasis on low kicks and open hands. 11 primary pressure points and 22 secondary for escape techniques or other applications. A series of 33 kill movements, 3 sets of 11 movements were the heart of the system with the blocking system as the backbone. (Spinal Cord manipulation, Air, Blood and Pressurizing techniques) Keep in mind the purpose of Combato was to kill or render your enemy ineffective. Block and "speed and surprise spell success" was the mantra of Combato. From my understanding Combato was the Allied Forces standard for trained Assassins until 1982 when the program was abolished. (Uncertain of this)

After World War 2 Bill created and marketed his system of Defendo which was a system of Compliance and Control. Robbie Cressman out of Toronto is and expert on this system and he can answer your questions. What I know of the system I learned form him.

Your probably wondering where did I get this information. My father taught the system to my brother and I. He studied the system direct from Bill Underwood. He was chosen as an elite athlete and someone who had extensive fight training. He grew up Boxing, studied JiuJitsu form Sgt Major Bradley in the Canadian Army, plus took Battle Drill and Commando Training in Air Force. He was one of the first Air Force Commando's.

Underwood also taught a system to various elite Commando and Army units in North America. He actually had two systems, the field system had far less emphasis on silent killing and had alot of ground finishing techniques called Ground Dummying.

If you have any questions about Underwood or Combato I would be honored to answer.

In my Father's word, Underwood was a genious.

Baba Balogun

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Afrikan Martial Arts: Discovering the Warrior Within.

Great book!

Datito

White Belt
Reaction score
Dear Martial Artists,
May I introduce myself.
I am a Grand Master of Myanmar Thaing.
My late masters are U Pye Thein and U Chit Than.
Their names and photos are in the book " Asian Fighting Arts "
I am now acting as a Vice President of Myanmar Thaing Federation in Myanmar.I am a lawyer by profession.
My email is [email protected]
Wish you all masters.
Best regards,
U Mya Thein
Minglaba Grand Master U May Thein
I have been unable to make contact with you via you e-mail address,
please confirm your e-mail address.
Thank you (Chazutinbade)
Paul keogh
Bando Thaing student

littledragon997

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone
I started learning martial arts.
I'm looking for a website
get free download all martial arts

can you help me!!?

Old sarge

White Belt
Reaction score

Combato and Defendo were two systems developed by Bill Underwood a native of England who imigrated to Canada. Much about his background is available on the internet, my focus is going to be on the system itself.
Underwoods system had its initial roots is combat jiujitsu, this he learned and had exposure to in England as a child. Many additional influences help to develop his system of Combato. Western Boxing, Wrestling, Korean and Chinese systems as well. Mr. Underwood through study and assimilation began to formulate disabling or killing techniques from the various systems. The full and true extent of how he created Combato will truly never been known. My understanding is extensive study was done by Mr. Underwood looking into the nervous system, balance point,etc. This assimilating of killing techniques was called Combato. Combato is based on reverse pressure techiques. The key to the effectiveness of Combato was based on its offense and defensive tactics. Overloading, Tornado, Angle creation, Extreme conditioning and Extreme Speed training formulated the backbone of the attack on guard position. It is this grouping that created the Combato Blocking system. The Combato Blocking system which is primarily offensive blocking ( also includes defense off-course) is what speeded up the system and created the reversing techniques which up until the creation of the Combato had not been seen by North American Military experts.
Combato at the advanced level consisted of 6 primary block or attack angles, 8 blocking techniques, Striking of all kinds though and emphasis on low kicks and open hands. 11 primary pressure points and 22 secondary for escape techniques or other applications. A series of 33 kill movements, 3 sets of 11 movements were the heart of the system with the blocking system as the backbone. (Spinal Cord manipulation, Air, Blood and Pressurizing techniques) Keep in mind the purpose of Combato was to kill or render your enemy ineffective. Block and "speed and surprise spell success" was the mantra of Combato. From my understanding Combato was the Allied Forces standard for trained Assassins until 1982 when the program was abolished. (Uncertain of this)

After World War 2 Bill created and marketed his system of Defendo which was a system of Compliance and Control. Robbie Cressman out of Toronto is and expert on this system and he can answer your questions. What I know of the system I learned form him.

Your probably wondering where did I get this information. My father taught the system to my brother and I. He studied the system direct from Bill Underwood. He was chosen as an elite athlete and someone who had extensive fight training. He grew up Boxing, studied JiuJitsu form Sgt Major Bradley in the Canadian Army, plus took Battle Drill and Commando Training in Air Force. He was one of the first Air Force Commando's.

Underwood also taught a system to various elite Commando and Army units in North America. He actually had two systems, the field system had far less emphasis on silent killing and had alot of ground finishing techniques called Ground Dummying.

If you have any questions about Underwood or Combato I would be honored to answer.

Not sure I'm going to get a reply after 10 years but cost nothing to try :)... I have an interest in old school methods of combat jiu-jitsu. I have review Underwood's COMBATO book and doesn't seem to have too many kill moves in it. Mostly jiu-jitsu throws, grips and leverage. Eve

Just found this post and it got my attention. I'm researching old school methods of combat jiu-jitsu (ww2, ww1 and pre-war american and british methods). Would like to know more about this killing system. Just curious, because I got Underwood's combato book, and it's for the most part grips, leverage and takedowns. General stuff typical from that era. Even the atemi-wazas as set-up actions for grappling are virtually absent. Can you give me more details about the combato system that your father learned? Thank you

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure I'm going to get a reply after 10 years but cost nothing to try :)... I have an interest in old school methods of combat jiu-jitsu. I have review Underwood's COMBATO book and doesn't seem to have too many kill moves in it. Mostly jiu-jitsu throws, grips and leverage. Eve

Just found this post and it got my attention. I'm researching old school methods of combat jiu-jitsu (ww2, ww1 and pre-war american and british methods). Would like to know more about this killing system. Just curious, because I got Underwood's combato book, and it's for the most part grips, leverage and takedowns. General stuff typical from that era. Even the atemi-wazas as set-up actions for grappling are virtually absent. Can you give me more details about the combato system that your father learned? Thank you
You'll usually get better results from starting a new thread, rather than trying to revive an old one. You can still quote across threads (highlight the text of a post and choose "quote" rather than "reply").

In any case, there are a few members from 10 years ago still on the forum, and maybe someone newer here has some info for you.

Latest Discussions