Martial Arts Quiz :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gosh, all I was doing was having a little fun and doing the quiz

Right… let's take a look at what you said, then…

1. Art of open hand I believe

Nope. There is no mention of "open", or "art" in the term "karate".

2. Judo aikido

Would be two of many, many, many systems that utilise a grappling-heavy syllabus and methodology… but are hardly the only ones… of course, that particular question has raised a number of eyebrows as to what was actually meant…

3. Japan, also called ronin given their status

Er… what? The question is "which country", to which you answer "Japan, also called ronin"… I never knew Japan was sometimes called Ronin… or that that was to do with Japan's status…

A little more seriously, the idea of what a ronin was was also something that changed from time to time, and from place to place. In some occasions, it was considered a low position for a samurai to fall to, having lost gainful employment themselves (for whatever reason, either through their own actions, or the loss of status of the household they served most commonly), in other situations, it was a statement of individuality (particularly in the Edo period)… and in yet others, it was part of the development of the individual samurai. Some Daimyo would insist that samurai served a portion of time as a ronin in order to widen their views and understanding before being officially retained.

However, the fact remains that the term "ronin" was a way of categorising one particular form of samurai, or really, a way the samurai might find themselves… it was not an alternate term for "samurai" at all. You do know that there were multiple ranks for samurai, yeah?

Sure, if it's a Japanese art… it's a kwoon for Chinese systems… a dojang for Korean ones… gyms and training halls for Western methods… and any of a number of other terms that might be used.

I just realized that this was the easiest quiz on the planet

Perhaps not as easy as you thought…

OP
dominate_warrior

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here are the answers.

I apologize for not responding, I have been busy training for my own martial arts. And I do realize the excessive punctuation was probably unneeded, but I was trying to be funny but it came off as a little harsh.

Again I'm sorry for me being late on the quiz answers...My fault but here they are.

I realize that these questions were really easy but it was my first go at it so give me some slack.

1. Karate is a japanese word, which means open hand.
2. Jujitsu includes various throws, locks, and defensive techniques. It was invented in Japan over 2,500 years ago.
3. The Samurai were a class of ancient martial arts warriors from Japan.
4. A dojo is the name of the hall where martial arts are taught. It means place of the way in Japanese.

Thanks talk to y'all soon:)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the answers.

I apologize for not responding, I have been busy training for my own martial arts. And I do realize the excessive punctuation was probably unneeded, but I was trying to be funny but it came off as a little harsh.

Again I'm sorry for me being late on the quiz answers...My fault but here they are.

I realize that these questions were really easy but it was my first go at it so give me some slack.

2. Jujitsu includes various throws, locks, and defensive techniques. It was invented in Japan over 2,500 years ago.
4. A dojo is the name of the hall where martial arts are taught. It means place of the way in Japanese.

Thank you but I think you may need to specify which language you are referring to because we all train different arts, only a few train in a Dojo. Karate as been said also includes locks throws and defensive techniques, I believe other styles do also. The Samurai I will leave to Chris.
Well done on posting a quiz though I wouldn't have been brave enough, too many people know more than I do!

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you but I think you may need to specify which language you are referring to because we all train different arts...
Well done on posting a quiz though I wouldn't have been brave enough, too many people know more than I do!
And some of us can be a bit anal as to the specifics.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here are the answers.

Hi Emilie,

Ha, don't worry about the punctuation… at least you use it properly, which puts you above a number of others here!

Cool.

I don't think anyone is thinking badly of you for the questions themselves… the phrasing of some might be improved (it was a little hard to see what exactly you were meaning for a couple), but that's something that'll come with experience in communicating purely textually. And, in terms of them being easy… they were perhaps not as easy as you (and others) might have thought… but we'll look at your answers, and see what we have.

Actually, no, it doesn't. The term means "empty hand", not "open hand"… "empty" is "kara" (空), whereas "open" would be "kai" or "hiraki" (開).

As a fun little related concept (which uses the term for "open", hiraki), a New Year ritual in Japan is known as "Kagami Biraki" (Opening the Mirror), which has had connections to the warrior class for a long time, with modern iterations stemming from Kano instigating them in the Kodokan. Typically (in a martial art context), it is moved to correlate with "hatsugeiko" (the first training session of the year), whereas officially it is on the 11th of January.

Hmm… no, not really. For one thing, jujutsu (note the spelling), as a formalised system, doesn't exist. There are many different forms of jujutsu… many of which don't use the term "jujutsu" at all… with the oldest formalised jujutsu-centric system commonly believed to be the Takenouchi Ryu, which dates from about 1542… not quite 2,500 years ago. Additionally, the formation of a warrior class in Japan is really only about 1,000 years ago… so the date's really completely out.

When it comes to the make-up of a jujutsu system, well… that's largely dependent on the particular ryu-ha you're discussing itself. Some are fairly broad in their scope, others very particular. They might have a large weaponry syllabus, no weaponry syllabus, or anything in between… there might be lots of throwing methods, or none. Lots of striking or none. Lots of joint locks, or none. And, of course, anything in between.

You might also note that jujutsu is hardly unique in including various throws, locks, or defensive techniques… so do many Chinese systems, as does wrestling (traditional, catch-as-catch-can, freestyle, greco-roman, or any other form), and so on.

In other words, your question didn't specify anything that would single out jujutsu (which isn't a single art anyway), and the description given in your answer doesn't match many jujutsu (or jujutsu-like) systems, while it does match many non-jujutsu arts.

Well, yes and no… they were certainly from Japan, but, depending on the time period, they weren't necessarily "martial arts warriors"… they were more bureaucrats than anything else in their later history (there was the ideal, at least, of their "warrior class" status, but the reality wasn't always something that lived up to that). As with everything here, it's rather more complicated than it might appear at first glance...

Well, a dojo is the name of a teaching location (for martial arts) in Japan and Japanese arts… which wasn't specified in your question. Of course, it's interesting that you picked this term, as you train in TKD, which is a Korean art, rather than a Japanese one, so your training hall is rightly referred to as a "dojang"…

With your translation, on a literal level, yeah, that's right. The term is 道場, with the first character meaning "path/way/street", and the second meaning "(specific) place/location"… so one potential rendering of the term is "place of the way", sure. A little looser, but closer to the intent of the term, the reading is along the lines of "a specified place for the pursuit/study of the way/path (of whatever you're studying)". In other words, it becomes a dojo by being specifically designated as one. As such, it can have overtones of ritual, religious aspects, and so on, although they aren't essential… my kanji dictionary actually gives one definition as "a gymnasium" (for "dojo").

Cool.

One thing I wanted to emphasise here is that this wasn't meant to discourage you at all… more to highlight that there is much more to this area of knowledge than you might realise… and, although I echo Tez's comment that you were brave posting it here, and that's a good thing, I might caution against trying to put forth such tests of knowledge at this point… as, well, you don't have anything to back it up yet. You're young (15), and you're a white belt in TKD… I love the enthusiasm you're bringing, but the simple fact is that, at this point, you are simply largely ignorant of what you don't actually know, including how much that actually is. That's fine… it's where we all started… but at this point, you really should be more focused on learning… ask questions, pick the brains of as many people here as you can, read… but recognise that you currently don't have the understanding to quiz the membership here. This is shown in the questions themselves, as well as the answers.

Again, though, I love your enthusiasm, and want to do nothing but encourage you in that regard… and am simply suggesting a different approach will most likely get you a far better result.

And some of us can be a bit anal as to the specifics.

Sure… and some of us simply like to get the information right. That's not being anal… it's being correct.

Chuan and Quan are different ways of romanizing the character 拳, which means fist.

Or, in Japanese, "ken" (on'yomi)/"kobushi" (kun'yomi).

Latest Discussions