Develop your "door guarding" skill

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you throw a punch, if your opponent blocks it, you can use your punching arm to pull his blocking arm, and then punch with another hand. If you just train this single technique 100 times daily for 1000 days, you should have repeated this over 100,000 time. You should have developed "punch, grab, and punch" as your "door guarding" skill.

Your thought?

Bruce-arm-jam.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What happens when they punch in an unexpected way, don't punch, or you miss the grab?

If you're going to have a 'door guarding' skill, I think it'd make more sense to be something where you attack first, to limit the options they have. An example would be jab-takedown, or duck/charge-double hook punch-sweep if needed.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What happens when they punch in an unexpected way, don't punch, or you miss the grab?

If you're going to have a 'door guarding' skill, I think it'd make more sense to be something where you attack first, to limit the options they have. An example would be jab-takedown, or duck/charge-double hook punch-sweep if needed.
I'm talking about "you punch first".

- You punch.
- Your opponent blocks.
- You grab and pull his blocking arm.
- You punch with another arm.
- Your opponent blocks again.

Of course if your opponent just dodges your punch without blocking it, you just punch again.

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another similar technique is:

- You punch.
- Your opponent blocks.
- You use the other hand to re-block his block.
- You continue punch with the same arm.

Bruce-Lee-switch-hand-1.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm talking about "you punch first".

- You punch.
- Your opponent blocks.
- You grab and pull his blocking arm.
- You punch with another arm.
- Your opponent blocks again.

Of course if your opponent just dodges your punch without blocking it, you just punch again.
That's what i get for replying at 1am. Totally misread that.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you throw a punch, if your opponent blocks it, you can use your punching arm to pull his blocking arm, and then punch with another hand. If you just train this single technique 100 times daily for 1000 days, you should have repeated this over 100,000 time. You should have developed "punch, grab, and punch" as your "door guarding" skill.

Your thought?

Bruce-arm-jam.gif
I don't like the video. Because of how the arms are crossed. I understand what is going on, but I think there are more practical ways to pull down with the punching arms. My thoughts is that it will be very difficult to end up in the same position as what you see in the video. I just think the video is just a bad example. The video seems like a position that someone who does WingChun or JKD would be in. I couldn't see a boxer, Muay Thai, or BJJ guy getting their arms crossed like that.

But using the punching arm to pull down the arm that just blocked the punch is pretty standard in Kung fu systems. I also don't think 100 times daily for 1000 days would be enough, this would only make you good at using the technique against one type of punch that you trained against.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's what i get for replying at 1am. Totally misread that.
lol. it's not you. it was the video. The video that he used is not a good example of it as people aren't commonly in that position. Usually the person throws the punch you block and pull them. Normally when you punch first you are ready to send that second punch down the pipe. If you are thinking 1-2 jab then that's what you are going to do. You aren't going to throw the first jab and think to grab the arm that just block you. You are going to think, launch the second jab as planned.

The only way I would grab an arm with my punching hand is if I think there's a good chance for my punch to be blocked. So I'm counting on my punch to be blocked so I can counter with the grab. This is what my thinking would be with someone who has good defense against my punches. But in that sense, I'm no longer thinking 1-2 jab. I thinking Jab then grab.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can punch with one hand and then grab with another hand. Most of the throws are set up this way.

Bruce-cut.gif

my-side-door-cut.gif
These videos show better what you are talking about in your original post. I actually like your video better than how Bruce is showing. Bruce's video still looks like Wing Chun vs Wing Chun. Your video shows more of what someone may encounter in an actual fight where the jab triggers the defense and then sets up the grab.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
These videos show better what you are talking about in your original post. I actually like your video better than how Bruce is showing. Bruce's video still looks like Wing Chun vs Wing Chun. Your video shows more of what someone may encounter in an actual fight where the jab triggers the defense and then sets up the grab.
If you look at both clips, the elbow joint control point are different.

- Most strikers like to control "on top of" their opponent's elbow joint.
- Most wrestlers like to control "below" their opponent's elbow joint.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So overall i agree developing a door guarding skill is important, but I still don't think the one you posted is a good example of one. Mainly because it relies on a specific response (a block). It won't work if they back out, try to counter or block in an unusual way.

You can adapt it to handle those situations, which is fine, but when I think of a move like what you're suggesting, I think of one where you drill just that move over and over and over again. That means you want to get it as quick as possible, relying on musclememory, ans not reacting to your opponent. So it should be something that will work regardless of how your opponent reacts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you look at both clips, the elbow joint control point are different.

- Most strikers like to control "on top of" their opponent's elbow joint.
- Most wrestlers like to control "below" their opponent's elbow joint.
In Jow ga we control below / under the elbow, it's better to lock something out and the option to hyper extend something or snap something by being it the wrong way. A lot of escapes that are taught in our 2 man set involves bending the arm. A lot of grappling and strikes that we have rely on having that elbow or knee in a locked position and then sending force into the joint as well. I know there are a few Chin Na techniques that require to control below the elbow simply so the opponent cannot counter the lock attempt with a strike. I know Wing Chun does a lot of "on top of" traps.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In Jow ga we control below / under the elbow, it's better to lock something out and the option to hyper extend something or snap something by being it the wrong way. A lot of escapes that are taught in our 2 man set involves bending the arm. A lot of grappling and strikes that we have rely on having that elbow or knee in a locked position and then sending force into the joint as well. I know there are a few Chin Na techniques that require to control below the elbow simply so the opponent cannot counter the lock attempt with a strike. I know Wing Chun does a lot of "on top of" traps.
The praying mantis system also does a lot of "on top of" trap too. IMO, when your opponent can still bend his elbow joint, it's not a good control. But a striker may not care about control that much.

Brendan-switch-hand-1.gif

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The praying mantis system also does a lot of "on top of" trap too. IMO, when your opponent can still bend his elbow joint, it's not a good control. But a striker may not care about control that much.

I think it depends on how important that control is. If I am just trying to make it slightly difficult for them to bring their arm/hand back to where it was, I don't care how effective I am at preventing that. As long as it takes them long enough for me to get my shot off, I don't care. With grappling, there's more time for the person to fight your control/throw/grapple, so it's more important that you have good control.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So overall i agree developing a door guarding skill is important, but I still don't think the one you posted is a good example of one. Mainly because it relies on a specific response (a block). It won't work if they back out, try to counter or block in an unusual way.

You can adapt it to handle those situations, which is fine, but when I think of a move like what you're suggesting, I think of one where you drill just that move over and over and over again. That means you want to get it as quick as possible, relying on musclememory, ans not reacting to your opponent. So it should be something that will work regardless of how your opponent reacts.
There are many door guarding skill that's worthwhile to develop. Hope in this thread, people can suggest their favor door guarding skill so we can all be benefitted from it.

One of my favor one is to use a circular punch to interrupt an incoming straight punch. My defense is heavily depend on it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think it depends on how important that control is. If I am just trying to make it slightly difficult for them to bring their arm/hand back to where it was, I don't care how effective I am at preventing that. As long as it takes them long enough for me to get my shot off, I don't care. With grappling, there's more time for the person to fight your control/throw/grapple, so it's more important that you have good control.
The way I look at this is if I can put my hand on my opponent's throat and take him down, I truly don't want to punch on his face (for legal issue). So control can be more civilized solution.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are many door guarding skill that's worthwhile to develop. Hope in this thread, people can suggest their favor door guarding skill so we can all be benefitted from it.

One of my favor one is to use a circular punch to interrupt an incoming straight punch. My defense is heavily depend on it.
Mine is actually one of the ones that I mentioned earlier. If I know a fight is about to happen, I do a duck and step forward with my left leg, while I throw a hook with my right to the face. I follow that with a hook from my left, and then one more hook with my right, followed by either a clinch or a run.

What I train for if I'm not expecting it-after initial block/dodge/whatever, throw my hand in their face (almost a jab but main point is vision block) --> double leg takedown-->whatever follows.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

What am I looking at in that video? It makes no sense to me. Is he supposed to be slipping a punch?

Latest Discussions