Martial Arts History, not ethics or spirituality with a dash of fiction

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Now I admittedly know a lot more about Chinese martial arts history than Japanese martial arts history and I know the least about Korean Martial arts history and as time goes on I will likely post what tidbits of CMA history I have. But this is a start and a general overview and it would be great to get others input and questions as to the ACTUAL history of Martial arts. And maybe just maybe we can get a better picture of the true origin and basis of the arts we all train.

European/Western MA history is equally as valid too. I have become quite interested in Russian martial arts of late and I know little about the history but I am learning.

Things that are facts that are closer to today are equally as valid and equally as interesting, at least to me.

And if absolutely no one finds this of any interest, that’s ok to. I will still be studying and pursuing the topic on my own anyway.

WARNING!!! Some Legends ahead, some easy to disprove, some easy to prove and many not so easy.

Chinese Martial Arts
http://www.answers.com/topic/chinese-martial-arts

The development of Chinese martial arts can initially be traced to self-defense needs, hunting activities and military training. Hand to hand combat and weapons practice were important components in the training of Chinese soldiers. Eventually, Chinese martial arts became an important element of Chinese culture.

Japanese Martial Arts
http://www.answers.com/topic/japanese-martial-arts

The historical origin of Japanese martial arts can be found in the warrior traditions of the samurai and the caste system that restricted the use of weapons by members of the non-warrior classes

Korean martial arts
http://www.answers.com/topic/korean-martial-arts

Ancient terminology is often used by modern founders of new schools. For example, Hwarangdo, an art passed down for many generations, somewhat similar to Hapkido, claims its roots in the Hwarang ( "flowering knights" which means "chosen knights") of Silla, although very little is known about the martial training of that time.

Taekyon, however, was fairly well known as an ancient Korean tradition that survived the Japanese occupation

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
A correction or two...

Hwarangdo and Kuk Sul Won pretty clearly broke off from Hapkido in the mid-20th century. The connections with ancient warriors and Korean royalty seem to have, hmm, little basis in historicity. Tae Kyon (JAMA had a nice piece about this years ago) has always been considered a folk game. It doesn't seem to have been considered something to fight with.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A correction or two...

Hwarangdo and Kuk Sul Won pretty clearly broke off from Hapkido in the mid-20th century. The connections with ancient warriors and Korean royalty seem to have, hmm, little basis in historicity. Tae Kyon (JAMA had a nice piece about this years ago) has always been considered a folk game. It doesn't seem to have been considered something to fight with.

I have always wondered about the ancient warriors and Korean royalty stuff. It seemed a bit to altruistic for me.

And THIS what I am talking about... THANKS

Latest Discussions